Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Great last-minute gifts for knitters
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Spinner Central
 Fiber Swap
 Handspun Yarn Swap Result
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

yarnlover
Permanent Resident

1753 Posts

Posted - 10/31/2005 :  9:23:45 PM  Show Profile Send yarnlover a Private Message
The handspun yarn swap samples are in the mail!

I had a fun morning today. I opened the envelopes from our first handspun yarn swap. Yep, I held those envelopes without opening them til today. I received a couple of envelopes before I was finished with my spinning and didn't want any influence. Then decided part of the fun is opening the envelope and seeing the all samples together at one time. So that's what I did, and I'm glad I waited.

Wow! What a great variety of yarn. From lace weight to bulky. And the colors!! It's so interesting to see how different the yarn is from spinners using the same basic instructions. I'm so impressed.

I took pictures but won't post for a few days until the spinners have had a chance to open envelopes and see the samples firsthand.

See My Stuff: Here

Suziehomemaker
Warming Up

USA
93 Posts

Posted - 11/01/2005 :  07:31:15 AM  Show Profile  Visit Suziehomemaker's Homepage Send Suziehomemaker a Private Message
Thank you for the update! I'll be checking my mail anxiously every day until it arrives!
Go to Top of Page

kknitter
Gabber Extraordinaire

407 Posts

Posted - 11/01/2005 :  08:28:07 AM  Show Profile Send kknitter a Private Message
So are you dyeing your own fiber? I so enjoyed looking at your yarn! I've dyed my own fiber before I spun it, but only one time had it turn out really nice. Right now I've been buying already dyed fiber to spin. Only so much time with real life, spinning, knitting and weaving...
Go to Top of Page

yarnlover
Permanent Resident

1753 Posts

Posted - 11/01/2005 :  08:48:07 AM  Show Profile Send yarnlover a Private Message
Hi kknitter,

For this yarn swap, the criteria was to dye wool using kool-aid, food coloring or icing dye. Some spinners chose to use other acid dyes, as they were familiar with using those and had them on hand. We were to come up with "autumn" colors. I had done a little bit of dyeing a few years ago, but like you say, time is a factor. So this was a great way to get back to it a little bit. Most of the fiber I have on hand has been purchased already dyed, but I did find a small stash of wool I had dyed and forgot about. Hope to get a chance to spin this in the next few weeks or maybe months.......

Go to Top of Page

Andy
Seriously Hooked

USA
774 Posts

Posted - 11/01/2005 :  1:32:57 PM  Show Profile Send Andy a Private Message
Would anybody be interested in posting pictures of things they make with the combined spinning samples? Whether sample cards or projects, etc? I haven't seen them yet but think I'll do a module knit, maybe a pillow top or whatever is there.

Andy-wommon
Go to Top of Page

Lanthir
Warming Up

USA
54 Posts

Posted - 11/01/2005 :  1:51:27 PM  Show Profile  Visit Lanthir's Homepage Send Lanthir a Private Message
I can hardly wait to see all the yarn samples!

"And we shall call it 'This Land'"
Firefly
Go to Top of Page

Suziehomemaker
Warming Up

USA
93 Posts

Posted - 11/02/2005 :  07:15:14 AM  Show Profile  Visit Suziehomemaker's Homepage Send Suziehomemaker a Private Message
Andy - That's a good idea. I was hoping to knit something small up using all of the samples but I wanted to see the colors first. I wasn't sure how many total yards we're going to end up getting since it sounds liked some people couldn't make it. I was thinking that if I didn't have enough for something that I could use them as an "accent piece" and just dye the remaining wool that I already have on hand.
Go to Top of Page

Lanthir
Warming Up

USA
54 Posts

Posted - 11/04/2005 :  05:38:38 AM  Show Profile  Visit Lanthir's Homepage Send Lanthir a Private Message
I just got the yarn in the mail yesterday. It's all so pretty! Wow, everybody spins so nicely (^_^)

"And we shall call it 'This Land'"
Firefly
Go to Top of Page

spinningbunny
Warming Up

USA
57 Posts

Posted - 11/04/2005 :  06:38:36 AM  Show Profile  Visit spinningbunny's Homepage Send spinningbunny a Private Message
I received the package of little presents just as I was packing to leave for 2 days. I opened it up, oohed and ahh'ed and nearly opened each envleope but restrained myself as I was on a time line. I carefully placed them all on a table in the 'fiber room' to wait patiently for my return tonight.
I have been reading the posts so now understand why all the samples but mine go together so nicely. I must have missed the autumn colors instruction ( mea culpa- I think I have been doing too much for too long-sigh). Well I do consider purples and blues as year round colors as I wear them year round but...... My apologies to all in this swap for my oversight.('[blush]')

I am looking forward to fondling and enjoying the samples tomorrow morning.

Have a hoppin'in day,
Susan, the bunny's spinner
http://www.spinningbunny.com
Go to Top of Page

yarnlover
Permanent Resident

1753 Posts

Posted - 11/04/2005 :  10:07:27 AM  Show Profile Send yarnlover a Private Message
quote:
Well I do consider purples and blues as year round colors as I wear them year round

For the autumn, think mums, asters, winter pansies, those cabbage plants that go in in the fall. Plus some maple trees have leaves that turn a beautiful purple.

Go to Top of Page

Suziehomemaker
Warming Up

USA
93 Posts

Posted - 11/04/2005 :  11:16:43 AM  Show Profile  Visit Suziehomemaker's Homepage Send Suziehomemaker a Private Message
I received my package last night and definitely got wowed by everyone's expertise! I found that mine was over twisted and that could be from spinning too quickly or that I didn't know to hang the yarn with a weight as it dried (just learned that from the latest Spin Off magazine).

