Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: An Irish twist on yarn from Black Water Abbey
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Dyeing Discussion
 Synthetic Dyes
 Refridgerating Dye Stock
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Eniyan
Chatty Knitter

114 Posts

Posted - 05/13/2005 :  9:05:48 PM  Show Profile Send Eniyan a Private Message
I just had the nasty rude awakening that dye stock really does only last about six weeks. As it turns out a nasty snot like sludge grows in it. I found this out using golden yellow so it was particularly disgusting. Luckily I've been mixing solutions of only one or two cups at a time, so I tend to use it pretty fast. However I've still got plenty mixed up and stored under the sink.

Has anyone had any experience with putting dye stock in the fridge? How much longer does it last? I've got no kids, so I don't have to worry about that. I do store my dye in diet coke bottles, which my boyfriend is addicted to, but I'm sure if I store it on the back lower shelf we will avoid calling poison control.

Visit my Blog
Eniyan's Adventures with Her Fiberlicious Self
http://eniyan.blogspot.com/

lolajl
New Pal

7 Posts

Posted - 05/26/2005 :  09:11:26 AM  Show Profile  Visit lolajl's Homepage Send lolajl a Private Message
How does one safely dispose of dye stock? I've got a bunch of dye stocks in my garage and I don't want to just pour these down the drain.
Go to Top of Page

Martheme
Sustaining Member

USA
1565 Posts

Posted - 05/26/2005 :  09:45:54 AM  Show Profile  Visit Martheme's Homepage  Send Martheme a Yahoo! Message Send Martheme a Private Message
Hi,

I haven't tried the fridge so I don't know if that will make it last longer, but I do know they generally keep better in glass than in plastic. I use jars about the size of a mayo jar . . . Also, if it starts to settle, often heating the glass jar in a few inches of hot water will get it to dissolve again . . . I do this in the kitchen sink, not on the stove, and be sure to remove the lid before heating.

As for disposal: I was told that in general it is safe to dispose of the small amounts used in household dye projects down the drain if you are on the city sewer system, I don't know if its the same for a septic. Just be sure to flush with lots of water and to clean the sink really well afterward.

Good luck to you both!

Martheme

visit my sites:
http://www.inspirationsyarn.com & http://martheme.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

pattiw
Chatty Knitter

USA
199 Posts

Posted - 05/26/2005 :  1:36:04 PM  Show Profile Send pattiw a Private Message
When I paint and need to keep the paints I've mixed, I store them on a wet palette in the refrigerator, otherwise they get moldy. I would think it works the same way with dyes, since they're similar. And, I do rinse small amounts of paint down the sink.

Patti

I'm not always perfect, but I am always me.
Go to Top of Page

zoeb
Warming Up

95 Posts

Posted - 06/07/2005 :  12:20:29 PM  Show Profile Send zoeb a Private Message
the fridge should work--it's the water that makes the solution grow beasties--I used to store my colorants for soaps in the fridge--last indefinitely there--you could probably freeze them, too.
Go to Top of Page

pugsweater
Gabber Extraordinaire

452 Posts

Posted - 06/25/2005 :  11:18:34 AM  Show Profile Send pugsweater a Private Message
i came accross one site(i dun recall where, it was a while ago) where the dyer used cosmetic preservative in her dye stock...google it?

Pugknits Blog
Go to Top of Page

Lanea
Permanent Resident

USA
5189 Posts

Posted - 06/27/2005 :  05:29:38 AM  Show Profile  Visit Lanea's Homepage Send Lanea a Private Message
My friend Mikele is a tie-dyer, and she refrigerates her dyes. I will ask her what her methods are and how long things last.

http://crazylanea.typepad.com/
Go to Top of Page

Lanea
Permanent Resident

USA
5189 Posts

Posted - 06/27/2005 :  06:59:57 AM  Show Profile  Visit Lanea's Homepage Send Lanea a Private Message
I am no expert, so I just generally do what Mikele suggests. Here is what Mikele says about dye storage:

No, I don’t refrigerate them, but you can, and they should last a while.
There are 2 ways to mix dyes.
Dye + soda ash in a squirt bottle = unstable and needs to go in fridge.
OR
Dyes only in bottle, soak the item in soda ash right before dying. I’d recommend this unless she wants to minimize wetness, soda ash is cheap cheap cheap, and safe to dump down the drain. Liquid only (dyes + urea I think) only stays stable for a while, I ‘ve left them for many months, like 8 and they weren’t quite as bright but were effective.
I usually save the dyes if something is left over, but end up dumping them because I don’t do it often anymore. I pour all the yellows and greens and blues together and see what color I get and go nuts and dyes towels, sheets, faded clothes, etc….
If she wants better instructions than that (though she may know what I am talking about) I can send them.

http://crazylanea.typepad.com/
Go to Top of Page

Renee77
Chatty Knitter

261 Posts

Posted - 06/28/2005 :  7:19:22 PM  Show Profile Send Renee77 a Private Message
Eniyan,

If you are still using the Lanaset dyes, contact the Prochem company to find out how long you can store them once the dyes are mixed up in water. Prochem sells Lanasets as 'Sabreset' dyes, but they are the exact same thing. Also, there should be some info on their website about storage for different kinds of dyes.

I'm not certain from reading your first post here if the dye stock had gone moldy/mildewy, or if you simply had solid dye that had settled out of the solution. If you still have it, try heating it up by putting the bottle (glass would be best) under running hot water, like the way people do to heat up honey that's gotten too thick. If the dye goes back into solution, it should be ok to use.

I agree with the above post, it's better to store in glass than in plastic.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.75 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?

line subscribe to Knitter's Reviwe