Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: A strong and discreet knot for knitting
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Knitting Talk
 Shawls and Scarves
 Need tips on blocking cashmere Irish Hiking Scarf
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

elkymama
Seriously Hooked

USA
688 Posts

Posted - 12/24/2005 :  09:18:55 AM  Show Profile Send elkymama a Private Message
I need all the advice I can get on this project. It's my first time making anything in cashmere and my first time using this pattern, which features 3 columns of cables with narrow ribs in between.

What's the best way to block this scarf?

"There's a thin line between hobby & mental illness."

blr2449
Permanent Resident

USA
1378 Posts

Posted - 12/24/2005 :  12:17:23 PM  Show Profile  Visit blr2449's Homepage  Send blr2449 a Yahoo! Message Send blr2449 a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by elkymama

I need all the advice I can get on this project. It's my first time making anything in cashmere and my first time using this pattern, which features 3 columns of cables with narrow ribs in between.

While I can't offer help about blocking I would love to see a photo of this scarf as I have some cashmere I'd thought of doing up as an Irish Hiking Scarf.

Barbara
http://graniterose.livejournal.com/
If YOU don't talk to your CAT about catnip, who will?
Go to Top of Page

maribelaprn
Permanent Resident

USA
2033 Posts

Posted - 12/24/2005 :  2:05:16 PM  Show Profile Send maribelaprn a Private Message
Here you go, Barbara...

http://www.helloyarn.com/irishhikingcarf.htm

And check out this one....

http://www.helloyarn.com/besottedcarf.htm

I like this one better than the cable version. There are some lovely free patterns on this site.

Mari

WIP: Nashua Knitworks Wrap

My blog: http://maribelaprn.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

rather be knitting
Seriously Hooked

USA
954 Posts

Posted - 12/24/2005 :  3:16:37 PM  Show Profile Send rather be knitting a Private Message
Hi MB -- have been keeping an eye on your question to see if someone with experience blocking cashmere and/or the IHS replies. Since there is nothing yet, i'll add my 2-cents worth.

If i remember correctly, you bought your cashmere already skeined. That means it has already been thoroughly washed. So i'd guess that getting it wet again won't do it any harm.

However, the only scarves i have soaked to block are the ones with a lace pattern. For all the others (eg: ribs and cables), i first spritz them with a little water and lay them out flat. I do a preliminary shaping -- getting it the size i want and the edges straight with just my fingers. I then take my steam iron and hover it over the fabric (being careful not to touch the knitting). The steam gets into the fiber, and then i shape it a little more. Once it is the way i want it, i just leave it flat to dry thoroughly.

Yesterday i blocked my replacement to the IHS. It had ribs on each side (farrow rib) and a cable down the center, so it was similar to the IHS. I'm glad i steam blocked it because i think if i had soaked it first, it would have been easy to get it too wide -- and that would have "flattened out" the ribs too much. By doing it with steam, it was easy to control how much space i wanted to add between the ribs. The blocking also "brought out" the cable pattern nicely.

Hope this helps. Have you started in on the pink cashmere one yet? Happy knitting, and Happy Holidays -- claire
Go to Top of Page

boboknits
Chatty Knitter

USA
206 Posts

Posted - 12/24/2005 :  5:24:25 PM  Show Profile  Visit boboknits's Homepage Send boboknits a Private Message
Just to add my $.02 for what it's worth. I just finished the IHS in wool and I haven't worked with cashmere so I can't help you there, but I blocked my wool IHS using the wet block method, laid it flat to dry and used blocking wires to shape it. I also used a yardstick to "straighten out" the ribs and cables. It worked beautifully. Hope that helps.

Beth
Go to Top of Page

rather be knitting
Seriously Hooked

USA
954 Posts

Posted - 12/25/2005 :  1:26:47 PM  Show Profile Send rather be knitting a Private Message
What a helpful bunch we are -- one vote wet block, one vote steam. Beth, i'm trying to picture how you used the yardstick -- can you explain that a little more?
claire
Go to Top of Page

boboknits
Chatty Knitter

USA
206 Posts

Posted - 12/25/2005 :  9:10:28 PM  Show Profile  Visit boboknits's Homepage Send boboknits a Private Message
Hi Claire,

I used the yardstick on its side to run down the channels between the ribs and cables. One row wasn't particularly minding me so I spritzed it with some water then put the yardstick next to it and kind of pushed it into place. My finished scarf was 56" long so the yardstick was the longest "straight line" I had to even out the rows. This scarf was so much fun I joined the IHS Knitalong and now I'm working on an Irish Hiking hat. Have fun!

