Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: A true British yarn from Erika Knight
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Yarn Talk
 Seeking Advice about Yarns
 Manos del Uruguay
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

joym624
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
483 Posts

Posted - 12/29/2005 :  07:42:35 AM  Show Profile Send joym624 a Private Message
I have a bunch of skeins in my stash but can't remember what project I had in mind when I bought them. For those who have used it, what projects have you made with it and how did you like working with it?

Thanks!
Joy

frenetic@charter.net
Permanent Resident

1386 Posts

Posted - 12/29/2005 :  07:45:07 AM  Show Profile Send frenetic@charter.net a Private Message
Lady Eleanor stole from Scarf Style takes 8 skeins. I made fingerless gloves which takes 1 skein, but I ended up using 1 1/2 skeins. I forgot which book the pattern was in--Alter Knits? Also, Last Minute Gifts has a scarf with Kid Silk Haze that uses 2 skeins of each yarn, and a hat that uses 1 skein.
Sharon
Go to Top of Page

carols
Permanent Resident

USA
1681 Posts

Posted - 12/29/2005 :  07:52:50 AM  Show Profile Send carols a Private Message
There's a pattern for an afghan called the Four Seasons throw. I've started mine but keep abandoning it because... it's a throw!
I've also seen the Wallaby made in it and it looked great. Design Source has a leaflet of scarf patterns that are quite nice using Manos, and Jil Eaton's later pattern books use it too. There's a cool bit of information about Manos along with project ideas at http://www.rosiesyarncellar.com -- you have to click on Shopping, then Yarn Stash (on the left menu), then Manos (right-hand column, under yarns by brand). You will see another menu with ideas for afghans, sweaters, etc. Including my free Knitty vest pattern for a man's vest. (I'm blushing.)
Carol S. (in the interests of full disclosure, I work at Rosie's)
Go to Top of Page

amandaCO
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
530 Posts

Posted - 12/29/2005 :  08:52:35 AM  Show Profile Send amandaCO a Private Message
It felts up really well. I've made tons of different purses and bags with it.
Go to Top of Page

boboknits
Chatty Knitter

USA
206 Posts

Posted - 12/29/2005 :  09:21:09 AM  Show Profile  Visit boboknits's Homepage Send boboknits a Private Message

I made My So-Called Scarf
http://www.sheepinthecity.prettyposies.com/archives/000079.html
using two skeins of Eclipse Multi. I just love it. In fact, I'm wearing it right now.

Beth
Go to Top of Page

Yarnalicious
Chatty Knitter

104 Posts

Posted - 12/29/2005 :  10:17:42 AM  Show Profile Send Yarnalicious a Private Message
I'm making the Four Seasons throw now. It is a good between-projects project.

Shelley
Go to Top of Page

amosellie
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
433 Posts

Posted - 12/29/2005 :  10:21:07 AM  Show Profile  Visit amosellie's Homepage Send amosellie a Private Message
I am knitting my third "Pink Lady Bag" with only one skein of Manos each. I got the pattern from kyarns.com. It felts so well and is a great bag. Infact, while with my SIL's over the holiday, they asked me to make them each one. It only takes a day and you are done. Pick a good looking button and you are an artist! I highly recommend it!!!
Go to Top of Page

renee_knits
Seriously Hooked

702 Posts

Posted - 12/29/2005 :  12:05:43 PM  Show Profile Send renee_knits a Private Message
If you have colors that you can combine, how about a vertically-striped scarf (knitted lengthwise)--stripes without weaving and (somewhat) self-fringing. I was pleasantly surprised at how soft Manos turned out to be when knitted.

Knitting IS real life!
Go to Top of Page

KAMAOR
Chatty Knitter

113 Posts

Posted - 12/29/2005 :  4:24:47 PM  Show Profile Send KAMAOR a Private Message
I've used it for making my Lucy Bags it felts great! I have taken a skein of the varigated and a matching solid and used it with a skein of Lambs Pride worsted for the base and first 25 rows of the small bag with the #8 needles. Then I use the varigated for the middle rows and end with the last 12 or so rows and handles out of the solid. The 2 brands felt well together and quick too.
Karen
Go to Top of Page

WendyB
Permanent Resident

3262 Posts

Posted - 12/30/2005 :  01:11:32 AM  Show Profile Send WendyB a Private Message
Joy, I'm so glad you asked the question I was planning on asking, since I got a bunch of Manos recently. I've already made one fingerless glove, and will finish the other soon. The rest I may use to do what Karen suggests, since I have the Lucy Bag pattern and some matching Lamb's Pride (no solid Manos, though, but that doesn't matter).

