Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Always know how much yarn you need
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Shop Talk
 Talk about shops profiled in Knitter's Review
 San Francisco - Artfibers beyond my dreams
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Carie
Chatty Knitter

249 Posts

Posted - 06/27/2005 :  06:46:49 AM  Show Profile  Visit Carie's Homepage Send Carie a Private Message
I was in SF for business and made a trip to http://www.artfibers.com/index.html. All I can say is OMG! They have their "own" yarn - no big commercial brands. The walls are lined with the most amazing colors, and there are swatches for every single yarn type. They all seem coordinated somehow, so that you can make the most beautiful combinations of differnt yarn types. There is lots of help available - you can even knit some swatches while you are there to see what the yarn is like!

Their Web site doesn't come close to the beautiful yarns in the store. The proprietor told me they are revamping the Web site soon, and since I live a continent away, I hope I can better see all their lovely yarn without being there.

Uh, I am in heaven!

Carie

My name is Carie and I'm a yarnaholic.

(***hi carie***)

jbug
Chatty Knitter

234 Posts

Posted - 06/27/2005 :  08:44:12 AM  Show Profile Send jbug a Private Message
Hi Carie,
I just went there last week on a trip to SF. I, too, was wowed by the beautiful yarns. I wanted more, but couldn't carry it on the plane. I ended up choosing a beautiful baby alpaca variegated in greens and amber. I could have spent much longer there, but my DS was waiting in the car!
You can park at union square, but we didn't have much time.

I loved the swatches, because you could see the stitch definition, drape, feel of the knitted fabric - Instant gratification.
jbug
Go to Top of Page

AlexH
Chatty Knitter

286 Posts

Posted - 06/27/2005 :  09:02:08 AM  Show Profile Send AlexH a Private Message
I work a few blocks away from ArtFibers in SF, so I often take a lunchtime walk there to see what's new. Their proprietor is very helpful and friendly, and their yarns are absolutely beautiful -- unique and fun to use. The yarn is a bit pricey, but occasionally you can find some remainders or samples on sale. By the way, if you drive, the parking lot at Sutter and Stockton Streets is relatively inexpensive, and it's near Union Square and ArtFibers.

Sandy
Go to Top of Page

gibsongirl
Seriously Hooked

965 Posts

Posted - 06/27/2005 :  10:15:58 AM  Show Profile Send gibsongirl a Private Message
I totally agree with you, Carie--the store is tough to spot unless you know to look for that pink and black sign, and once you go up that rickety flight of stairs, it's like yarn paradise. I came home from Artfibers with a skein of the Chai silk and some of the handpainted Houdini ribbon yarn, and they're both languishing until I can figure out a project that does proper justice to their beauty.

-gibsongirl
Go to Top of Page

knittin away
Seriously Hooked

880 Posts

Posted - 06/27/2005 :  11:14:29 AM  Show Profile
[quote]Originally posted by AlexH

I work a few blocks away from ArtFibers in SF, so I often take a lunchtime walk there to see what's new. ...

Me too, I used to work nr. Artfibers - they are a wonderful lunchtime oasis. I went there after not going there for a year or more - it was like a kid in a candy store. Artfibers is a really different and wonderful yarn experience.
Go to Top of Page

Carie
Chatty Knitter

249 Posts

Posted - 06/27/2005 :  5:44:04 PM  Show Profile  Visit Carie's Homepage Send Carie a Private Message
Yeah, it is expensive unless you buy a lot; the you get a volume discount.

While I was there, a customer came in who made 4 beautiful hats from their yarns. They took pictures of them while I modeled! So who knows, I might be on their Web site!

Carie

My name is Carie and I'm a yarnaholic.

(***hi carie***)
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.42 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by