Beth
Go to Top of Page

elkymama
Seriously Hooked

USA
688 Posts

Posted - 12/25/2005 :  11:13:16 PM  Show Profile Send elkymama a Private Message
Thanks, y'all for discussing your experience with this scarf. Beth, I'm definitely trying your yardstick technique.

What length is good for this scarf? 48"? 55"?

Right now my scarf is 35" long and about 4" wide before blocking. The ribs and cables really draw this scarf up like an accordian. It looks like it will open up to about 5 1/2 inches wide after blocking.

I have found myself wondering if my scarf is a little on the narrow side. At 5 1/2" wide, it's not quite wide enough to fold in half the way most people do when they wrap a scarf around their neck.

Go to Top of Page

tsarina
Chatty Knitter

USA
123 Posts

Posted - 12/26/2005 :  07:57:01 AM  Show Profile Send tsarina a Private Message
Mari- thanks for the extra irish hiking scarf pattern--I've been asked to make one for a school fundraising auction- and was going to do the cable, but I like the other one so much more--is it much more difficult??

Many thanks to all- Elizabeth
Go to Top of Page

rather be knitting
Seriously Hooked

USA
954 Posts

Posted - 12/26/2005 :  12:02:43 PM  Show Profile Send rather be knitting a Private Message
Thanks Beth -- that sounds like a good technique for anything with a rib pattern. I'll have to try it soon. Do you have a link for the IHS Knitalong?

Elkymama -- i think most of the IHS i've seen on the web are 55-60 inches long and about 5-5.5 inches wide. I make most of my scarves about that length and width if they are for gifts. I don't think they need to be folded in half to wrap around (never seen that done actually).

I like mine a bit longer 70-80 -- i like to fold them in half (width-wise), and slip the loose ends into the folded end in the front (it's how weavers often display their scarves at shows). It looks nice if they are a little longer (but don't think men would ever wear a scarf this way).

When i blocked my ribs and cable scarf, i could have made it much wider by stretching out the ribs. But i think the ribs help make the scarf warm. So there's got to be a happy medium -- wide enough, but some "ribby-ness." I was thinking that it would be fun to make one with an extra row or 2 of ribs -- and then not block it at all. Wonder how much yarn that would take ;-)))

I usually get pretty impatient and want to know what the finished scarf is going to look like -- especially when knitting a lace pattern. I usually end up knitting about 6 inches, then doing a light "steam blocking" while it is still on the needles. That way i can see how wide it is going to be, what the finished pattern is going to look like, and if i'm using the right size needles for the stitch pattern and yarn. Plus it inspires me for the other 50+ inches ;-))) If i don't like it, i'd rather frog 6" than have a 60" scarf that i'm not happy with (and that has happened).

happy knitting!
claire
Go to Top of Page

suek137
Chatty Knitter

340 Posts

Posted - 12/26/2005 :  2:27:04 PM  Show Profile Send suek137 a Private Message
I am SOO excited. My best friend gave a pair of Lantern Moon Rosewood needles #8 for Christmas and I have some beautiful Aran yarn. I have wanted to knit a sweater forever, but am too intimidated. Just this morning I decided to start with a scarf but couldn't find a pattern. Now I have 2 to choose from. Thanks, I LOVE THIS FORUM !!!!!
Go to Top of Page

maribelaprn
Permanent Resident

USA
2033 Posts

Posted - 12/26/2005 :  2:40:37 PM  Show Profile Send maribelaprn a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by tsarina

Mari- thanks for the extra irish hiking scarf pattern--I've been asked to make one for a school fundraising auction- and was going to do the cable, but I like the other one so much more--is it much more difficult??

Elizabeth, I don't think the "Besotted" pattern is more difficult, it's just a different type of cable. Once you get the hang of it, it's not any more difficult than the straight-forward cable of the Irish Hiking Scarf. In the "Besotted" scarf, you have cables with the cable needle held in front of the work as well as in the back of the work.