I would love to hear any constructive criticism about my sample since it was my first time trying everything. I can tell that many of you have produced wonderful samples and I would love to learn more as I go. Thanks again!
Go to Top of Page

SpottedTApps
New Pal

USA
41 Posts

Posted - 11/04/2005 :  5:19:11 PM  Show Profile  Visit SpottedTApps's Homepage Send SpottedTApps a Private Message
Ok, so time to start the next one? I'm anxious!

See my new spinning blog! www.freewebs.com/spottedtapps
Go to Top of Page

spinningbunny
Warming Up

USA
57 Posts

Posted - 11/06/2005 :  3:44:09 PM  Show Profile  Visit spinningbunny's Homepage Send spinningbunny a Private Message
Firstly thanks to everyone who participated. Each sample is so individual and lovely. I am looking at them and getting ideas. so neat!

and thanks for the purples into fall explanation. I like that very much too.
For the autumn, think mums, asters, winter pansies, those cabbage plants that go in in the fall. Plus some maple trees have leaves that turn a beautiful purple.

My only suggestion is to send more yardage next time so that the possibility of making a hat or wrist warmers (they only take about an ounce of yarn) is available to those who choose so. Maybe decide on a possible project and then divide the needed yardage by the amount of swappers?

Have a hoppin'in day,
Susan, the bunny's spinner
http://www.spinningbunny.com
Go to Top of Page

Manicgirl
Chatty Knitter

Sweden
203 Posts

Posted - 11/08/2005 :  12:47:33 PM  Show Profile  Visit Manicgirl's Homepage Send Manicgirl a Private Message
I've gotten my samples too now! It was so much fun to see, feel and read what you did. It was so nice that all the yarns were so different! Personally, I don't need samples with more yardage. For me, it's enough inspiration to see what everyone else has been doing. But if there's another swap, with more yardage, that's no problem at all, both ways work fine for me.

I think this was a great idea, and if there's another swap, I'll definately join!
Thank you Yarnlover, for organizing this!

Tina
(My blog: http://ulltopia.typepad.com/wooltopia)
Go to Top of Page

yarnlover
Permanent Resident

1753 Posts

Posted - 11/08/2005 :  10:31:52 PM  Show Profile Send yarnlover a Private Message
I'm glad the spinners in the swap liked the results. I know I did. The information included with each sample is a great guide to how the yarn was produced.

I have posted some photos in my yahoo albums - the one titled KR Yarn Swap. I took pictures of my wool as my work on this project progressed and I included those photos as well. The color/brightness is better in some photos than others, but hopefully the photos are clear enough for everyone to see the results.

As far as another swap, I did volunteer to organize it one more time and will start a separate thread for sign up.

I see the suggestions for more yardage and think that would be a fun swap, but for the next one I will still use the criteria of about 5 yards. My reason is that the swap purpose is to gather samples from other spinners to study what they did and how, rather than to have a supply of yarn for knitting.

I think a swap for the specific purpose of exchanging yarn to knit a small item would be fun, but that would be the goal, and the criteria would be set for that particular goal. There's lots of time for more swaps and this is one that could follow in the future. I'm sure someone would love to start it up! I'll repeat this in the new post to sign up for another swap.

Go to Top of Page

Martheme
Sustaining Member

USA
1565 Posts

Posted - 11/09/2005 :  09:14:27 AM  Show Profile  Visit Martheme's Homepage  Send Martheme a Yahoo! Message Send Martheme a Private Message
Hi,

I finally got to the po box 2 days ago and mailed off samples to almost everyone (kim - I hope to send yours today ;) Thanks for letting me send them a little late, it was a big help. . .

Loved to see what everyone did, very interesting!

Had an idea for next swap - challenge! Everyone would agree to try a new technique (ie different prespinning prep, different spinning tech than usually use, different plying etc) what do you think?

Just a thought,

Martheme

PS - typing 1 handed, baby in the other!

visit my sites:
http://www.inspirationsyarn.com & http://martheme.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

RoseByAny
Permanent Resident

USA
12598 Posts

Posted - 11/09/2005 :  09:17:32 AM  Show Profile  Visit RoseByAny's Homepage Send RoseByAny a Private Message
Would spinning with a baby in one hand be your challenge, Martheme?

"Choose your friends by their character and your socks by their color. Choosing your socks by their character makes no sense, and choosing your friends by their color is unthinkable."
http://RoseByAny.BlogSpot.Com
Go to Top of Page

Martheme
Sustaining Member

USA
1565 Posts

Posted - 11/09/2005 :  11:25:14 AM  Show Profile  Visit Martheme's Homepage  Send Martheme a Yahoo! Message Send Martheme a Private Message
LOL! That would be a challenge!

Hmm, maybe long draw with one hand, baby in the other? How bout that?

Actually, I'm thinking of trying Navajo plying . . .

Martheme

visit my sites:
http://www.inspirationsyarn.com & http://martheme.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Andy
Seriously Hooked

USA
774 Posts

Posted - 11/09/2005 :  4:06:08 PM  Show Profile Send Andy a Private Message
Got mine too. Knitted them up as diamond modules picking up stitches on the edges and made a little zip 4x7 envelope bag, since I had a lot of my own extras in my color. Thanks to everyone for your interesting spinning. It is nice to see the range of styles, etc. My suggestion for next time might be to outline a specific size and type likely to be do-able for each and to actually send the amount that is requested *hint*. For instance: 5 yards of double-ply knitting worsted weight in "cool winter" colors. You might suggest it start about at 12-17wpi per thread. Just a suggestion to make things easier for later use.

Give Coleridge credit for saying that people most often err in what they condemn and are nearest the truth in what they allow.

Andy-wommon
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.62 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?