Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Revisiting the mitered square
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Dyeing Discussion
 Using Kool-Aid
 Out, Out, Damn Spot
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

SerMom
Permanent Resident

Canada
6412 Posts

Posted - 12/28/2004 :  8:20:26 PM  Show Profile Send SerMom a Private Message
Does anyone know if there's a way to remove food colouring from fibre? Like if you use too much, or you don't like the colour, or whatever. I'm thinking particularly of the dark colours, whcih would be difficult to over-dye.

Barbara
Remember, we're self-selecting!

My photos: I've gone back to yahoo!
My blog:

Boogie
Permanent Resident

USA
3073 Posts

Posted - 12/29/2004 :  04:56:32 AM  Show Profile  Visit Boogie's Homepage Send Boogie a Private Message
I've never been successful removing the stuff. I try to wear the same clothes each time when Im using the stuff. It's that darn acid in there. Maybe someone else has a good idea.

amy
http://theboogerblog.blogspot.com
http://www.spunkyhats.com
Go to Top of Page

truly violet
Permanent Resident

6398 Posts

Posted - 12/29/2004 :  08:21:27 AM  Show Profile  Visit truly violet's Homepage Send truly violet a Private Message
I think with fiber the only way would be to card in some other color like a natural cream or something
I don't remember if there is a dye remover that Dharma has
not for acid based dyes anyway
I know if you try bleach a protein fiber will just disinegrate
(don't try this at home, but I over did it on silk one time and tried the bleach......... well it wasn't pretty)
vi

none of this will matter in 100 years.......except I will finally be at my goal weight...vi
Go to Top of Page

RoseByAny
Permanent Resident

USA
12598 Posts

Posted - 12/29/2004 :  09:05:00 AM  Show Profile  Visit RoseByAny's Homepage Send RoseByAny a Private Message
If it's kool-aid you're using specifically, see if there's a help line on the packaging. Call and ask them what stain removers to use (they don't need to know the "stain" is on yarn....)

"Choose your friends by their character and your socks by their color. Choosing your socks by their character makes no sense, and choosing your friends by their color is unthinkable."
http://RoseByAny.BlogSpot.Com
Go to Top of Page

Spinnerella
Permanent Resident

1040 Posts

Posted - 12/29/2004 :  09:55:34 AM  Show Profile  Visit Spinnerella's Homepage Send Spinnerella a Private Message
The color in Kool Aid is exactly the same chemical dye that is in commercial acid dyes only in smaller concentrations. Oh, doesn't THAT just make you want to rush and make a pitcher to serve with dinner?! But, if you have ever tried to remove K-A from anything, you know how hard it is. Rit or someone makes a color remover, but I think it's more for removing dye that has migrated in the washer (like red to white underwear...) and not to remove color from something you are dying. I hate to be discouraging, but I don't think it's going to happen....you may be stuck with the dark color.

Marcia
www.spinnerellasattic.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

fmarrs
Guardian angel

USA
9776 Posts

Posted - 12/29/2004 :  10:27:07 AM  Show Profile Send fmarrs a Private Message
Rit does make a dye remover to be used before overdying. It makes your fabric a sort of dirty white and then you redye over it. I've only used it with cotton.

fran, who used the same cotton bedspread for 12 years in 5 different colors.
Go to Top of Page

SerMom
Permanent Resident

Canada
6412 Posts

Posted - 12/29/2004 :  1:10:40 PM  Show Profile Send SerMom a Private Message
I've got the Rit stuff, but I've been afraid to try it. I guess I should just bite the bullet and do a small amount of yarn to see what happens. But not today. Today, I've barely managed to stick my head out from under the covers.

Barbara

My blog:
Go to Top of Page

Maia
New Pal

United Kingdom
47 Posts

Posted - 04/23/2005 :  10:12:07 AM  Show Profile Send Maia a Private Message
I love that the person who titled this thread quotes Shakespeare in a knitting forum! Thread-titler, you rock.
Go to Top of Page

SerMom
Permanent Resident

Canada
6412 Posts

Posted - 04/23/2005 :  2:42:53 PM  Show Profile Send SerMom a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Maia

I love that the person who titled this thread quotes Shakespeare in a knitting forum! Thread-titler, you rock.

Gee, Philippa, I'm gonna have to do the 'gawrsh' routine again, and I've just put the sock back on. (see this thread).

Barbara

My blog:
Go to Top of Page

Deni
Chatty Knitter

198 Posts

Posted - 04/26/2005 :  06:12:04 AM  Show Profile Send Deni a Private Message
It might be too difficult to work with on a whole skein (or multiple skeins), but there's something called Discharge Paste at Dharma Trading. http://www.dharmatrading.com/html/eng/1574-AA.shtml

It says it works on natural fibers, including silk, and it will remove acid dyes.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.44 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?

line subscribe to Knitter's Reviwe