As for the width, you can add as many cable repeats as you want to make the scarf any width you'd like. You can add many cables and turn it into a wrap if you want. Just figure out how many more stitches you need to cast on to make a wider scarf.

Mari

WIP: Nashua Knitworks Wrap

My blog: http://maribelaprn.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

boboknits
Chatty Knitter

USA
206 Posts

Posted - 12/26/2005 :  4:31:36 PM  Show Profile  Visit boboknits's Homepage Send boboknits a Private Message
Claire,

Check out the Irish Hiking Knitalong at http://irishhikingknitalong.blogspot.com/ There are tons of people in the knitalong and the archives are a wealth of information for anyone working this scarf!
Beth
Go to Top of Page

AngieSue
Permanent Resident

USA
1606 Posts

Posted - 12/26/2005 :  9:36:16 PM  Show Profile Send AngieSue a Private Message
Elkymama, I don't know if you still need any help but I made the Irish Hiking Scarf out of Lamb's Pride Worsted. I didn't really block it out but I did give the scarf a quick soak and rinse with hair conditioner. The scarf is for my BIL, and for him, I like the tight look rather than the opening up the ribbing. I laid it out on a couple of towels, in a straight fashion, and let it dry.

As for cashmere, I also did a cowl out of Jaeger Cashair (OMG, what lovely yarn) and also blocked it. I did the same wash as for the scarf and it turned out wonderful. My mother was quite happy on Christmas morning...she sported the cowl all morning!! The cowl became more lush after the blocking.

I must say that Irish Hiking scarf in cashmere must be absolutely scrumptious!
Go to Top of Page

rather be knitting
Seriously Hooked

USA
954 Posts

Posted - 12/26/2005 :  9:47:04 PM  Show Profile Send rather be knitting a Private Message
Beth -- thanks for the link. Lots of great info and photos there!
claire
Go to Top of Page

blr2449
Permanent Resident

USA
1378 Posts

Posted - 12/27/2005 :  05:51:43 AM  Show Profile  Visit blr2449's Homepage  Send blr2449 a Yahoo! Message Send blr2449 a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by elkymama

I need all the advice I can get on this project. It's my first time making anything in cashmere

Elkymama, what size needles did you use?

I've made several of the IHS in heavier yarns and have some cashmere I'd like to try. I checked the Knitalong other members mentioned but can't find (so far) a scarf knit from a thinner yarn.

Thanks.

Barbara
http://graniterose.livejournal.com/
If YOU don't talk to your CAT about catnip, who will?
Go to Top of Page

elkymama
Seriously Hooked

USA
688 Posts

Posted - 12/27/2005 :  08:42:49 AM  Show Profile Send elkymama a Private Message
Barbara, I'm using size 4 needles for a yarn that is what I'd describe as sport weight. In a little bit, I'm going to knit a swatch on size 5
to see how I like that. If so, I may switch to the larger needles for the second scarf.

Beth, thanks for the link to the IHS blog. I had no idea this particular pattern had such a wide following, much less it's own blog! Just think -- 10 years ago, it's likely none of us would have ever met anyone else who had knit this pattern. Ah the marvels of the Internet never cease.

Go to Top of Page

renee_knits
Seriously Hooked

702 Posts

Posted - 12/27/2005 :  09:33:25 AM  Show Profile Send renee_knits a Private Message
Thanks, Mari, for the link to the "other" scarf--I like it better, too, and now my husband is going to get another scarf whether he "needs" it or not!

By the way, this year I've seen lots of men wearing their (long) scarves folded, with both ends looped through the fold--the first one was a man who came into my LYS with his wife and commented that they had just returned from Europe (don't remember exactly where), where he had seen men wearing their scarves that way.

Knitting IS real life!
Go to Top of Page

rather be knitting
Seriously Hooked

USA
954 Posts

Posted - 12/27/2005 :  12:28:43 PM  Show Profile Send rather be knitting a Private Message
That's my favorite way to wear a scarf too, but i've never seen men wearing one that way (but then, i live in the boonies -- maybe a more metropolitan environment?). I usually make my scarves longer (70-80") so i have the ends hanging down after they have been slipped though the fold.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.98 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?

line subscribe to Knitter's Reviwe