Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Great last-minute gifts for knitters
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Spinner Central
 Spinning Articles, Magazines, Books, and Links
 Will this affect Spin-Off?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

purlwise
Chatty Knitter

259 Posts

Posted - 06/14/2005 :  7:15:06 PM  Show Profile  Visit purlwise's Homepage Send purlwise a Private Message
I just saw this in another KR post under knitting magazines. Interweave, the publishers of Spin Off, has been sold.

http://www.m10report.com/index.php?id=407&backPID=407&tt_news=889

I don't think IK will suffer much since knitting is so popular right now but I'm afraid that Spin-Off might not do so well. How can a bunch of money guys understand spinning?

Regards,
Melinda
www.purlwise.com

indigomuse@verizon.net
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
468 Posts

Posted - 06/14/2005 :  9:50:40 PM  Show Profile  Visit indigomuse@verizon.net's Homepage Send indigomuse@verizon.net a Private Message
I started to post the info here in addition to the other place on the forum but wasn't sure how to approach the subject. I just started subscribing to Spin Off and really like it. I hope that things only change for the better. Here's what the new assistant editor had to say on Spin List earlier today...

As a member of the Interweave team, and the new Assistant Editor on Spin-Off I have been watching this thread closely. I would like to share that while the sale of Interweave is a big move it is one that is greeted with enthusiasm by staff here. We are very excited by the opportunities that this may and will bring and are confident that our goals and culture will be maintained. The only planned change in staff thus far is the addition of a new CEO, Clay Hall, who we are excited to
have join us. In her new role as Creative Director Linda Ligon will have even more time for involvement in editorial decisions.

Of course, we always enjoy hearing from our readers and hope that we can continue to provide the most desired and relevant content. Feel free to contact me or anyone else at Interweave with questions or concerns.

Amanda Berka

Assistant Editor, Spin-Off

Interweave Press, LLC

201 E. 4th Street

Loveland, CO 80537-5655

(970) 613-4672

amandab@interweave.com

Musing about knitting and spinning at http://indigomuse.blogspot.com/

Open a Greenzap account here - www.greenzap.com/indigomuse - and get $25 free!
Go to Top of Page

Valk_scot
Permanent Resident

United Kingdom
1281 Posts

Posted - 06/15/2005 :  12:26:55 AM  Show Profile Send Valk_scot a Private Message
Well, that`s quite reassuring if the onboard staff of Spin-Off are pleased about the change. As a newbie spinner I find Spin-Off a most useful and interesting publication. Even the back issues are treasure chests of information.

I think that I will send an email to Spin-Off...not to complain, but to express my interest in the magazine continuing. Can I suggest that other spinners do the same? A groundswell of support for Spin-Off might impress the new owners, and it`s best to show the magazine has a lot of loyal customers NOW, rather than when it`s under any threat.

Val.

[img]http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/26/26_9_21.gif[/img]
Go to Top of Page

RoseByAny
Permanent Resident

USA
12598 Posts

Posted - 06/15/2005 :  03:38:41 AM  Show Profile  Visit RoseByAny's Homepage Send RoseByAny a Private Message
Well, I'm in no way saying they aren't thrilled with the change, but I think politically speaking they have to say so.

In any event, if Linda Ligon and various other "founding" staff members are around, I'm less worried. I like Spin Off and IK a lot, my favorite being Spin Off (though I didn't care for this last issue).

And on the positive side, spinning is definitely on an increase, so hopefully the gain in popularity will give any extra validity to the "money" powers that be.

"Choose your friends by their character and your socks by their color. Choosing your socks by their character makes no sense, and choosing your friends by their color is unthinkable."
http://RoseByAny.BlogSpot.Com
Go to Top of Page

pugsweater
Gabber Extraordinaire

452 Posts

Posted - 06/15/2005 :  09:18:13 AM  Show Profile Send pugsweater a Private Message
"Well, I'm in no way saying they aren't thrilled with the change, but I think politically speaking they have to say so.

In any event, if Linda Ligon and various other "founding" staff members are around, I'm less worried. ."

my sentiments are exactly,....

