Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Revisiting the mitered square
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Shop Talk
 Dream LYS
 What Makes for an Ideal Knitting Shop?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

radsmum
New Pal

USA
15 Posts

Posted - 05/31/2005 :  6:16:01 PM  Show Profile Send radsmum a Private Message

What makes for an ideal knitting shop? For me the answer would have to be anywhere that sells beautiful yarns AND I feel welcome to sit and knit!

What would it be for you?

Chris

Doriknits
New Pal

USA
18 Posts

Posted - 05/31/2005 :  7:06:08 PM  Show Profile Send Doriknits a Private Message
Hi Chris!
I love the feeling that I'm welcome, a part of the community, that old Cheers saying--where everyone knows your name. Classes that excite me--and yarns that spark my imagination. I have a LYS nearby that is huge and overwhelming as far as stock goes, but the owner has never warmed up to me. Needless to say, I rarely go there.

Hugs and stitches,
Dori in Fullerton, Ca. (yup, home of the Red Hat Society!sheesh!)

Ignorance should be painful.
Go to Top of Page

collieknit
Warming Up

84 Posts

Posted - 05/31/2005 :  8:19:20 PM  Show Profile Send collieknit a Private Message
I agree strongly. I have two stores that I frequent at least monthly. One of them is about ten minutes away, the other ninety. I always feel greeted when I am at either one, and know the names of the owners and some of their employees. Then there are the yarns. If variety is the spice of life, so does it go for yarns. Having an equal balance of budget, novelty, exotic, basic, and gauge makes everyone happy. Also, in both of these shops, all of the yarns are given respect and knowledge by the owners. They have never tried to push yarn on me, or directed me away from what I wanted. In terms of tools, again something for everyone. You don'y need fancy rosewood, ebony, or even addi turbos. Knitting is for everyone, and when we become ultra snobs over our needles, we lose a little bit of ourselves. Inox, Susan Bates, and Clover are all trusted, reliable, well made, and affordable. Books should be profuse and comprehensive. I have been into many shops full of beautiful yarns, but a paltry and un challenging selection of books. Finally, keep the space open enough for customers to roam and relax.
Go to Top of Page

Two Sticks and a String
Permanent Resident

USA
1453 Posts

Posted - 06/11/2005 :  1:15:33 PM  Show Profile  Visit Two Sticks and a String's Homepage Send Two Sticks and a String a Private Message
There are 2 yarn shops in my area. At one, I never feel welcomed and the staff comes off as snobish. At the other, I always feel like family. I can sit and try out yarns, needles and browse forever. She will allow me to knit a swatch of a yarn to experiment with. Not many shops would allow me to play to my hearts content. She carries products that you can't get at Michaels, etc. And she will teach you anything. Doesn't get any better than that..
Dorene
Go to Top of Page

truly violet
Permanent Resident

6398 Posts

Posted - 06/11/2005 :  6:09:03 PM  Show Profile  Visit truly violet's Homepage Send truly violet a Private Message
my local yarn store makes you feel welcome, special and they actually laugh at my jokes!
hahaha
actually we never had a local yarn store in the 19 years I have lived in this town
so even just having one is a real treat
plus I like the lady that owns it very much
she knew that 'calpurrnia' was from julius caesar, and NOT the addams family......
so what's not to like
she is a nice person, literate ( an english teacher to boot) she knits and beads.........
hahahah
vi
who can go on and on and on and ok so you get it

none of this will matter in 100 years.......except I will finally be at my goal weight...vi
http://notashyviolet.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

lgrabbit@yahoo.com
Chatty Knitter

170 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2005 :  04:58:11 AM  Show Profile  Visit lgrabbit@yahoo.com's Homepage Send lgrabbit@yahoo.com a Private Message
The ideal knitting shop for me is www.heritagespinning.com. Everyone is so nice and the shop is filled with all kinds of goodies for knitters, crocheters, spinners, and weavers. One thing that impressed me was when the owner, Joan, took the time to write out a pattern for free for me on a hat that I admired that she made up. Of course, I bought the yarn, knit it, and it is beautiful! The pattern filled a whole page! That is my ideal shop.

