Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Always know how much yarn you need
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Dyeing Discussion
 Color Theory
 Colors
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic   

Pen
Warming Up

USA
58 Posts

Posted - 10/30/2002 :  5:23:46 PM  Show Profile Send Pen a Private Message
I used to have a hard time figuring out what colors to use and what went with what!!! But now I feel as tho I am thinking more freely with my color choices. Now I like to mix and match bright and dark and all different colors just to make the sweater look different.
My Favorite thing to do not is not only mix colors but the differnt yarns also.
I am especially having FUN making my Grandaughters sweaters because I get to PLAY around with all different ideas.

elena
New Pal

USA
11 Posts

Posted - 11/27/2002 :  10:15:10 PM  Show Profile Send elena a Private Message
Hi Pen, Haven't seen this topic before. It is a great one. Although I love the multi colored yarns I am begining to tire of them. They seem so based on the tried and true color wheel. I have found I really like working with a rustic or highly textured yarn and a slick shinny one. I like the contrast. I also like working with a number of shades of one color with an accent color. I am making a boxy jacket with shades of gray. I think I am going to use a mid-blue as the accent color. I am making what looks like swatches, washing and blocking them and then sewing them together, trying new stitches as I go. Once I get a number of these done I am going to pin them on a McCalls jacket pattern and fill in the shaping with little strips. Turning out pretty cool so far. I am doing one in Noro Kureyon too.

I would like to find a vertical multi width stripe pattern and just use all the yarns and colors I love so much. I guess I will just have to start making one, which is the way I seem to knit. Of course, I do a lot of ripping that way when things don't work out the way I want...Then I finally sit down and do the math and figure it out.

Knit out,
Helen

elena
Go to Top of Page

Hello Knitty
Permanent Resident

1069 Posts

Posted - 11/28/2002 :  3:14:48 PM  Show Profile Send Hello Knitty a Private Message
Have you ever looked at the colour books used by graphic designers? They show all sorts of colour combos. I have a few a home I like to flip through for inspiration. Also Japanese origami paper is an excellents source for colour mixing. A small package costs less than $5. I'm big on ripping pages out of magazines for colours. Doesn't matter what the picture is, if I like the colour I rip out the page and put it in a box. When I need inspiration, I look through my collection. I've often wandered into the shops with a page to colour match!

Go to Top of Page

lacylaine
Seriously Hooked

USA
993 Posts

Posted - 11/28/2002 :  4:00:07 PM  Show Profile Send lacylaine a Private Message
A few years ago, kimono jackets were quite popular. There were two different versions in two different magazines!

The whole concept revolved around knitting strips of different colors and patterns and connecting them together. There were checks, stripes, cables, moss stitch, everything you could think of.

I'm almost positive that Interweave Knits was one of the magazines. The other one might have been Cast On.

Hope this helps.

Melanie

P.S. When I make myself my first sweater, I want to use different "stripes" of pattern stitches. I'm thinking of shades of green for each pattern.

"Whatever your hand finds to do, do it with all your might." Ecclesiastes 9:10
Go to Top of Page

mbmoody
Gabber Extraordinaire

583 Posts

Posted - 11/29/2002 :  4:47:03 PM  Show Profile Send mbmoody a Private Message
You can also try making your blocks of different color and textures in intarsia. Just take a couple of yards at a time of whatever suits your fancy (although it helps if the gauge is the same) and put it in. You can use more colors in more combinations than with stripes, and not worry about whether it will all fit into a sweater pattern later.
Mary
Go to Top of Page

betsy_who_plays_with_string
Warming Up

USA
58 Posts

Posted - 11/30/2002 :  02:43:39 AM  Show Profile Send betsy_who_plays_with_string a Private Message
Hi!

As an ex-quilter, I have "Ginny Byer" rules stuck in my head. If you want to use say, red and yellow in a quilt, and want a harmonious (vs. hi-contrast) look, go yellow, lt yellow, peach, pink, red. It's a natural progression of the color wheel. I like that theory because it makes sense. To go darker, you could go yellow, gold, orange, rust, dk brown, burgundy, red. Also very easy to picture. Fill in the colors that you are missing to make a natural looking color run.

Also, having read the Color Me Beautiful books as a young woman, I subscribe to the seasonal color theories. If you bought the yarn, and have leftovers from something you made that looks fabulous on you, bo ahead and smash those leftovers together. (with a few fillers to get a good balance.) You instinctively chose things that you liked to begin with.

If you are working with colors that will make you look like you have a hangover, be generous and give the gift to someone else. My mother-in-law will be the recipient of a BEAUTIFUL avacado, mint,gold, lilac, and pink mitered sweater out of Cash Iroha (IWK from this spring, slightly modified) accented with ivory, corn yellow and coral...things that I REALLY can't wear, but just went FABULOUSLY together. She's gonna adore it, red-head that she is! As the Asian, it would look HORRID on me, but it made a great combo for her!!! I FINALLY finished it today!!

Go to Top of Page

oscarcatt
Chatty Knitter

USA
147 Posts

Posted - 12/19/2002 :  12:12:23 AM  Show Profile  Visit oscarcatt's Homepage Send oscarcatt a Private Message
Elena,

I've been knitting with a multi-colored yarn that seems different from the others I've knitted with. I'm making socks with Koigu merino and the colors don't seem to follow an order.

- Jennifer
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic   
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.52 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?