Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Always know how much yarn you need
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Shop Talk
 Talk about shops profiled in Knitter's Review
 general customer service question
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

PurlyGirlie
Chatty Knitter

USA
214 Posts

Posted - 02/27/2003 :  11:22:28 AM  Show Profile Send PurlyGirlie a Private Message
Hello, all! I have a question about what you think are reasonable shipping policies. I ordered from Yarnware - a great company, quick service for my past two orders - a bit over two weeks ago, maybe $40 worth of stuff. I was given notice when it shipped, but I still haven't gotten the order. I contacted the shop, and they asked me to verify the shipping address, which I did. After not hearing anything else, I e-mailed again, but I haven't received any further responses.

What do you all think is a fair way to deal with this, if we assume the package is lost. It's technically neither party's fault. But I don't want to have to pay 100% of this ghost order. Should they reimburse half? Should they reship something? Do I have no right to query because companies cannot claim responsibility for items lost in the mail?

I'm not mad at the company at all - I just want to know what you think is fair before I bother them again. ;-)

Thanks!
Sarah

linda-gail
Permanent Resident

USA
1052 Posts

Posted - 02/27/2003 :  12:03:10 PM  Show Profile  Visit linda-gail's Homepage Send linda-gail a Private Message
I think that I'd ask them to put a trace on the package, and ask them when they will update you on the staus. Meanwhile, did you charge the order? If so, you can contact the credit card company, and tell them you dispute the claim. They have a form you can fill out, and they will help you settle with the vendor. I do think that you should have heard from them by now. Linda

Go to Top of Page

linda-gail
Permanent Resident

USA
1052 Posts

Posted - 02/27/2003 :  12:03:10 PM  Show Profile  Visit linda-gail's Homepage Send linda-gail a Private Message
I think that I'd ask them to put a trace on the package, and ask them when they will update you on the staus. Meanwhile, did you charge the order? If so, you can contact the credit card company, and tell them you dispute the claim. They have a form you can fill out, and they will help you settle with the vendor. I do think that you should have heard from them by now. Linda

Go to Top of Page

srenee76
Chatty Knitter

113 Posts

Posted - 02/27/2003 :  12:13:15 PM  Show Profile  Visit srenee76's Homepage Send srenee76 a Private Message
Sarah--

Something else to keep in mind is how they shipped the order. I know that my mail has been TERRIBLY slow and very, very behind due to weather issues (I live in DC). In fact, I had to call a credit card because I didn't get my statement, and they told me that they're telling their customers to allow a good 7-10 days for mail to get anywhere right now.

Otherwise, I think Linda's advice is great.

Shannon
Go to Top of Page

srenee76
Chatty Knitter

113 Posts

Posted - 02/27/2003 :  12:13:15 PM  Show Profile  Visit srenee76's Homepage Send srenee76 a Private Message
Sarah--

Something else to keep in mind is how they shipped the order. I know that my mail has been TERRIBLY slow and very, very behind due to weather issues (I live in DC). In fact, I had to call a credit card because I didn't get my statement, and they told me that they're telling their customers to allow a good 7-10 days for mail to get anywhere right now.

Otherwise, I think Linda's advice is great.

Shannon
Go to Top of Page

Jane
SustaYning Member

USA
4390 Posts

Posted - 02/27/2003 :  1:23:49 PM  Show Profile  Visit Jane's Homepage Send Jane a Private Message
It's probably due to the weather, but in case they shipped your order by UPS, ask them to track it for you (or ask them to give you the tracking number so you can do it yourself). At least you will feel like you are doing something productive. At my store (books) we frequently track stuff for our customers. It only takes about a minute of my time, so I think you are within bounds asking the shop to do this for you. And if something went wrong and your package is lost, I think they should replace the whole thing. That's what I do, as I'd rather be out the cost of a book than lose a good customer.

Goodluck!

Jane
Go to Top of Page

Jane
SustaYning Member

USA
4390 Posts

Posted - 02/27/2003 :  1:23:49 PM  Show Profile  Visit Jane's Homepage Send Jane a Private Message
It's probably due to the weather, but in case they shipped your order by UPS, ask them to track it for you (or ask them to give you the tracking number so you can do it yourself). At least you will feel like you are doing something productive. At my store (books) we frequently track stuff for our customers. It only takes about a minute of my time, so I think you are within bounds asking the shop to do this for you. And if something went wrong and your package is lost, I think they should replace the whole thing. That's what I do, as I'd rather be out the cost of a book than lose a good customer.

Goodluck!

Jane
Go to Top of Page

lavarenne
New Pal

4 Posts

Posted - 03/19/2003 :  1:16:51 PM  Show Profile Send lavarenne a Private Message
I have successfully ordered from Yarnware several times. They were always responsive and received my order in 10 days to 2 weeks. However, I would also say the mails are very slow right now.

You can have Yarnware trace their package even if it was mailed with the U.S. postal service. They should be willing to do this for you. Also, it is my opinion that Yarnware is responsible for the delivery of your order and takes responsibility for the cost until you receive it. Keep us informed of your progress. I will be reluctant to order from them in the future if they are not responding to your inquiries and working with you to order completion.