Laurie

"Under the fence, Catch the sheep, Back we come, Off we leap!"--Purl Rhyme
Go to Top of Page

knittinggal
Chatty Knitter

USA
296 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2005 :  06:05:54 AM  Show Profile  Visit knittinggal's Homepage Send knittinggal a Private Message
I've got two LYS that I frequent. One has bunches of yarn to choose from, the charm of antiques throughout the store, classes and I've been there enough, they recognize me when I walk through the door. The LYS closest to me may not have the largest selection, but the owner is very friendly, seems so down to earth and good. She offers the best classes and has her eye on expanding her display space. She's only been open less than a year and is working on a website plus plans for her shop to grow. I'm moving next month and one will be 50 miles away and the other 30 miles away but I will make those drives gladly!

Kay
Go to Top of Page

RoseM
Permanent Resident

Canada
1898 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2005 :  11:16:29 AM  Show Profile Send RoseM a Private Message
Besides good stock and friendly helpful staff, it's got to have good lighting. If not natural light from windows, then good overhead or spot lighting. Also a chair or two is nice.
RoseM
Go to Top of Page

ScubaQueen
Seriously Hooked

USA
883 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2005 :  12:15:49 PM  Show Profile  Visit ScubaQueen's Homepage Send ScubaQueen a Private Message

Wow...it would never occur to me to ask if I could knit a swatch. In my area there are only 3 stores, JoAnn, WalMart and a lovely little store called The Yarn Garden.

I usually hit JoAnn...and they don't really help you much there. I just discovered the Yarn Garden...a tiny store with a WONDERFUL selection of yarn...of course it's more expensive then JoAnn and Wal-Mart but much better yarn. Since the store is so small the staff is right there with you. They were nice and talked and offered help....funny though...with all eyes on me I couldn't help but wonder if it was ok to "touch" the yarn..[:00].

I definitely like a store that sends you coupons (preferably in email)...I can't believe how expensive some yarn is

Wendy

quote:
Originally posted by Meandorene

There are 2 yarn shops in my area. At one, I never feel welcomed and the staff comes off as snobish. At the other, I always feel like family. I can sit and try out yarns, needles and browse forever. She will allow me to knit a swatch of a yarn to experiment with. Not many shops would allow me to play to my hearts content. She carries products that you can't get at Michaels, etc. And she will teach you anything. Doesn't get any better than that..
Dorene

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body; but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: "WOW...WHAT A RIDE!!!"
Go to Top of Page

Elisheva
New Pal

USA
8 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2005 :  4:18:06 PM  Show Profile  Visit Elisheva's Homepage Send Elisheva a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by ScubaQueen

I definitely like a store that sends you coupons (preferably in email)...I can't believe how expensive some yarn is

Wendy

Wendy, you've brought up a problem that I deal with every week when leading a knitting group. Can knitting as an activity really be available to people who have limited resources?

I'm not questioning the value of high-priced yarns, but I am wondering about the culture of the activity called knitting. (I've heard the advice "don't waste your time knitting with cheap yarn" often enough to want to scream.) Is knitting an activity only for those persons in the upper middle class and above?

What do you all think?

Blessings!

Go to Top of Page

TrueStar
Chatty Knitter

USA
199 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2005 :  4:34:50 PM  Show Profile  Visit TrueStar's Homepage Send TrueStar a Private Message
The owner of one of my LYS remembered my name the 2nd or 3rd time I walked in. She greeted me and engaged some small talk by asking me what I was working on now. She then asked if I needed any help and lets me look around when I don't need anything.

