Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: A strong and discreet knot for knitting
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 What Should I Make with It?
 1200 Yards or More
 2500 yds cobweb lace yarn
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Karen in MN
Chatty Knitter

USA
106 Posts

Posted - 07/24/2005 :  07:13:50 AM  Show Profile Send Karen in MN a Private Message
Black, about 2500 yards based on the estimated yardage per ball, 100% wool, cobweb weight. I haven't found any patterns that specify that weight, and being SO thin, I'm not so sure how far that 2500 yards will go. I'm wondering if it would be okay to use it on any pattern that specifies lace weight yarn, and just use smaller needles.

Thanks,
Karen

Shalee
Permanent Resident

USA
2042 Posts

Posted - 07/24/2005 :  08:37:40 AM  Show Profile  Visit Shalee's Homepage Send Shalee a Private Message
In answer to your question, YES you can use it for anything you want, just be sure and make a decent size swatch first, using different needles to see how the pattern shows up. Cobweb weight is a bit more fragile, so treat it a bit more carefully when doing your ssk's and K2tog's. Remember, also, that you will need to measure the swatch for gauge and adjust the pattern accordingly. Then, most important, USE A LIFE LINE! Insert one just after your first complete row. Well, if you drop a stitch on row 2, or screw up, heaven forbid, you don't have to do your cast on or row 1 over!

It is your yarn, look a it, feel it, swatch it, let it speak to you and tell you what it wants to be!

Sharon in NW PA
I always wanted my own library but I didn't realize it would be all knitting books!
Go to Top of Page

Knit kitty
Permanent Resident

USA
1383 Posts

Posted - 07/26/2005 :  5:37:56 PM  Show Profile Send Knit kitty a Private Message
You can also double-strand it if you want a more substantial gauge. And be sure to try it on needles with a little drag (in other words, not Addi Turbos) if you don't want it to slip off too easily.
Sounds gorgeous! Have fun.

~Rebecca

"Nothing, why?"
Go to Top of Page

reba
New Pal

47 Posts

Posted - 07/27/2005 :  08:44:31 AM  Show Profile Send reba a Private Message
also check out the lace thread and the scarves/shawls thread to see what others are using this type of yarn for. many of the patterns from Heirloom Knitting for Fiddlesticks would work for cob-web yarn. Also look at Blackberry Ridge's website for neat-o patterns.

i'm so jealous!
reba
Go to Top of Page

ErickaJo
Chatty Knitter

USA
102 Posts

Posted - 10/14/2005 :  2:55:33 PM  Show Profile  Send ErickaJo a Yahoo! Message Send ErickaJo a Private Message
I just bought A Gathering of Lace and it has some of the yummiest shawl and lace patterns I've ever seen. Plenty of methods in which to use so much cobweb weight yarn.

ErickaJo
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.33 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?