Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Always know how much yarn you need
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Reader's Corner
 Knitting Magazines
 How do you store yours?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

eggshel344
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
391 Posts

Posted - 12/10/2005 :  08:06:47 AM  Show Profile  Visit eggshel344's Homepage  Send eggshel344 a Yahoo! Message Send eggshel344 a Private Message
My knitting mags have started to accumulate and I am starting to wonder what the best way to keep them is...

Ideally, I would be able to store them in a way where I could locate patterns and articals quickly (not like I currenly have any idea of what's where, but that would be part of the system)

I have thought about cutting them up and cataloging the articles and patterns accordingly in binders, but that just sounds 1. criminal 2. like a pain in the a$$ 3. like I would destroy everything, 4. well you get the point....

Then I thought of putting them whole in binders, but I know better than to try to hole-punch a magazine...

now I am just out of ideas,,, so any and all would be welcome!

Thanks!
Samantha

"Failure is only an opportunity to begin agian more intellegently."
When Henry Ford said that I doubt he had knitting in mind, but if the sweater fits...

RobA
Permanent Resident

2373 Posts

Posted - 12/10/2005 :  08:32:05 AM  Show Profile  Visit RobA's Homepage Send RobA a Private Message
I use cardboard magazine file boxes. My favorite place to get them is at Ikea, where they are very cheap, but you can find them at any office supplies place or even at Amazon. Type "magazine files" into the Amazon search box or the Google search box and you'll see what I mean. I also use Post-It notes to flag the articles and patterns I want to be able to find later.

Rob http://roberta.typepad.com/robknits/
Go to Top of Page

Atavistic
Permanent Resident

6604 Posts

Posted - 12/10/2005 :  08:42:52 AM  Show Profile  Visit Atavistic's Homepage Send Atavistic a Private Message
I have them on a bookshelf.

Amanda

"Is that my Not-Mine Sweater? Whoever gets that Not-Mine Sweater is very lucky."
Go to Top of Page

stephcat
Gabber Extraordinaire

510 Posts

Posted - 12/10/2005 :  09:49:03 AM  Show Profile  Visit stephcat's Homepage Send stephcat a Private Message
I have magazine file holders from Ikea, too. Cheapest around, sturdy, look good.

Steph

http://sunsetcats.blogspot.com/
http://www.west-point.org/users/usma1989/46806/
http://aranknittingring.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

eggshel344
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
391 Posts

Posted - 12/10/2005 :  09:53:34 AM  Show Profile  Visit eggshel344's Homepage  Send eggshel344 a Yahoo! Message Send eggshel344 a Private Message
Those sound like a very economical/attractive way to store them, but the real question is how do you keep track of what's where? I guess that's my real debacle....

When Henry Ford said that I doubt he had knitting in mind, but if the sweater fits...
Go to Top of Page

kdavies
Warming Up

USA
60 Posts

Posted - 12/10/2005 :  12:07:40 PM  Show Profile  Visit kdavies's Homepage  Send kdavies a Yahoo! Message Send kdavies a Private Message
I tried cutting out a picture of the item and putting the page number of the pattern on it, then filing it in a binder by subject (sweater, scarf, baby, etc) but that only works if you aren't cutting something else out that you need. I thought about photocopying the pic, but that's kind of a pain, too.

So far, with magazines, I'm just marking the ones I like with a post-it and then searching them all until I find the one I want. Not very efficient.

Kathy
http://homepage.mac.com/kdavies/knittingnoodles.html

The Lord says: "Get ready to be Amazed, for I will do great things; you would not believe them if you were told." Habakkuk 1:5
Go to Top of Page

RobA
Permanent Resident

2373 Posts

Posted - 12/10/2005 :  3:44:16 PM  Show Profile  Visit RobA's Homepage Send RobA a Private Message
Well, my organizational skills are pretty poor, but I do have a scheme for my knitting magazines. I have them grouped together by title (i.e., all the Interweave Knits together, Vogue Knitting together, etc.) I also do NOT keep them in chronological order, but by season -- all the IK winter issues next to each other. Somehow I seem to remember the season of the magazine when I am searching for a pattern. but even so, I go through massive upheavals trying to find a pattern I remember. I am not even interested in indexing all of the patterns I like, but lately I have started keeping a list by gauge of the patterns I intend to make (some day). And the post-its, of course. That way, when I have a yarn I want to use, I can look at my list for patterns in just that gauge. But I have to warn you that most of this did not help yesterday, when I was home during a snow day, and I decided I HAD to start something new and it HAD to be with the cranberry-red Dale Sisik. The makers suggest 5 st/in and of course I had to look through EVERY magazine til I found something I had marked ages ago. The post-its helped. And I now have almost 5" of the back of the new sweater done.

Rob http://roberta.typepad.com/robknits/
Go to Top of Page

pieheart
Permanent Resident

1872 Posts

Posted - 12/10/2005 :  4:37:14 PM  Show Profile Send pieheart a Private Message
RobA I asked this question a while ago. I got several responses like the ones already given here. But I think your system is one that will work for me! I like having a list of patterns by gauge for "some day". That way when the "knit something new" urge strikes I'll have some background info already done. Thank you so much for the idea!

pieheart

"If your toast always lands butter-side down, plan ahead. Butter the
other side instead."

