Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Revisiting the mitered square
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Felting Talk
 Needle Felting
 I did it!
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

ErinAmy
Chatty Knitter

USA
147 Posts

Posted - 07/14/2004 :  09:12:11 AM  Show Profile Send ErinAmy a Private Message
I finally found a yarn store that had a set of felting needles in stock, I guess it is becoming very popular! So I got a felted tote that I made that isn't one of my favorites so I could practice. It was so fun and I made cute little flowers, designs and hearts. Is there a website that has free patterns or designs ideas?

Thanks!
Erin

Heather
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
456 Posts

Posted - 07/17/2004 :  10:42:22 AM  Show Profile Send Heather a Private Message
I don't know of a website, but try googling needle felting or something. I am fascinated by this craft, but haven't tried it yet. Sounds so fun! My mom has a book of darling little needle felted people and gnomes and so forth--seems to have great Christmas decor potential.

--Heather

He Rest O Pand Spen Das Oci Alho Ur In Harm Les Smirt Hand funl Et fri Ends Hip Re Ign Beju Stand Kin Dan Devils Peak of No Ne!
Go to Top of Page

storiesr
Sustaining Member

694 Posts

Posted - 07/17/2004 :  11:19:25 AM  Show Profile Send storiesr a Private Message
I took a mini class on dry felting. It you do not feel adventurous or creative try using cookie cutters for templates.
I also did some buttons just by making felt balls and they turned out rather nice!

Laura

We may not be able to control the wind, but we can direct our sails!
Go to Top of Page

Allyn
Chatty Knitter

USA
290 Posts

Posted - 08/24/2004 :  08:31:00 AM  Show Profile Send Allyn a Private Message
I've also made lots of cat toys! Take the basic plastic ball with a bell in it (you can add catnip if you want to) and wrap the ball in wool.Then needle felt it in place. Cats love the combination of sheep and jingling ball.
I just finished a pair of trolls in needle felting. I love doing the big sculptured pieces. I'd add pictures, but they're embarrassed at being quite so naked (and anatomically correct) so I'll wait until I dress them. The hair was the most fun. I used Icelandic Thell on him. It's very long coarse and grey. She has auburn Cotswold curls. Fun, fun, fun.

Allyn

Ik hald fan dei.
Go to Top of Page

Wovenflame
Seriously Hooked

Canada
812 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2004 :  09:40:17 AM  Show Profile  Visit Wovenflame's Homepage Send Wovenflame a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Heather

My mom has a book of darling little needle felted people and gnomes and so forth--seems to have great Christmas decor potential.

Heather, do you know what the name of the book is? I think gnomes would be great fun. The kit I bought to make bears even has some flesh color I could use.

-Marlene-
Come visit me at:http://wovenflame.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

mhyarn
New Pal

USA
15 Posts

Posted - 09/12/2004 :  4:55:57 PM  Show Profile  Visit mhyarn's Homepage Send mhyarn a Private Message
Excuse the commercial but it sounds like a book on my website. Title is "Needle Felting Techniques", there are 3 authors with different styles and techniques. Great book. You can see it here:
http://www.marrhaven.com/fltndlbk.html

Barb from Marr Haven Wool Farm
Go to Top of Page

Soxy
Gabber Extraordinaire

New Zealand
389 Posts

Posted - 09/16/2004 :  7:08:02 PM  Show Profile Send Soxy a Private Message
Refer to my post under "does anyone do neeldefelting?"

Sock Addict
Go to Top of Page

Hermit Di
New Pal

USA
10 Posts

Posted - 11/09/2004 :  07:12:54 AM  Show Profile Send Hermit Di a Private Message
I was amazed at the little needle-felted "sculptures" for sale on Ebay. Check them out -- you won't believe it!
Go to Top of Page

Diva Ree
Gabber Extraordinaire

537 Posts

Posted - 11/09/2004 :  07:52:53 AM  Show Profile Send Diva Ree a Private Message
I love needle felting, but ruined a purse trying to do a large dragonfly. I spent too much time in one big area, and from trying to correct what looked like a large ugly bug...I weakened the felt to the point of no repair.
Go to Top of Page

Allyn
Chatty Knitter

USA
290 Posts

Posted - 11/09/2004 :  10:43:12 AM  Show Profile Send Allyn a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Diva Ree

I love needle felting, but ruined a purse trying to do a large dragonfly. I spent too much time in one big area, and from trying to correct what looked like a large ugly bug...I weakened the felt to the point of no repair.

It might be too late for that particular item, but the nice thing about needlefelting is that it can be done separately from your main project and then attached once you are happy with it. Is it possible to overlay your weak spot with more wool and then to start again? It's a shame that you can't make your mistake into a "design opportunity"! Besides...have you ever taken a close look at a dragonfly? Large ugly bug! Well, at least, fearsome predator bug!

Allyn

Ik hald fan dei.
Go to Top of Page

Diva Ree
Gabber Extraordinaire

537 Posts

Posted - 11/09/2004 :  12:06:12 PM  Show Profile Send Diva Ree a Private Message
After I messed it up, I didn't have the heart to throw it away, and I couldn't make myself look at it either. It's in hiding, and I won't have to be reminded of it unless I clean the junk room (which isn't happening, ever).
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.45 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?

line subscribe to Knitter's Reviwe