Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Revisiting the mitered square
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Dyeing Discussion
 Color Theory
 Are you a chameleon?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Licensed2Cook
Permanent Resident

USA
3554 Posts

Posted - 07/19/2003 :  05:31:10 AM  Show Profile  Send Licensed2Cook a Yahoo! Message Send Licensed2Cook a Private Message
I so grateful to the yarn manufacturers for making such beautiful colorful yarn, variegates, self-striping, heathers etc. that I do not feel the need yet to change colors in my knitting, in fact I like to avoid it whenever possible.

Using a child's sweater pattern for "The Snowman" design and plan to use it to design a pillow with the him on it but I think I would prefer to use a duplicate stitch to avoid changing yarn colors while I knit. There is no escaping color changing for me this time. It's either "The Snowman" or "It'S'NO-man"

Maybe it's my distain for weaving in ends or just the disruption of the rhythm but I was curious what all of you think about changing colors when knitting. Do you love it, hate it or avoid the issue like I do?

Dee

vicky by the bay
Permanent Resident

USA
4768 Posts

Posted - 07/19/2003 :  07:32:26 AM  Show Profile Send vicky by the bay a Private Message
Good Morning Dee...How are ya???? I don't really think about it....I am neutral I guess!!!!

Vicky(new knitter-HELP!!)
Go to Top of Page

vicky by the bay
Permanent Resident

USA
4768 Posts

Posted - 07/19/2003 :  07:32:26 AM  Show Profile Send vicky by the bay a Private Message
Good Morning Dee...How are ya???? I don't really think about it....I am neutral I guess!!!!

Go to Top of Page

vicky by the bay
Permanent Resident

USA
4768 Posts

Go to Top of Page

klfrazier
Permanent Resident

1745 Posts

Posted - 07/19/2003 :  3:04:28 PM  Show Profile  Visit klfrazier's Homepage Send klfrazier a Private Message
I love working with color, but it is something that I've only recently become comfortable with. I love Fair Isle patterns, and find that they aren't that difficult once you get the hang of it. I'm not big, though, on intarsia. However, having said that, I also love knitting with either a beautiful yarn or textured patterns. It just depends on my mood.

Kristin
Go to Top of Page

klfrazier
Permanent Resident

1745 Posts

Posted - 07/19/2003 :  3:04:28 PM  Show Profile  Visit klfrazier's Homepage Send klfrazier a Private Message
I love working with color, but it is something that I've only recently become comfortable with. I love Fair Isle patterns, and find that they aren't that difficult once you get the hang of it. I'm not big, though, on intarsia. However, having said that, I also love knitting with either a beautiful yarn or textured patterns. It just depends on my mood.

Kristin
Go to Top of Page

klfrazier
Permanent Resident

1745 Posts

Kristin
Go to Top of Page

Pen
Warming Up

USA
58 Posts

Posted - 07/21/2003 :  5:05:14 PM  Show Profile Send Pen a Private Message
Hi Kristin,
I am trying to decide weather to try my hand at Fair Isle knitting..
I am just not sure about the dragging yarn...For the knit I understand but I'm not that sure how to drag it in the purl (back) side of work.

Go to Top of Page

Pen
Warming Up

USA
58 Posts

Hi Kristin,
I am just not sure about the dragging yarn...For the knit I understand but I'm not that sure how to drag it in the purl (back) side of work.

Go to Top of Page

Pen
Warming Up

USA
58 Posts

Hi Kristin,

Go to Top of Page

Susan T-O
Permanent Resident

USA
2481 Posts

Posted - 07/21/2003 :  8:56:46 PM  Show Profile  Visit Susan T-O's Homepage Send Susan T-O a Private Message
I have only done practice swatches that involve changing colors. My problem is, I don't really know how to do it without leaving a gap at the point of change. I know you are supposed to wrap the old color with the new, but every book and website I've been to explains it a little differently and I am "conpletely comfused" so to speak. And there are some lovely change-colors-often patterns in "Socks Socks Socks" that I am aching to try. . .

--Susan T-O

Speak your mind, even if your voice shakes.
Go to Top of Page

Susan T-O
Permanent Resident

USA
2481 Posts

Posted - 07/21/2003 :  8:56:46 PM  Show Profile  Visit Susan T-O's Homepage Send Susan T-O a Private Message
I have only done practice swatches that involve changing colors. My problem is, I don't really know how to do it without leaving a gap at the point of change. I know you are supposed to wrap the old color with the new, but every book and website I've been to explains it a little differently and I am "conpletely comfused" so to speak. And there are some lovely change-colors-often patterns in "Socks Socks Socks" that I am aching to try. . .