Check out my album:
http://photobucket.com/albums/a80/PieHeart/
Go to Top of Page

caeebe
Chatty Knitter

346 Posts

Posted - 12/11/2005 :  09:19:22 AM  Show Profile Send caeebe a Private Message
I also use the cheap Ikea magazine holders. Who can beat $2 for 5 holders? And they come in cool designs.

For organizing I like the idea of arranging them by season. I list all the magazines I have in an excel spreadsheet of knitting related items. I organize it by date but each brand has its own color. I then type in my favorite articles and patterns for each magazine. I just started this system so I haven't been able to tell if it is useful or not yet. If you have a scanner It might work to scan in your favorite patterns and articles and then organize them. that way you won't butcher your magazines.
Go to Top of Page

Atavistic
Permanent Resident

6604 Posts

Posted - 12/11/2005 :  09:22:22 AM  Show Profile  Visit Atavistic's Homepage Send Atavistic a Private Message
I tend to remember where I've seen designs. I spend so much time studying magazines, and I know how IK and VK layout and photograph their patterns. The only real problem is in my vintage knitting magazines. It's often hard to remember those ones.

Amanda

"Is that my Not-Mine Sweater? Whoever gets that Not-Mine Sweater is very lucky."
Go to Top of Page

stephcat
Gabber Extraordinaire

510 Posts

Posted - 12/12/2005 :  10:30:56 AM  Show Profile  Visit stephcat's Homepage Send stephcat a Private Message
to elaborate....I've gone thru and put post-its on the designs I like.

At some point a good idea would be to create my own index with a picture of the object and various info (yarn used, amt needed etc) and a reference to which mag it was in. And that, of course, would go into my 3 ring binder (as well as staying on my computer!)! (you could either take a digital pic of the photo or see if that particular mag has a viewable index of patterns or google for other people's fo's)

Steph

http://sunsetcats.blogspot.com/
http://www.west-point.org/users/usma1989/46806/
http://aranknittingring.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

ladysmithknitter
Chatty Knitter

152 Posts

Posted - 12/12/2005 :  11:01:58 AM  Show Profile Send ladysmithknitter a Private Message
I also keep mine in cardboard or wood magazine holders.

If I really like a pattern, I scan the photo and save it by naming it the magazine name and issue (ie. Vogue Fall 05 - blue cardigan).

Then I print the photo and put it in a small notebook (purse size) and fill in the important info, yarn amounts (in yards, I rarely use the yarn called for), gauge, needle size and where to find the pattern. This way I can grab my little book and when I'm in the yarn store with some beautiful yarn calling my name I can look thru my book and find a pattern I've already decided I like and get the right yarn and amounts.

Now I need a way to keep track of articles!

Project pictures at:
http://photobucket.com/albums/b338/annemarie246/
Go to Top of Page

eggshel344
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
391 Posts

Posted - 12/12/2005 :  12:49:58 PM  Show Profile  Visit eggshel344's Homepage  Send eggshel344 a Yahoo! Message Send eggshel344 a Private Message
I like the idea of dividing them by season.. that would surely help keep track of at least some stuff :)

Go to Top of Page

azblueskies
Permanent Resident

2393 Posts

Posted - 12/12/2005 :  1:25:14 PM  Show Profile Send azblueskies a Private Message
I like the idea of keeping it in a little book that you can take with you. I can never remember how much yarn I might need for something I've seen. I will have to start carrying a little larger bag though. Lots of times I write things down on a little scrap of paper but we all know how quickly that gets misplaced. Thanks for your idea, annemarie.

I keep all my magazines in cardboard magazine holders with Post Its marking patterns I like and, one of these days, will enter patterns I like on an Excel spreadsheet.
Go to Top of Page

mokey
Permanent Resident

15375 Posts

Posted - 12/12/2005 :  2:29:59 PM  Show Profile Send mokey a Private Message
I keep them in file folders and rip out the index so that I can find what I need. If I haven't used the magazines for anything in about a year I pop them in the reycle bin.

"An injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere." Martin Luther King Jr.
www.femiknits.blog-city.com
Go to Top of Page

MissPooh
Angel

USA
640 Posts

Posted - 12/12/2005 :  2:45:39 PM  Show Profile Send MissPooh a Private Message
You could make up a spreadsheet of the patterns you like. That way you could search by category (sweater, scarf, mittens, etc.), yarn type, gauge, or anything else you decide to include.

Mary Lou

"The reward of a thing well done is to have done it." Ralph Waldo Emerson
Go to Top of Page

Marg in Mirror
Permanent Resident

Canada
3205 Posts

Posted - 12/12/2005 :  5:03:46 PM  Show Profile  Visit Marg in Mirror's Homepage  Send Marg in Mirror a Yahoo! Message Send Marg in Mirror a Private Message
I keep mine, too, in cardboard magazine holders -- one for each publication. To mark projects I want to try, I use sticky notes (little ones), on which I write the name of the project, and bookmark the spot. So far, this has worked well!

-- Marg in Calgary

TLWKOTB
http://knitsonthebus.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Yarnni
Permanent Resident

Canada
1021 Posts

Posted - 12/15/2005 :  06:27:51 AM  Show Profile  Visit Yarnni's Homepage Send Yarnni a Private Message
I keep mine in perforated metal magazine holders, also from Ikea. I keep them together by type. So, all VK are together, all IK together and so on. I was lucky enough to be given some older VK magazines and they have their own separate place. I refer to mine all the time and it's like picking up a favorite novel!

Yarnni
www.knitwerx.com
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.62 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.