Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: We welcome a succulent Merino from Patagonia
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 On the Needles
 Back to work after the birth!
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

kdcrowley
Permanent Resident

USA
4773 Posts

Posted - 07/17/2005 :  10:24:30 PM  Show Profile  Visit kdcrowley's Homepage Send kdcrowley a Private Message
Hey everyone, just checking in a bit. I have been offline for a little bit due to computer problems and being home with little Rowan.

I went back to work on the 7th after the birth. Little one is 3.5 months now and growing well. This transition has been a little difficult due to her resolve to only breastfeed, even during Mama's 8-hour workdays....but she is slowly taking to the bottle, but under protest, every single time.

This weekend, she has been a bit clingy and fussy. DH thinks its separation anxiety, cause she only cries when you try to put her in the bouncy seat, which she usuallly loves. He may be right, but she is also draining the girls of every drop of milk, so it might be a growth spurt too.

Anyway, I thought this transition would be more difficult for me that it is, but we are doing okay. Work is good, a little slow in starting out, but it is very familiar aspects of a project so no real stress since I have done it all before, it is very reassuring.

Saturday was dye day at the guild, and I took everyone through a progressions project, but it broke up early since it was 109 degrees. I am thinking of doing some sun dyeing....we certainly have the sun here. Just need a big jar that I can paint black and I would be set!

Not knitting so much right now, what with the computer, tryin to make some clothes for work (The post-pregnancy clothing racks are really empty round here! ), as well as take care of the kids and all the other stuff.

I have been washing fleeces etc, and just dyed up some Romney of mine this weekend, as well as sort a multi-colored fleece into its colors. Next step is to card them up, along with some of the other fleeces around.

Anyway, just wanted to check in.

Planning on going to TKGA Friday morning and then Lambtown next weekend.

Kelley

Everywhere you go, there you are! Imagine that....

mokey
Permanent Resident

15375 Posts

Posted - 07/18/2005 :  06:25:05 AM  Show Profile Send mokey a Private Message
Congrats! I think it'g great you've gone back to work early; if I had to do it over again I'd leave half way during pregnancy and go back after a few months too. If you work for a large employer, ask about taking pumping breaks. The large companies I worked for let nursing mothers pump in the nurse's office and storee the milk there if needed. Another trick is to mix a small amount of formula with the breast milk so that there is a gradual shift instead of a sudden change in taste.

"An injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere." Martin Luther King Jr.
www.femiknits.blog-city.com
Go to Top of Page

flaca8674
Chatty Knitter

USA
106 Posts

Posted - 07/18/2005 :  06:52:47 AM  Show Profile Send flaca8674 a Private Message
My children were the same. They would not give up breastfeeding for the bottle. I had to pump while at work. Luckily I worked for Cosco (the car seat maker) at the time and they had no trouble letting me have extra breaks to pump. This particular factory had a small room at the time set up with a comfty chair soft music and refridgerator. I guess that was because a lot of pregnant women worked there. I hope your employer is just as thoughtful.

Mary
Go to Top of Page

kdcrowley
Permanent Resident

USA
4773 Posts

Posted - 07/18/2005 :  09:18:20 AM  Show Profile  Visit kdcrowley's Homepage Send kdcrowley a Private Message
Yep we are good. California now has a law that protects nursing moms by legislating larger employers to provide both a location other than a bathroom to pump in and unpaid breaktime that runs concurrently with other paid break time.

But that said, my management has always been very supportive of the pumping thing. That is how DS was an EBM child. We went 33 mos, and stopped pumping at 14 mos. He was born 5 years ago, and there were other moms before me in my workplace that set the stage.

DD is only getting BM, she just knows a good thing when she sees it....breast is best after all, and it's more than a meal for her.

Mokey, I did not go back early. In fact for the States, I went back quite late. Most moms go back at 6 weeks, unfortunately! Also in my job I am lucky in setting my own schedule so the breaks are no prob at all!

Kelley

Everywhere you go, there you are! Imagine that....
Go to Top of Page

ShannonM
Gabber Extraordinaire

352 Posts

Posted - 07/18/2005 :  10:51:48 AM  Show Profile Send ShannonM a Private Message
Congratulations Kelley!

I have a 3.5 month old too and I've been back (part time) for a few months now. It's hard, but I have a very flexible job and have been able to run back home when she's hungry (little Lucy doesn't like the bottle either) or bring her to work with me.

Good luck with everything!

Shannon

Go to Top of Page

wildhorsefarmer
Permanent Resident

USA
1022 Posts

Posted - 07/19/2005 :  05:03:53 AM  Show Profile  Visit wildhorsefarmer's Homepage Send wildhorsefarmer a Private Message
Kelley....love the name-Rowan!When I first heard that name with Brooke Shields' baby, I thought of my fav yarn company.Sure beats-Sirdar,Regia,or Opal for baby girl names!
Lisa

New sock design...
http://www.wildhorsefarmdesigns.com
Knitting photos-http://www.picturetrail.com/wildhorsefarmer

Go to Top of Page

mwyn
Permanent Resident

USA
1419 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2005 :  12:24:27 AM  Show Profile Send mwyn a Private Message
Your baby sound so definate and adorable. Please keep us aprised of her training you! Been there done that.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.42 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?

line subscribe to Knitter's Reviwe