Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: We welcome a succulent Merino from Patagonia
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Knitting Talk
 Desert Island Stash
 If I were stuck on an island.....
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

claudiam
Chatty Knitter

USA
144 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2003 :  7:53:55 PM  Show Profile  Visit claudiam's Homepage Send claudiam a Private Message
I would want Charles Collezione Victoria yarn. Number 83 I love the color and the feel of that yarn, but thank God I don't only have this choice.

Jeanie
Chatty Knitter

New Zealand
142 Posts

Posted - 09/18/2003 :  06:54:39 AM  Show Profile Send Jeanie a Private Message
Claudiam
Perish the thought of being on a desert island without a LYS or a big fat stash. That is what I would have to take " all my stash "
otherwise I would be stir crazy in a very short time & would have to learn how to make thread out of coconut fibre & fashion needles out of sticks. Makes you wonder what made our ancestors way, way back intime invent knitting!
Please tell me what is so special about "Charles Collezione Victoria yarn" being from NZ I haven't run into that brand. I am intriqued.

JLH
Go to Top of Page

Darjeeling
New Pal

5 Posts

Posted - 11/09/2003 :  12:30:13 PM  Show Profile Send Darjeeling a Private Message
On a desert island I would want Knitter's Stash and Filatura Lanarota to make all the dishcloth/facecloth patterns. I'd knit the cloths together to make my tent and hammock! Then I'd use the coconut fibers to knit a raft to get back to someplace where I could get some different yarn!
Carol of Redmond

Go to Top of Page

Jacqueline
Gabber Extraordinaire

Australia
509 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2004 :  9:22:12 PM  Show Profile Send Jacqueline a Private Message
Carol,

You are way too funny.....and a wiser woman that I will every be!

May your hammock be comfortable and your raft be water proof!

Jacqueline

Today's mighty oak is just yesterday's nut, that held its ground
Go to Top of Page

mokey
Permanent Resident

15375 Posts

Posted - 01/11/2004 :  12:25:04 AM  Show Profile Send mokey a Private Message
If I were really truly to be stuck on a desert island, I would want an infinite supply of hemp yarn. I'm assuming it's a tropical island! If it's an Arctic/Antarctic one, then I want Lopi.

Monika

"There is no beauty in the finest cloth if it makes hunger and unhappiness." Gandhi
Go to Top of Page

crafty1mjw@comcast.net
Seriously Hooked

USA
910 Posts

Posted - 02/04/2004 :  5:28:35 PM  Show Profile Send crafty1mjw@comcast.net a Private Message
I would want any yarn by LionBrand, any needles from Peace Fleece, the Stitch N' beach book, & the SWAK tote bag.
Marg, I dieing to get one of these totes. Since our printer doesn't
work & I don't have a proper credit card, I'm waiting for some info
from the Wool Bin store on how I can order one.

craftymjw

Keep on knittin'!
The more, the merrier!
Go to Top of Page

ohoney
New Pal

USA
36 Posts

Posted - 02/04/2004 :  6:56:05 PM  Show Profile Send ohoney a Private Message
I would bring all the purple yarn I could with me. As long as it is purple I not picky about the brand. Wooden knitting needles. All of Garth Brooks CD's so I won't get lonely. Hope the bunny batteries really do keep on going & going.

What is a Swak tote bag. I am using a Books a Million bag that I got when I renewed my discount card. It hold more then you think. But it isn't very pretty.

Marie
Joplin Missouri USA

Go to Top of Page

misery
Chatty Knitter

USA
107 Posts

Posted - 02/04/2004 :  11:39:54 PM  Show Profile Send misery a Private Message
Hi, I would bring some patons grace in all colors, my birch wood knitting needles, the knitting stitch bible and could I bring my Lord of the rings book.
Knit on

Ships at a distance have every man's wish on board. For some they come in with the tide. For others they sail forever on the horizon, never out of sight, never landing until the watcher turns his eyes away in resignation, his dreams mocked to death by time. That is the life of men. Now, women forget all those things they don't want to remember, and remember everything they don't want to forget. The dream is the truth. Than they act and do things accordingly.
Go to Top of Page

Janice Alline
Seriously Hooked

USA
633 Posts

Posted - 02/05/2004 :  6:45:26 PM  Show Profile Send Janice Alline a Private Message
Uh oh! Willette is a LOTR fan! S Eliz (aka hobbitknitter) is one of our most outspoken Rings fans, as you can tell by her forum name. She keeps us all up to date on the latest.

Willette, which book would you take or did you mean the whole series?

I like your idea, Carol.

I have no idea what I would take on my desert island. I haven't been knitting long enough to know.

Jan from Lawrence, KS
"You know you drink too much coffee when you don't tan, you roast.
Go to Top of Page

Iridum
New Pal

USA
8 Posts

Posted - 02/09/2004 :  12:01:48 AM  Show Profile Send Iridum a Private Message
If the island is tropical, I would like several hundred pounds of fine China hemp fiber. I would use my knitting needles (size 2 & 14inches long and made from stainless steel) as spindles and make the size yarn I wanted for what I wanted to make and to knit with until I made some primitive needles from found materials on the island. A set of Walker's Treasury of Knitting patterns would be my choice of reading material.
The hemp is impervious to salt water, and can be spun fine enough for evening wear, and coarser for jean weight or tent weight.