Pugknits Blog
Go to Top of Page

purlwise
Chatty Knitter

259 Posts

Posted - 06/15/2005 :  12:28:45 PM  Show Profile  Visit purlwise's Homepage Send purlwise a Private Message
Yeah, I don't think current employees would publicly say that they are unhappy with the sell. I wonder what folks that have published books with them think.

I downloaded Aspire Media's Online Brochure. They mostly say the right things but I still can't help wondering what Spin-Off's position will be in the future. It's so easy for companies to say the right thing but not deliver. It's also a bit scary to think that Spin-Off will ultimately be in the hands of equity investors (wall street types). I've been through a similar thing as an employee and It wasn't good for most of the employees or "enthusiasts". Although I'm a bit skeptical, I do sincerly hope this turns out to be a good thing.

I've been working on a letter to Spin-Off to let them know what appeals to me as a spinner. I know it must be hard to compile articles for such a diverse audience but I'm hoping for more substance in some of their articles.

Regards,
Melinda
www.purlwise.com
Go to Top of Page

KathyR
Permanent Resident

New Zealand
2969 Posts

Posted - 06/15/2005 :  2:44:08 PM  Show Profile  Visit KathyR's Homepage Send KathyR a Private Message
I hope not! I have just paid for a year's subscription to both Spin Off and IK! Yay! They get sent out this week.

KathyR

Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
Go to Top of Page

Mike
Seriously Hooked

649 Posts

Posted - 06/16/2005 :  04:13:49 AM  Show Profile  Visit Mike's Homepage Send Mike a Private Message
I certainly hope that Spin Off remains a quality publication. I just order a subscription last week. I’ve seen a few issues but have never found it in any of the magazine racks at the book stores.

The whole “the bottom line is the money” thing kind of irks me. It creates a culture or mind set that turns both product and customer into components of an equation who’s sole purpose is to make money for investors. In turn these investors, depending on desire or demand, bring a kind of arbitrary value to the particular business/producer rather than this value being controlled by the traditional supply and demand principle. It may be splitting hairs but I would rather see the value of a thing being in it’s rarity and desirability than what it may or may not be worth next week.

I’ve been working in the health care industry for over 22 years repairing and maintaining life support equipment and it has changed from “work on it like your mother needed it” to “screw the overhauls we can afford a few law suits, their cheaper”.

Well, I’m not any kind of brain when it comes to finances, I spend less than I make, that’s about the limit of my financial responsibility and I’m off on a tangent here but my experience has been, in a most general way, things diminish when they change hands.

Mike
Go to Top of Page

RiverRock
Chatty Knitter

USA
283 Posts

Posted - 06/18/2005 :  4:27:50 PM  Show Profile Send RiverRock a Private Message
I've been subscribing to Spin Off for about 13 years now and I was a charter subscriber when they came out with IK. Because Spin Off is pretty much the ONLY spinning magazine around I really, really hope they don't end the years of pleasure and education I have gotten from this magazine. I think it would be a huge loss to more than just spinners.

I too am glad to hear that the staff seems pleased. But I guess I will with hold my right to judge what may happen for awhile.

Thank you Amanda for posting you views and those of your fellow staff menbers. Best of luck to all of you.
Go to Top of Page

Fivefibers
Permanent Resident

USA
1131 Posts

Posted - 06/18/2005 :  5:43:37 PM  Show Profile Send Fivefibers a Private Message
Spin-Off IS a good magazine. I subscribed to it for several years, and then just gave up. It seemed to me that things they published were becoming stagnant. Entirely too much of the same old, same old. However, if you are looking to try new fibers, they MAY be able to point you in the right direction. I sincerely don't think they will improve anyone's spinning, though.

If you should be looking for a 'newsletter' type subscription on spinning wheels and spinning implements, you might like to try The Spinning Wheel Sleuth. Their website is www.spwhsl.com. (how come that site didn't underline?)

Fivefibers
2sheep; 3goats; 5bunnies
(so far)
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.62 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by