She put up with me when I was trying to decide between colors of the cheaper acrylic yarn for...half an hour. I was walking to the front and back of the store constantly. I spent all of $12 that day...which was REALLY hard because she had a storewide sale and I didn't even know about it until I walked in the door. The owner is still always very nice and patient with someone so indecisive as myself. :p

http://commuknits.typepad.com/
Jake: Your rap name would be 'Kid Mohair'
Go to Top of Page

knitz2
Permanent Resident

USA
1800 Posts

Posted - 10/05/2005 :  5:31:14 PM  Show Profile  Visit knitz2's Homepage Send knitz2 a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Elisheva

[quote]Originally posted by ScubaQueen

[font=Tahoma][size=3][purple]
Wendy, you've brought up a problem that I deal with every week when leading a knitting group. Can knitting as an activity really be available to people who have limited resources?

I'm not questioning the value of high-priced yarns, but I am wondering about the culture of the activity called knitting. (I've heard the advice "don't waste your time knitting with cheap yarn" often enough to want to scream.) Is knitting an activity only for those persons in the upper middle class and above?

What do you all think?

Blessings!

I agree about screaming with frustration over the statements about only knitting with expensive yarn. I'm lucky in that my LYSO is NOT a yarn snob. She prefers and carries quality yarns but is not offended if someone brings other yarns into her store for social knitting times (two Saturday afternoons a month & whenever you need a break from life). She will even suggest less expensive acrylic or cotton yarns for some projects. This attitude is part of what made me a regular lunchtime knitter at her store.
Go to Top of Page

Laura Ver
Seriously Hooked

656 Posts

Posted - 10/13/2005 :  3:04:54 PM  Show Profile  Visit Laura Ver's Homepage Send Laura Ver a Private Message
Selection! A good selection would matter to me almost more than a pleasant welcome -- or maybe it's a tie. I am lucky that there are several LYS near me. However,as knitting grows in popularity their selection of yarn seems to shrink. Glitzy,furry,ribbon, etc are everywhere. Plain wool, especially in worsted and finer gauges, is becoming an endangered species. It doesn't help that this is California, where presumably we don't ever need to wear wool or knit with it!

My favorite shops are the ones that carry both fancy *and* work-horse type yarns. However they are a rarity these days. I also like a shop that has enough inventory that I can find enough skeins of the same dyelot to knit a sweater. That is very rare around here. I'd love to keep my LYS in business but it is often a safer bet for me to order from an internet source, unfortunately.

Laura
Go to Top of Page

Ditzy Girl
Permanent Resident

USA
4723 Posts

Posted - 10/13/2005 :  4:41:55 PM  Show Profile Send Ditzy Girl a Private Message
All of you have described my lys. Yarn Gallery in West Seattle. They are friendly and always willing to chat and you can stay as long as you like. The customer are also friendly and the yarn is fab in all price ranges. Then I have another fav. Hilltop at the top of Queen Ann in Seattle. There yarn is mostly top of the line, but the staff is wonderful. We are so lucky here. We have a plethora of lys, but these 2 are my fav.

Zola, Seattle, Wash.

Go to Top of Page

Laura Ver
Seriously Hooked

656 Posts

Posted - 10/15/2005 :  8:04:34 PM  Show Profile  Visit Laura Ver's Homepage Send Laura Ver a Private Message
Sounds like I really must visit Seattle one of these days! Acorn Street Yarn shop (I hope that is the accurate name) has a booth at Stitches West every year and I often buy from them as they carry an outstanding selection of patterns. Lucky Seattle knitters...

Laura
Go to Top of Page

emilyn
Chatty Knitter

Singapore
126 Posts

Posted - 10/17/2005 :  02:15:53 AM  Show Profile  Visit emilyn's Homepage Send emilyn a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by knitz2

quote:
Originally posted by Elisheva

[quote]Originally posted by ScubaQueen

[font=Tahoma][size=3][purple]

What do you all think?

Blessings!

I agree about screaming with frustration over the statements about only knitting with expensive yarn. I'm lucky in that my LYSO is NOT a yarn snob. She prefers and carries quality yarns but is not offended if someone brings other yarns into her store for social knitting times (two Saturday afternoons a month & whenever you need a break from life). She will even suggest less expensive acrylic or cotton yarns for some projects. This attitude is part of what made me a regular lunchtime knitter at her store.

