Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Celebrating Texas fiber producers
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Felting Talk
 Needle Felting
 I want to start needle felting
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author  Topic Next Topic  

petrova
Chatty Knitter

USA
271 Posts

Posted - 08/09/2005 :  8:29:42 PM  Show Profile  Visit petrova's Homepage Send petrova a Private Message
I've been a knitting for many years, and felting knitted projects. I've seen some beautiful clothing needle felted. I want to learn how to do this.

What would you suggest? Buying a kit? Maybe on Ebay?

I live in Los Angeles, California the west side, actually Venice Beach and I can't find a store around here.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
ana
http://bananaknits.blogspot.com/

knitlethab
Seriously Hooked

Canada
604 Posts

Posted - 08/09/2005 :  9:30:02 PM  Show Profile  Visit knitlethab's Homepage Send knitlethab a Private Message
I'm not sure that you can needle felt clothing. I know you can knit and felt pieces or accesories or purses. I believe there is a search section here on felting. Try that for some of your answers.

Sharon

www.knittingtime.com
Go to Top of Page

petrova
Chatty Knitter

USA
271 Posts

Posted - 08/09/2005 :  10:15:57 PM  Show Profile  Visit petrova's Homepage Send petrova a Private Message
I started searching around but I can't find the original clothing that was so beautiful but here are a couple of links:
Ok this one is a bit out there but there is clothing http://www.feltfaction.fi/ENG/main.php

This one is more tame, a little too tame for me but
http://www.outbackfibers.com/obcreations/obcreations.htm
http://www.touchtheearthranch.com/vestPage.htm

ana
Go to Top of Page

Shelia
Permanent Resident

USA
2364 Posts

Posted - 08/10/2005 :  04:56:54 AM  Show Profile  Visit Shelia's Homepage Send Shelia a Private Message
I don't think that most of the clothing that you see is needle felted, it is most likely wet felted or nuno felted. Wet felting involves layering rovings and other materials, then applying soapy water and pressure, and felting by hand against textured surfaces. This results in a very smooth felt that can be thin enough to drape and wear. Nuno felting is similar, but the fiber is felted onto silk gauze, which gives strength but not bulk. There are classes in most cities, and at every large fiber related conference that I've been to. I know that there are books about these techniques as well.

Shelia
Go to Top of Page

petrova
Chatty Knitter

USA
271 Posts

Posted - 08/10/2005 :  06:25:00 AM  Show Profile  Visit petrova's Homepage Send petrova a Private Message
Wow! Who knew there were so many different ways to do this. Is needle felting done while the material wet?

How do you think this garment is done?
http://www.lizziehoughton.com/

Thanks Sheila for the info.

ana
Go to Top of Page

Shelia
Permanent Resident

USA
2364 Posts

Posted - 08/10/2005 :  07:14:19 AM  Show Profile  Visit Shelia's Homepage Send Shelia a Private Message
Needle felting is done while the fiber is dry, and it would take a long, long time to needle felt enough fabric for a garment.

The jacket you have indicated above looks wet felted, then sewn together. It is a little more stiff than most nuno felted fabric is.

There are lots of felting teachers out there - aren't you in the LA area? Maybe one of the shops in SoCal can give you information on felting teachers. I've been to Wildfibers in Santa Monica, and while I heard they had phased out their spinning and weaving supplies, they might be able to point you towards a class or teacher.

Shelia
Go to Top of Page

petrova
Chatty Knitter

USA
271 Posts

Posted - 08/10/2005 :  10:01:51 AM  Show Profile  Visit petrova's Homepage Send petrova a Private Message
I did go to Wildfibers and when I asked for some felting wool they immediately asked if I knew how to felt and would I be willing to teach it. [:00]

Yes they have phased that out. A while back I did see some felting wool there that's why I went. I've searched on the web for some sources but nothing closer than Santa Barbara so far. Maybe somebody out there knows.

Thanks,
ana
Go to Top of Page

KrazyKim
Chatty Knitter

USA
240 Posts

Posted - 11/10/2005 :  12:38:31 PM  Show Profile Send KrazyKim a Private Message
Ana,

Did you get to the Contemporary Crafts Market in Santa Monica last weekend? There was a new artist (at least for that show) who was doing some beautiful felted jackets along the line of Lizzie Houghton (and thanks for her link! I've bookmarked it). I wish I'd caught her name, but we got there late and had to breeze through the show.

My favorite needle felting website has the most interesting step by step example of needle felting and it's not the cute, round little animal type felting. They are also a good source of fibers.

Years ago, I took a felting class and did some pieces, but felting seems to have come a long way, and I'm really interested in getting into it again. And needle felting looks like it has some possibilities for embellishment.

I've bookmarked your blog also, and hopefully, I'll get to see some of your wonderful felting in the future?

Kim, Playa del Rey, CA
Go to Top of Page

KrazyKim
Chatty Knitter

USA
240 Posts

Posted - 11/10/2005 :  12:42:55 PM  Show Profile Send KrazyKim a Private Message
Ooops! I can't believe I forgot to mention the website for felting and needle felting fibers!

www.gfwsheep.com

Also, I bought a kit on eBay with the needles and some fiber, and I was less than impressed with the small bag of fiber and the boring colors. I would suggest buying the larger bag of cool or warm colors. I tink I bought them on this website. I'll check around, and if I got that fiber elsewhere, I will repost. (We had a computer meltdown earlier this year and I lost all my bookmarks! Boo Hoo.)

Kim, Playa del Rey, CA
Go to Top of Page

KrazyKim
Chatty Knitter

USA
240 Posts

Posted - 11/10/2005 :  12:54:36 PM  Show Profile Send KrazyKim a Private Message
Here's another great source for felting fiber:

www.mielkesfarm.com

But this is the one with the "warm" and "cool" bags of color I bought:

www.halcyonyarn.com

I should get back on their email list!

Kim, Playa del Rey, CA
Go to Top of Page
   Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page