Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: A strong and discreet knot for knitting
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Tool Talk
 Software
 Drawing/Photo to Pattern Softwear?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

rorosity@aol.com
Seriously Hooked

696 Posts

Posted - 10/16/2004 :  09:49:35 AM  Show Profile Send rorosity@aol.com a Private Message
I am not an intarsia knitter, so I am not familiar with transforming photos/drawings to a pattern. I know that there must be some sort of softwear that can do this or...maybe somebody does this as a service.

My husband would like me to make him a sweater with the vintage UCLA Bruin Bear on the front. He says he has a photo/drawing. I thought maybe there was some way I could get a computer program to generate a pattern. I definitely do not feel confident enough to try this on my own.

Does anyone know of a softwear program or service?

Jeannine

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/rorosity/my_photos

Destashing - For Sale:
http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/rorosity/album?.dir=/cb32

Lilknits
New Pal

15 Posts

Posted - 10/28/2004 :  5:34:49 PM  Show Profile Send Lilknits a Private Message
Hi Jeanine,

I don't know of a knitting software for this, but there are cross stitching programs which convert photos into graphs. You could definitely use this for intarsia work. I have two, one called Patternmaker, and one called PCStitch. I can't remember the cost, around $20 each. They can convert into however many colors you want, and you choose the size/number of squares. Hope this helped,

Lily

Go to Top of Page

rorosity@aol.com
Seriously Hooked

696 Posts

Posted - 11/07/2004 :  08:18:16 AM  Show Profile Send rorosity@aol.com a Private Message
Thanks, Lily. I will check those out when I am ready to tackle that project.

Jeannine

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/rorosity/my_photos

Destashing - For Sale:
http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/rorosity/album?.dir=/cb32
Go to Top of Page

knit_chick
Permanent Resident

1484 Posts

Posted - 11/07/2004 :  08:42:38 AM  Show Profile Send knit_chick a Private Message
If you have Photoshop, you might want to check out Preparing Graphs From Photos With Adobe Photoshop from Knitting Universe.

My knitting projects and random blathering
Go to Top of Page

terivan
Chatty Knitter

Australia
240 Posts

Posted - 11/15/2004 :  10:17:00 PM  Show Profile Send terivan a Private Message
I suggest scanning the drawing/photo, then using Paint (or similar) to change any colour shadings to large blocks of colour, then import to Stitch & Motif Maker. You need to decide your gauge, and how large you want the motif to be before importing, and specifying the number of rows and stitches for the motif. There will still be more tedious work in making sure every stitch is only one colour, and there is a limit to the number of rows and stitches for a motif. It is a lot of messing around, but does work.

Terry
Go to Top of Page

fred
New Pal

2 Posts

Posted - 08/01/2005 :  12:27:48 AM  Show Profile Send fred a Private Message
Hi,Jeannine
I think that I can help you with your problem.I have a tiny company ,My main work is drawing intarsia graphs and producing sweaters according to your order.If you are interested please send me the photo that you want to convert,I will be very glad to draw the graph for you.
additionally,If you have the intereste ,I can knit it for you with the pure cashmere.As you know we make sweater from one piece.
Fred
Go to Top of Page

DOROTHY
New Pal

USA
37 Posts

Posted - 10/15/2005 :  08:51:28 AM  Show Profile Send DOROTHY a Private Message
I bought a software package that I thought was was knitting as it had 3 cd's about knitting and one to make photographs, pictures, etc. into graphs...the problem is that that that software is designed for cross stitch, not knitting.

I have no idea why it was "bundled" that way as you will end up with some pretty funny looking knitting as knitting stitches aren't square.

It would be nice if someone tweeked this program a little and make the stitches knitting size. The program itself is easy to use and very nice, just not designed for knitting stitches.

If anyone knows of one that is I would love to know.

Thanks.
Go to Top of Page

terivan
Chatty Knitter

Australia
240 Posts

Posted - 10/16/2005 :  8:39:33 PM  Show Profile Send terivan a Private Message
I have done this using a combination of MS Paint and Stitch & Motif Maker. I started with a photograph (in this case, penguins) and used Paint to styalise (sp. ?) it into blocks of colour. Then I calculated the proportions (ie. so many stitches and rows) of the resulting picture over so many stitches and rows. The picture was imported into Stitch & Motif Maker using the appropriate number of stitches and rows, and the stitches 'painted' so that each one had just one colour.

I now have an afghan of 24 squares, all of different penguins.

It was tedious, but fun.

Terry
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.45 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.