--Susan T-O

Speak your mind, even if your voice shakes.
Go to Top of Page

fmarrs
Guardian angel

USA
9776 Posts

Posted - 07/22/2003 :  03:04:20 AM  Show Profile Send fmarrs a Private Message
There are a lot of directions telling you to pass the yarn under or over or this way or that when changing colors. I find them all confusing. I just make sure that the yarns cross when changing colors and this closes up the holes. You get holes when there is no yarn crossing the spot where the two colors meet.

fran

Go to Top of Page

fmarrs
Guardian angel

USA
9776 Posts

There are a lot of directions telling you to pass the yarn under or over or this way or that when changing colors. I find them all confusing. I just make sure that the yarns cross when changing colors and this closes up the holes. You get holes when there is no yarn crossing the spot where the two colors meet.

fran

Go to Top of Page

fmarrs
Guardian angel

USA
9776 Posts

fran

Go to Top of Page

Maxtish
Chatty Knitter

USA
190 Posts

Posted - 07/22/2003 :  07:04:26 AM  Show Profile Send Maxtish a Private Message
At first I only knit textures as I didn't want to change colors. Then I did my first color project. I chose this big intarsia sweater for myself which had alternating triangles of color (black and blue) on all parts (front, back, and arms). If I had realized what I was getting into I would have chosen something with intarsia on the front. It took me ages to finish it but I did. Though afterwards I was wary of other projects just because of the time. Now I have done some color work with stripes, etc on kids stuff. And I did a dress with big polka dots for a 2 year old. I still am drawn mostly to textures with some simple color changes but intarsia and fair isle are still something I'd like to really master (if I ever have the time!).

Go to Top of Page

Maxtish
Chatty Knitter

USA
190 Posts

At first I only knit textures as I didn't want to change colors. Then I did my first color project. I chose this big intarsia sweater for myself which had alternating triangles of color (black and blue) on all parts (front, back, and arms). If I had realized what I was getting into I would have chosen something with intarsia on the front. It took me ages to finish it but I did. Though afterwards I was wary of other projects just because of the time. Now I have done some color work with stripes, etc on kids stuff. And I did a dress with big polka dots for a 2 year old. I still am drawn mostly to textures with some simple color changes but intarsia and fair isle are still something I'd like to really master (if I ever have the time!).

Go to Top of Page

Maxtish
Chatty Knitter

USA
190 Posts

Go to Top of Page

Phaedra28
Gabber Extraordinaire

485 Posts

Posted - 07/26/2003 :  3:46:12 PM  Show Profile Send Phaedra28 a Private Message
I'm not a big fan of intarsia, because it always seems to turn into an octopus for me, but I don't mind fair isle type knitting. Of course, I knit almost everything in the round, which means no purling in pattern, so I just hold one yarn in each hand and go for it.

On the other hand, I made myself an intarsia pattern that I'm going to make one of these days. Right now, I'm trying to find a yarn I really want to make it in -- I'm thinking I'll dye and spin it myself, just to make it really interesting (and put off that intarsia for a little longer {snicker})

The only thing I can say about intarsia, is that you have to *look* at the places where the yarns change. Make sure that the yarns will dance around one another, so that you can close the holes, and knit just a bit tighter. There's also a technique, developed by Rick Mondragon, for pulling one yarn through the edge and knitting over and back with that yarn then repeating the process. It's hard to explain, but doesn't look quite so hard to do. Problem with it is having to plan so much. I'm not a planner. Mostly, I know more or less what I want, then start knitting. I may not know what sort of a neckline I want when I cast on the body, but by the time I get there, I've usually figured something out. (Right now, I've got a sweater started that's about up to the armpits. Gonna have to figure out what sort of sleeves I want pretty soon, so I can finish it...)

Go to Top of Page

Phaedra28
Gabber Extraordinaire

485 Posts

Posted - 07/26/2003 :  3:46:12 PM  Show Profile Send Phaedra28 a Private Message
I'm not a big fan of intarsia, because it always seems to turn into an octopus for me, but I don't mind fair isle type knitting. Of course, I knit almost everything in the round, which means no purling in pattern, so I just hold one yarn in each hand and go for it.

On the other hand, I made myself an intarsia pattern that I'm going to make one of these days. Right now, I'm trying to find a yarn I really want to make it in -- I'm thinking I'll dye and spin it myself, just to make it really interesting (and put off that intarsia for a little longer {snicker})

The only thing I can say about intarsia, is that you have to *look* at the places where the yarns change. Make sure that the yarns will dance around one another, so that you can close the holes, and knit just a bit tighter. There's also a technique, developed by Rick Mondragon, for pulling one yarn through the edge and knitting over and back with that yarn then repeating the process. It's hard to explain, but doesn't look quite so hard to do. Problem with it is having to plan so much. I'm not a planner. Mostly, I know more or less what I want, then start knitting. I may not know what sort of a neckline I want when I cast on the body, but by the time I get there, I've usually figured something out. (Right now, I've got a sweater started that's about up to the armpits. Gonna have to figure out what sort of sleeves I want pretty soon, so I can finish it...)

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.81 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?

line subscribe to Knitter's Reviwe