Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Photos and wisdom from the Knitter's Review Retreat
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Things we do Besides Knitting
 Recipe Swap
 Summer Canning
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

KL
Permanent Resident

6041 Posts

Posted - 07/29/2005 :  07:18:07 AM  Show Profile Send KL a Private Message
Does anyone have a favorite canning recipe-mainly fruit- to share with me? California peaches and pears are coming into season. I'm terrifies of trying to do anything that requires a pressure cooker so thought I'd do jams. I'm looking for recipes that are not in the canning mags and thought some of you out there might have something yummy to share. On my trip to Minn. I missed getting my fave-Chokecherry jam- they had been wiped out by the tourists. We don't get chokecherries here, so will have to wait till nest year. thanks for any suggestions. KL

purlewe
Permanent Resident

1932 Posts

Posted - 07/29/2005 :  10:48:02 AM  Show Profile  Visit purlewe's Homepage Send purlewe a Private Message
I don't have any family recipes.. but I've been canning this yr and have been using a book something like "blue ribbon winning recipes" that is really super good. It had a tomato jam recipe in it that I hadn't had since my mother made it when I was young (I've been looking for one ever since..) So while it isn't a family recipe book I would highly recommend it.

last time I canned (2 weeks ago) I made a fabulous peach marmalade. highly recommended.

My mother made me a homosexual.
And if you give her some yarn, she'll make you one too. ~quentin crisp

http://purlewe.typepad.com/
Go to Top of Page

Luann
Permanent Resident

USA
2678 Posts

Posted - 07/29/2005 :  1:39:15 PM  Show Profile  Visit Luann's Homepage Send Luann a Private Message
The old book "Putting Food By" is my go-to for basic recipies, and Ball makes a good one for fresh, simple jams. I have a crab apple tree that produces like crazy and makes amazing jelly. Enough natural pectin that I don't have to add any. I do my canning in a hot water bath, not the pressure cooker. Last year we were out of town when the fruit ripened and I didn't get to pick any. The year before I got the juice made but it's still sitting in the freezer waiting to become jelly. I hope this year (in a few weeks in fact) I can make up for the missed years! Can't beat it for holiday and hostess gifts.

Luann

Knit and let knit!
Go to Top of Page

mokey
Permanent Resident

15375 Posts

Posted - 07/29/2005 :  2:26:38 PM  Show Profile Send mokey a Private Message
There are plenty of great recipes, including freezer and small batch using Certo.

http://www.kraftcanada.com/controller?cmd=ARTICLE_VIEW&lang=EN&sid=41016&aid=22002&ctx=5000

"An injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere." Martin Luther King Jr.
www.femiknits.blog-city.com
Go to Top of Page

chellethinques
Permanent Resident

USA
1431 Posts

Posted - 07/29/2005 :  5:49:41 PM  Show Profile Send chellethinques a Private Message
Do you have enough freezer space to freeze them instead? I just washed and sliced the fruit, tossed it in a little lemon juice, and laid the slices out on a wax paper covered cookie sheet to freeze individually. Then pop them in a ziploc when solid. The advantage is that you can use as many or few as you need.
That said, I would love to have my grandmother's canned spiced peaches recipe. I've never tasted anything better.
Go to Top of Page

KL
Permanent Resident

6041 Posts

Posted - 07/29/2005 :  6:09:58 PM  Show Profile Send KL a Private Message
Thanks all for the tips. I've always wanted to do the freezer thing but don't have space as yet. We need to clean out garage freezer first! The books mentioned are new ones to me except Ball, which I have. I'll have to do some research for them-I expect there aren't many as canning is not so popular anymore. I have the most wonderful sense of accomplishment when it's all done; looking at all the jars on the counter at the end of the day.Thanks again, KL
Go to Top of Page

purlewe
Permanent Resident

1932 Posts

Posted - 07/30/2005 :  06:25:38 AM  Show Profile  Visit purlewe's Homepage Send purlewe a Private Message
KL-

In the ball recipe book I would also highly recommend the blueberry lime recipe. AMAZING. who would have thought blueberries and limes??

Go to Top of Page

KL
Permanent Resident

6041 Posts

Posted - 07/30/2005 :  06:55:28 AM  Show Profile Send KL a Private Message
Purlewe-One summer I did Blueberry-rhubarb- It was fabulous and that year was everyones fave. After that I did strawberry-rhubarb and it was great also. Even the people who don't care for rhubarb alone liked the jam.Bluberried are very pricy here in So.Cal. so I really have to splurge to make anything with them. KL
Go to Top of Page

yarnlover
Permanent Resident

1753 Posts

Posted - 07/30/2005 :  10:53:11 AM  Show Profile Send yarnlover a Private Message
I love the freezer jams. Very easy to make and they taste wonderful. I think Certo or Sure-Jell has a product for freezer jam with less sugar. I haven't tried it but plan to this year.