I don't think LYSOs are being yarn snobs. Sometimes the way they look at knitting is, if you are gonna spend that much time and effort on one project, you might as well try to use the best quality yarn possible so as to make the project truly lasting.

For me, it's never been a problem to use acrylic when I make toys or baby items if the moms request for them. It's made for easier maintenance.

Em

http://vintagefusionhandcrafts.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Square Knitter
New Pal

USA
41 Posts

Posted - 10/26/2005 :  07:48:06 AM  Show Profile Send Square Knitter a Private Message
My LYS is nearly ideal. The owner makes you feel welcome, she helps out tremendously in choosing yarns, needles, calculating how much yarn etc. I am a beginner and desparately need this help. The LYSO told me she will help fix any mistake I make, just bring my project into the shop. When she first taught me to knit (I actaully learned as a kid but only made a crooked purple potholder in meltable acrylic)I spent hours sitting in the shop working on my garter stitch scarf, which I wore yesterday. The only thing I would change about my LYS are the hours. She is closed on sunday and I wish she were open on sundays (and closed on Mondays). I can only get to the shop on Saturday and if she is having a workshop I am sh*t out of luck. My wonderful LYS is The Knitting Basket in Denville, NJ and I highly recommend it.

Square Knitter
Go to Top of Page

eclair
Chatty Knitter

New Zealand
320 Posts

Posted - 10/26/2005 :  3:28:44 PM  Show Profile  Visit eclair's Homepage Send eclair a Private Message
My LYS is also a haberdashers and they don't have a huge selection of wool - mostly washable merino and baby stuff (we are in NZ!) but not a great range and the colours are a little dull. But she does have a fenced in toy area for the children which means I can look at the knitting stuff and the quilting supplies while my children are quiet, happy and safe while I shop.

My other LYS has much more interesting yarns, more choice, knows about knitting and has swatches all over the place (and clothes she has knitted from the yarns so she knows about how it knits up) and also has beading and a table for beading and projects. There is embroidery stuff, magazines and enough lovely stuff to keep me happy for hours. Unfortunately, there is nothing for children (which I understand is not her problem, it's mine) and that means I can only over do shop, grab and run type shopping here while my little girls try and escape from the pushchair. If I could browse properly then Oh, the things I would buy!

Eclair
Go to Top of Page

lauriec
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
424 Posts

Posted - 11/20/2005 :  08:05:42 AM  Show Profile  Send lauriec a Yahoo! Message Send lauriec a Private Message
For the ideal knitting shop would be close by (the closest LYS here is 30 min away but we do have AC Moore, Michaels, Hobby Lobby & Hancock Fabrics for more basic items), friendly staff, no snobbery, welcoming atmosphere, selection & value.

I went to our LYS yesterday (Darlene's in Opelika, AL) & I swear, had the baby been asleep I would have sat & knitted & chatted w/ Darlene all afternoon. I picked up 2 prs of Crystal Palace needles & a hank of tahki cotton classic yarn & you would have thought I purchased 400$ worth of product. Darlene makes everyone feel good about their purchase & is just wonderful! I'm so glad I finally found her store!!

Now if only she'd put a 2nd location here in Columbus!!!!
Go to Top of Page

donnawatk
Seriously Hooked

755 Posts

Posted - 11/30/2005 :  08:46:50 AM  Show Profile Send donnawatk a Private Message
I have been to two shops in the Chicago area where the owners were wonderful. One was Keep you in stitches on Oak street and the Other was Stitch by stiches in Highland park. Both women were helpful and talk to me as if I had been coming to their store for years.I have been in stores where I have had to ask do you work here. Thoses stores I didn't buy from and will not go back.

Donna Watkins
Go to Top of Page

m11721
New Pal

47 Posts

Posted - 11/30/2005 :  4:54:34 PM  Show Profile Send m11721 a Private Message
I like a variety of yarns with well-marked prices.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.73 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?

line subscribe to Knitter's Reviwe