Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Always know how much yarn you need
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Spinner Central
 Spinning gadgets and accessories
 drum carding help/video
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

pugsweater
Gabber Extraordinaire

452 Posts

Posted - 09/01/2005 :  09:42:28 AM  Show Profile Send pugsweater a Private Message
i need help with carding, drum carding, hand carding, carding.

i have been getting a fiber mass/pile, not nice rolags, not nice neat batts.

has anyone found deb menz's video: fiber prep and multi-color blending techniques helpful?

i've been to several website with instructions for hand/drum carding but it always look easier than it really is, at least for me.

thank you.

Pugknits Blog

KathyR
Permanent Resident

New Zealand
2969 Posts

Posted - 09/01/2005 :  2:23:44 PM  Show Profile  Visit KathyR's Homepage Send KathyR a Private Message
Deb Menz' video is really good. Her book is excellent too.

Another that may help is Mabel Ross' video on Handspinning Advanced Techniques. She has one small clip on drumcarding for woollen spinning and also demonstrates handcarding. I think Patsy Zawistoski's video on Spinning Cotton, Silk and Flax also has a little on handcarding.

But for drumcarding you really can't beat Deb Menz.

Spin Off Magazine (Winter(?) 1994) also has a good how-to article on drum carding.

KathyR

Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
Go to Top of Page

pugsweater
Gabber Extraordinaire

452 Posts

Posted - 09/02/2005 :  01:31:43 AM  Show Profile Send pugsweater a Private Message
thanx so much, kathy :) i'm failing quite miserably at this, really appreciate your reply :)

Pugknits Blog
Go to Top of Page

Mike
Seriously Hooked

649 Posts

Posted - 09/02/2005 :  03:48:19 AM  Show Profile  Visit Mike's Homepage Send Mike a Private Message
Iíve been carding fibers to blend color into rolags for about a year and a half now. Iíve learned that less is better both in the loading of the cards and actually in the carding. I keep it very light with the cards just touching each other. As soon as the fibers look aligned with no clots of fiber I roll them off the cards. The mixing of color is incomplete but at this point itís more important to me to have ease of spinning than a homogenous color.

Iím probably doing the whole thing wrong. Iím going to have so much to unlearn when and if I ever have the opportunity to learn the correct way.

Mike
Go to Top of Page

pugsweater
Gabber Extraordinaire

452 Posts

Posted - 09/02/2005 :  09:06:53 AM  Show Profile Send pugsweater a Private Message
hi mike, thanx for chiming in :)

i'll try your method again. charge light, card light. so, when you do that, do you end up with more or less equal amount on both, then combine them or use them as separate rolags?

i'm having difficulty removing the rolags using the 'backward slide' method. usually end up removing them with my hands, hehe

Pugknits Blog
Go to Top of Page

Mike
Seriously Hooked

649 Posts

Posted - 09/02/2005 :  09:55:14 AM  Show Profile  Visit Mike's Homepage Send Mike a Private Message
I hold the card with the fiber face up then draw the empty paddle over it in the method usually described, about 3 times then move the remaining fibers off the face up paddle onto the top of the fibers on what was the face down paddle. The fully loaded card becomes the face up paddle and I repeat the process a few times then roll the rolags off the fully charged paddle from the front of the card to towards the back or handle part of the card, in the direction the teeth point. It rolls right off and up into a rolag, I try to roll them up as tight as I can that way they don't come apart as I spin them onto my spindle.

Mike
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.33 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?