Blueberries are expensive in the grocery stores here in MI also, but in the western part of the state there are, apparently, a lot of blueberry farms. The first time I went to the Michigan Fiber Festival, passed several road side stands selling blueberries and was astounded at how affordable they were. Now, that's part of the trip - buying blueberries. I was told to freeze them, using the same method mentioned by chellethinques, and it works. I bought 10 lbs last year, shared some, made muffins, used them in frozen frostie-type drinks and just enjoyed them so much.

See My Stuff: Here

Go to Top of Page

purlewe
Permanent Resident

1932 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2005 :  12:01:03 PM  Show Profile  Visit purlewe's Homepage Send purlewe a Private Message
KL-

My co-worker (the one I've been canning with) just bought 2 lovely books about canning you might want to peruse next time you are at your local bookstore.

Preserving the Harvest

and All about Canning and Preserving (by the Joy of Cooking people.)

Go to Top of Page

englishtch
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
400 Posts

Posted - 08/03/2005 :  05:52:05 AM  Show Profile  Visit englishtch's Homepage Send englishtch a Private Message
My favorite book for canning has been the Farm Journal Freezing and Canning book. I found a copy on half.com. I have used many recipes from it, but my favorite has to be the peach melba jam, with raspberries. That's a splurge for me because I live in the Texas panhandle - raspberries don't grow here, but the final product has been worth it.

My blog: www.soonerbeknitting.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

purlewe
Permanent Resident

1932 Posts

Posted - 08/03/2005 :  06:25:05 AM  Show Profile  Visit purlewe's Homepage Send purlewe a Private Message
englishtch-

I just made the peach melba with frozen rasberries.. perfection. Really super yum. I highly agree.

Go to Top of Page

KL
Permanent Resident

6041 Posts

Posted - 08/03/2005 :  06:29:22 AM  Show Profile Send KL a Private Message
English tch and purlewe- I'm on the peach melba thing! I've never heard of half.com but am going to see if I can get a copy along with some of the other books mentioned here. Thanks all for the tips. KL
Go to Top of Page

Inkmama
Seriously Hooked

891 Posts

Posted - 08/03/2005 :  07:18:00 AM  Show Profile  Visit Inkmama's Homepage Send Inkmama a Private Message
Off the subject a bit, but....there's a wonderful book: BLUE JELLY AND THE LESSONS OF CANNING by Debbie Bull. It's a fun narrative with canning recipes. All the recipes are tied into the story.

Barbara

Writing blog: http://penonfire.blogspot.com

Knitting blog: http://knittingonfire.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

englishtch
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
400 Posts

Posted - 08/03/2005 :  10:43:30 AM  Show Profile  Visit englishtch's Homepage Send englishtch a Private Message
The Farm Journal books should be available in most bookstores. I just used half.com because I'm cheap. There have been many editions, so you need to look at the publication date - they have made many corrections and changes over the years.

The Farm Journal has a large line of recipe books, and I love most of them. I really love the County Fair book which has state fair winning recipes for pies, cakes, bread, and cookies.

Purlewe - thanks for the idea for frozen raspberries. I was afraid the jam would be watery with frozen fruit, but I'll try it.

My blog: www.soonerbeknitting.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Sketcher
Gabber Extraordinaire

597 Posts

Posted - 08/11/2005 :  7:49:30 PM  Show Profile Send Sketcher a Private Message
Don't forget to check out canning/preserving books from the library. You can try a book out to see if you really want it. Besides "Putting Food By" (mentioned above), I also like "Small-Batch Preserving". They have a "Peach Pear Jam with Lime". I can PM it to you if you like.
Go to Top of Page

Sketcher
Gabber Extraordinaire

597 Posts

Posted - 08/12/2005 :  11:22:03 AM  Show Profile Send Sketcher a Private Message
I decided to post it here in case anyone else would like to try it.

Peach Pear Jam with Lime

Rind of 1 lime
2 cups finely chopped peeled peaches
2 cups finely chopped peeled pears
1 box dry fruit pectin
5 cups sugar

1. Remove thin outer rind of lime with vegetable peeler & cut into fine strips or use zester. Place lime rind in small microwaveable bowl with 1/4 cup water. Microwave on High for 1 minute. Drain and discard liquid; reserve lime rind.

2. Place peaches, pears, lime rind and pectin in non-reactive pot. Bring to boil over high heat, stirring constantly. Add sugar, return to boil, and boil hard for 1 minute. Remove from heat.

3. Ladle into sterilized jars and process 5 minutes.

(from "Small-Batch Preserving" by Ellie Topp & Margaret Howard)

Go to Top of Page

KL
Permanent Resident

6041 Posts

Posted - 08/12/2005 :  8:46:57 PM  Show Profile Send KL a Private Message
Sketcher- That sounds really good. I've never seen a recipe using both peach and pear together. thanks for posting. KL
Go to Top of Page

purlewe
Permanent Resident

1932 Posts

Posted - 08/16/2005 :  07:49:42 AM  Show Profile  Visit purlewe's Homepage Send purlewe a Private Message
YUM! that sounds divine.

All of my jams have been well received so far. I even made a batch of tomato preserves for my mother and gave them to her last week.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.58 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by