Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Photos and wisdom from the Knitter's Review Retreat
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Poll Feedback
 Explain your answers!
 the unfinished gift
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

OxfordGail
New Pal

USA
9 Posts

Posted - 07/08/2004 :  09:31:20 AM  Show Profile Send OxfordGail a Private Message
I've almost got a tradition of the unfinished Christmas gift. Someone in my family will get a handmade item still on the needles. It's often completed and back to the intended recipient before the new year, but there's often just not enough time to finish before Christmas morning. Socks, sweaters, vests, etc. have all been delivered nearly finished - and you can tell who really appreciates a gift of handknitting. They are the ones who hope to see the unfinished gift in their box.

There should have been an option for this in the Poll!

fmarrs
Guardian angel

USA
9776 Posts

Posted - 07/08/2004 :  10:42:30 AM  Show Profile Send fmarrs a Private Message
I have done the same thing, but I always intended to finish the gift, just ran out of time and I complete them after giving them. I have even given a gift box containing yarn, a pattern, and a gift certificate promising the knitting. Some like this the best because they can give imput into "their" sweater or project. The only time I have given away projects I have abandoned is to charitable institutions. I used to reroll the yarn until someone suggested I just put it in because someone might prefer to finish the project. That's my method to control my stash, when it gets too large I give some to schools, nursing homes, churches for their bazaars, etc.

fran
Go to Top of Page

pegasus1074
New Pal

USA
3 Posts

Posted - 07/08/2004 :  5:00:14 PM  Show Profile Send pegasus1074 a Private Message
I've never given a gift still on the needles, but I have at least three incidents of folks giving me projects still on the needles because they gave up on the project or on learning to knit. (And no these were not children giving me this stuff)
Go to Top of Page

mokey
Permanent Resident

15375 Posts

Posted - 07/08/2004 :  7:46:51 PM  Show Profile Send mokey a Private Message
I've never actually given something on the needles. If I haven't finished it I either include a picture in the card, or email it.

"There is no beauty in the finest cloth if it makes hunger and unhappiness." Gandhi
Go to Top of Page

GFTC
Permanent Resident

USA
6331 Posts

Posted - 07/09/2004 :  07:29:24 AM  Show Profile  Visit GFTC's Homepage Send GFTC a Private Message
I gave an AbFab throw finished but without the fringe. I took it back home with me, put on the fringe, and gave it back 2 days later. Any other gift has been totally finished but I only knit for family anyway.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.38 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?

line subscribe to Knitter's Reviwe