I couldn't find the Pink Lady Bag pattern by itself at www.kyarns.com. I just found it as part of a kit.

WendyB
Knit to your heart's delight.
Go to Top of Page

joym624
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
483 Posts

Posted - 12/30/2005 :  07:41:15 AM  Show Profile Send joym624 a Private Message
Wow! such terrific suggestions! I just counted and I have 6 skeins, not enough to make Lady Eleanor but I'd rather use all, or almost all the skeins at one time. 6 skeins is probably not enough for a sweater, right? A vest may work? a shawl possibly? I'd prefer not to felt it as I like using the cascade 220 or woolpak for felting. This seems too pretty to felt.

Joy

Joy
Go to Top of Page

gulf knitter
Seriously Hooked

USA
737 Posts

Posted - 12/30/2005 :  1:14:34 PM  Show Profile  Visit gulf knitter's Homepage Send gulf knitter a Private Message
A Manos sweater I made for my sister a couple of years back was prone to pill. She still wore it for more than a year, but this fall we had to felt it, cut it up, and sew it into a bag (I would digress if I described the pathos of two non sew-ers hyped up on caffeine and sugar trying to put more thread on the bobbin -- bobbin? what's a bobbin?). Still love Manos, but think it is best reserved for projects without sleeves, since it is the occasional rubbing of the sleeve against the body of the sweater that creates the majority of pills.
Go to Top of Page

procrastiknitter
Permanent Resident

Canada
1415 Posts

Posted - 12/30/2005 :  5:19:33 PM  Show Profile Send procrastiknitter a Private Message
I just started the scarf from sheepinthecity mentioned above and the texture is gorgeous. It definitely makes good use of the yarn's qualities. I am, despite being a loose knitter, using a size 13 needle instead of the size 11 mentioned.If I had a larger needle, I would consider going up further as the fabric is quite dense.If I had six hanks, I would definitely make a wrap out of that stitch pattern. I am using colour 107,btw.

What would chairs look like if our knees bent the other way?
Go to Top of Page

JeanneL
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
394 Posts

Posted - 12/31/2005 :  04:46:28 AM  Show Profile  Visit JeanneL's Homepage Send JeanneL a Private Message
I bought this to make a Landscape shawl (Fibertrends) - saw it at my LYS and loved it - I think it takes about 6 skeins. Haven't started it, but its next on the list once I finish my current projects.

Jeanne
Go to Top of Page

joym624
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
483 Posts

Posted - 12/31/2005 :  06:42:39 AM  Show Profile Send joym624 a Private Message
Jeanne, I made the landscape shawl out of Lorna's Laces. It is a really fun project and you will enjoy all the changes in stitches. I made mine MUCH smaller than the picture. That's a good idea to make it out of the Manos. I bet it has a totally different look. The other shawl I thought about was the Tasha Tudor shawl. Do you know that one?

Joy
Go to Top of Page

JeanneL
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
394 Posts

Posted - 12/31/2005 :  08:53:14 AM  Show Profile  Visit JeanneL's Homepage Send JeanneL a Private Message
Joy - that shawl would be beautiful in Manos - I can see it in one of the varigated colors. Are you going to do it?

Jeanne
Go to Top of Page

joym624
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
483 Posts

Posted - 12/31/2005 :  09:31:36 AM  Show Profile Send joym624 a Private Message
Hi Jeanne,
It's a really good idea. I've got to finish my husband's cardigan first and then a mohairy cardigan for myself that I started before dropping everything to knit for the holidays. Sounds like I'm in the same boat as you. What are your current projects?

Joy
Go to Top of Page

JeanneL
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
394 Posts

Posted - 12/31/2005 :  7:28:33 PM  Show Profile  Visit JeanneL's Homepage Send JeanneL a Private Message
Don't ask! I have a sweater for DH started, one for me, afghan for my son, a shawl and three pairs of socks. I really need to learn how to finish things before I get caught up in a new yarn and cast on!

Jeanne
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.75 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?