Lavarenne

Go to Top of Page

lavarenne
New Pal

4 Posts

Posted - 03/19/2003 :  1:16:51 PM  Show Profile Send lavarenne a Private Message
I have successfully ordered from Yarnware several times. They were always responsive and received my order in 10 days to 2 weeks. However, I would also say the mails are very slow right now.

You can have Yarnware trace their package even if it was mailed with the U.S. postal service. They should be willing to do this for you. Also, it is my opinion that Yarnware is responsible for the delivery of your order and takes responsibility for the cost until you receive it. Keep us informed of your progress. I will be reluctant to order from them in the future if they are not responding to your inquiries and working with you to order completion.

Lavarenne

Go to Top of Page

lavarenne
New Pal

4 Posts

Lavarenne

Go to Top of Page

beth95
Chatty Knitter

149 Posts

Posted - 03/20/2003 :  12:06:03 PM  Show Profile  Visit beth95's Homepage Send beth95 a Private Message
I really feel for you. This has happened to me a few times: once it was a package from the Mannings, once it was Ewe Knit Kits. I don't think that in either case the company was to blame. My apartment building doesn't have a lobby, so packages just get dumped on our doorstep, inches from the sidewalk. And at least two of them have simply walked away. (Though I can't imagine anyone else in my slightly dodgy urban neighborhood knitting, but perhaps they found some other use for all that expensive Mountain Colors yarn. Sigh.)

Tracing the packages, by the way, is a total joke. At least, that's how it is over here. I hope you have better luck than I did! :-(
Go to Top of Page

beth95
Chatty Knitter

149 Posts

Posted - 03/20/2003 :  12:06:03 PM  Show Profile  Visit beth95's Homepage Send beth95 a Private Message
I really feel for you. This has happened to me a few times: once it was a package from the Mannings, once it was Ewe Knit Kits. I don't think that in either case the company was to blame. My apartment building doesn't have a lobby, so packages just get dumped on our doorstep, inches from the sidewalk. And at least two of them have simply walked away. (Though I can't imagine anyone else in my slightly dodgy urban neighborhood knitting, but perhaps they found some other use for all that expensive Mountain Colors yarn. Sigh.)

Tracing the packages, by the way, is a total joke. At least, that's how it is over here. I hope you have better luck than I did! :-(
Go to Top of Page

beth95
Chatty Knitter

149 Posts

Go to Top of Page

Luann
Permanent Resident

USA
2671 Posts

Posted - 03/20/2003 :  2:03:28 PM  Show Profile  Visit Luann's Homepage Send Luann a Private Message
Hi PurlGirl - I think you should call them on the phone and talk to a real person (not that the email didn't come from a person.) I order from them all the time and have only once had a problem, when the wrong item was shipped, and they fixed that right away.

If you never receive the goods, you shouldn't have to pay for them.

Luann

Go to Top of Page

Luann
Permanent Resident

USA
2671 Posts

Posted - 03/20/2003 :  2:03:28 PM  Show Profile  Visit Luann's Homepage Send Luann a Private Message
Hi PurlGirl - I think you should call them on the phone and talk to a real person (not that the email didn't come from a person.) I order from them all the time and have only once had a problem, when the wrong item was shipped, and they fixed that right away.

Luann

Go to Top of Page

Luann
Permanent Resident

USA
2671 Posts

Luann

Go to Top of Page

phlame
Permanent Resident

USA
1561 Posts

Posted - 03/20/2003 :  4:08:15 PM  Show Profile Send phlame a Private Message
I would say the responsibility is theirs until you receive the package or they deem it lost. You should not have to pay for it. That is what insurance is for, and tracing.

Shirley

Too much is not enough!
Go to Top of Page

phlame
Permanent Resident

USA
1561 Posts

I would say the responsibility is theirs until you receive the package or they deem it lost. You should not have to pay for it. That is what insurance is for, and tracing.

Shirley

Too much is not enough!
Go to Top of Page

phlame
Permanent Resident

USA
1561 Posts

Shirley

Too much is not enough!
Go to Top of Page

GFTC
Permanent Resident

USA
6331 Posts

Posted - 06/19/2003 :  10:23:56 PM  Show Profile  Visit GFTC's Homepage Send GFTC a Private Message
A store should be happy to give you the UPS or Fedex tracking number. You can then call or go on the internet to track the package.In this case the internet is better. Both of those companies will allow you to track on their websites. That will tell you when it was actually shipped, where in the shipping process it currently is, and when it is scheduled for delivery. It will also tell you if the package was delivered and who signed for it or if it was just left on the porch. Second choice is for the store to track it for you. You are only insured for a certain amount - if you have an expensive package you should request extra insurance when you order. It is not costly.
Go to Top of Page

GFTC
Permanent Resident

USA
6331 Posts

Posted - 06/19/2003 :  10:23:56 PM  Show Profile  Visit GFTC's Homepage Send GFTC a Private Message
A store should be happy to give you the UPS or Fedex tracking number. You can then call or go on the internet to track the package.In this case the internet is better. Both of those companies will allow you to track on their websites. That will tell you when it was actually shipped, where in the shipping process it currently is, and when it is scheduled for delivery. It will also tell you if the package was delivered and who signed for it or if it was just left on the porch. Second choice is for the store to track it for you. You are only insured for a certain amount - if you have an expensive package you should request extra insurance when you order. It is not costly.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.8 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?