If the island is a frigid climate, I want the fiber to be qiviut. The undercoat is 8 times warmer than wool and wonderful to the touch.
The fiber with only the coarsest guard hairs removed would be nice for other uses. The needles and reading material would be the same as above.

My needs would be simple. (I would also like an extra pot to dye in with local materials)

Iridum (Latin for Rainbow)
Go to Top of Page

unorthodox
Chatty Knitter

129 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2004 :  3:05:29 PM  Show Profile Send unorthodox a Private Message
COOL, CAROL, in redmond no less!

i just purchased knitter's stash & LOVE IT! i can't imagine any of the patterns i wouldn't want to try BUT i bought the book BECAUSE of the washcloth patterns. i know, i know...buy a book for the WASHCLOTHES?! but, they are lovely and i get to use up my linen yarn.

so, i would have to agree with you on your choice. if nothing else, we would stay very clean with our method of washing. now, how to make handmade soap...

Go to Top of Page

momknits
New Pal

47 Posts

Posted - 03/18/2004 :  07:09:32 AM  Show Profile Send momknits a Private Message
I'd take a big basket of Peace Fleece in many, if not all of their delicious colors, bamboo circulars, all my back issues of Interweave Knits and the new Green Mountain Spinnery book. Throw in some some ice cold Tequiza and I'd be in heaven. This sounds more like a vacation than a desparate situation! Cheryl
Go to Top of Page

Catmom
Warming Up

USA
76 Posts

Posted - 03/18/2004 :  12:29:08 PM  Show Profile Send Catmom a Private Message
What a dastardly idea: you sadist, you!

I have given it some thought and think that if I could have an array of colours I would take Mountain Colours sport weight, size 4 needles and the book by a woman named Budd, I think that outlines a whole lot of patterns in different sizes for various types of sweaters. My first thought was a Barbara Walker pattern book, but then it occurred to me that I'm probably not inventive enough to shape armholes without specific guidance.

Natalie

-- "A fool would know that with tweeds one wears gold, and that with evening clothes one wears platinum."
The Duchess of Windsor

-- "The thing that impresses me most about America is the way parents obey their children."
The Duke of Windsor "
Go to Top of Page

Stormdancernc
New Pal

USA
14 Posts

Posted - 04/04/2004 :  6:12:50 PM  Show Profile Send Stormdancernc a Private Message
If i was on an island.. I would have to have my bamboo
circular needles. Noro Silk Garden yarn. Also if I could
bring my Anne Bishop novels. But I am going to let
sentiment rule me.. and my love for my children. If i could
take them.. then I would truly be happy.

Gretchen

On second thought.. no I wouldn't
Go to Top of Page

blueknitter
New Pal

44 Posts

Posted - 04/20/2004 :  10:37:26 AM  Show Profile Send blueknitter a Private Message
Egads, hard choice. I think I'll pick one of the San Juan islands to get stuck on, unlimited Noro in all the different colorways, and my trusty vintage Boye 16" circs in a size 8. For a book, that's harder. Knitter's Stash, most likely, though Kids Knit would be good, too. Something with a wide variety of projects that I can play with.
Go to Top of Page

Carol in Maine
Chatty Knitter

208 Posts

Posted - 04/21/2004 :  05:40:27 AM  Show Profile Send Carol in Maine a Private Message
Hi, I already live on an island, and it is sort of a desert island, Mt. Desert Island But there is a bridge, and a nice yarn store on the island as well as one just over the bridge and one in the next town. If there were no bridge or yarn store I would want either Elizabeth Zimmerman's "Knitter's Almanac" or Mary Thomas's Knitting book (it's ancient but has everything), a set of long d.p. needles, #5 U.S.(3.75mm), and unlimited Briggs & Little wool. Colors "natural" white, gray and dk brown, plus every shade of red they carry and a navy (dk indigo) blue. I could make socks, hats, sweaters. I could double the wool for bulky, felt it for boots and coats, dye it with plants, or dirt. This is pretty much what I do now; I just pretend there isn't a bridge.

Carol in Maine
Go to Top of Page

Yarnalicious
Chatty Knitter

104 Posts

Posted - 04/25/2004 :  6:51:09 PM  Show Profile Send Yarnalicious a Private Message
Oh Carol! I am jealous of you that you live on Mt. Desert Island! I spent my summers in Maine growing up and all my family lives there now. At least I can go visit whenever I want. I had so many fun times in Acadia and around there. I'm so spoiled by the Oregon winters now though, that I think I would freeze my buns off there!

Shelley
Go to Top of Page

babyprep
Chatty Knitter

USA
213 Posts

Posted - 05/01/2004 :  01:30:04 AM  Show Profile  Visit babyprep's Homepage Send babyprep a Private Message
I would want to bring as much mercerized cotton yarn I could get my hands on... Lots of practice living in Florida, so the island should be noooooo problem!!!! LOL!

Teresa in sunny Florida
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 1.09 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?