Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Celebrating Texas fiber producers
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Spinner Central
 Spinning with Spindles
 Very new, Many questions:)
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

craftycrochet
New Pal

6 Posts

Posted - 08/03/2005 :  08:58:51 AM  Show Profile Send craftycrochet a Private Message
Hi,

My name is Sandra and I am from Upstate NY. I have a passion for crocheting and would love to spin my own yarn. I am just looking into it now and have read sooo much info on the net.

I don't really know anyone in my area to teach me me how to spin so I am hoping to learn from books and videos---I think I can do it from what I have read (hopefully!)

My main question is--Is spinning on a spindle a good way to start? What are the pros and cons of spinning wheels and spindles?

I would really love to start out with a spindle for now because of expense---would love any info---I love this forum!
Thanks,
Sandra

Lissa
Permanent Resident

USA
4942 Posts

Posted - 08/03/2005 :  09:20:30 AM  Show Profile  Visit Lissa's Homepage Send Lissa a Private Message
Spinning on a spindle is an excellent way to start (my experience notwithstanding...). In fact, I think that most spinners start with spindles. The main difference between spindle and wheel spinning is volume - you can spin much more yarn much faster on a wheel than on a spindle. Other than that, it's really the same process. Long before there were spinning wheels, the only way people had to make thread was to spindle-spin.

A good site to start with is http://www.joyofhandspinning.com/ . Lots of info about spinning.

Have fun!

Lissa

"Expecting the world to treat you fairly because you are a good person is a little like expecting the bull not to attack you because you are a vegetarian." --Dennis Wholey

Oh, and I now have a blog:http://knittnlissa.typepad.com/knittnlissa/
Go to Top of Page

Valk_scot
Permanent Resident

United Kingdom
1281 Posts

Posted - 08/03/2005 :  09:52:02 AM  Show Profile Send Valk_scot a Private Message
I learned first on a spindle. The chief guru in my spinning group reccommended I do it this way because then I would really understand about drafting and twist before I had to get to get to grips with the wheel mechanism as well.

I thought this was very good advice, especially as she also pointed out that a spindle was a lot cheaper than a wheel! So only once I got to the point of being able to spin (barely) usable yarn on a spindle did I invest in a wheel.

After six months with a wheel, I tried spinning on a spindle again. Amazingly (or not) I was considerably more competent with the spindle as well. So I would suggest a spindle first, just to see if you like it.

Val.

[img]http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/26/26_9_21.gif[/img]
Go to Top of Page

Mike
Seriously Hooked

649 Posts

Posted - 08/03/2005 :  10:49:37 AM  Show Profile  Visit Mike's Homepage Send Mike a Private Message
I started on a home made spindle, a very nice one, a bit on the heavy side though. It was recommended as a good way to start. Only after I was spinning on the spindle did I move on to a wheel. I almost always have my spindle with me and spin when I have a few min. to kill.

There are those that donít do well with a spindle but take right to the wheel with no trouble. After a few months of spindle spinning I ordered a used wheel and was spinning on it within minutes of setting it up.

Mike
Go to Top of Page

craftycrochet
New Pal

6 Posts

Posted - 08/03/2005 :  12:18:36 PM  Show Profile Send craftycrochet a Private Message
WOW!! These are some fast responses! Thank you so much for everyone's input--I really do appreciate it[blush]

I think I will start out with a spindle, it sounds like an affordable way to get the idea of spinning. Then, if and when I can do that well, I may move onto a wheel.

I'm sure I will be checking in with you all again and again--lol--this is a great place to pick up some tips and tricks!
Thanks again everyone,
Sandra
Go to Top of Page

RoseByAny
Permanent Resident

USA
12598 Posts

Posted - 08/03/2005 :  12:23:07 PM  Show Profile  Visit RoseByAny's Homepage Send RoseByAny a Private Message
Where in upstate NY are you? I lived in Jamestown for a while when I worked at a radio station there. I'm not there anymore, but you might find a member here who is close enough to teach you.

There are also resources online (and of course here!) and books and videos that might help you as well!

"Choose your friends by their character and your socks by their color. Choosing your socks by their character makes no sense, and choosing your friends by their color is unthinkable."
http://RoseByAny.BlogSpot.Com
Go to Top of Page

craftycrochet
New Pal

6 Posts

Posted - 08/03/2005 :  12:44:55 PM  Show Profile Send craftycrochet a Private Message
I live in a small town south of Syracuse, NY. There is one lady in my area that has spun in the past. I'm not sure if she does anymore--I called her and left a message and I haven't heard back--still waiting. Hopefully that will work out--if not I guess I go it on my own--lol

We live in such a small town in the country that it is quite a drive to get to a "city"! So, I was trying to avoid alot of traveling to learn--I also have 2 kids in school--so I'm limited.

But, if I can't find a teacher, I'll have to rely on all the nice people I meet in the forums
Sandra
Go to Top of Page

llamafiber4
Chatty Knitter

USA
110 Posts

Posted - 08/03/2005 :  4:26:24 PM  Show Profile Send llamafiber4 a Private Message
Hi Sandra, I also first learned on a spindle and taught myself actually I bought one on ebay and my only regret was (and I didn't know it then) that it was a bottom whorl, but I did learn and sortly after that I took a class on spinning that taught drop spindle first then the wheel. You'll love it go ahead and learn...

Debbie
Go to Top of Page

Momma78239
Permanent Resident

USA
4859 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2005 :  2:47:01 PM  Show Profile  Visit Momma78239's Homepage  Send Momma78239 a Yahoo! Message Send Momma78239 a Private Message
I only spin on a spindle, because I won't be able to afford a wheel until the teenaged walking refrigerator stops eating me out of house and home.

I love it, and find it eminently satisfying! I truly don't miss having a wheel at all!

-Wendy
Did you know God was a knitter?
"For you created my inmost being; you knit me together in my mother's womb." Psalm 139:13

[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v632/Momma78239/StripyFixationribbedsocks.jpg[/IMG]
Oh, no, I'm blogging now! Click to see it!
Go to Top of Page

craftycrochet
New Pal

6 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2005 :  4:49:32 PM  Show Profile Send craftycrochet a Private Message
LOL---I have an "almost" teenager and it is hard enough to keep food in the house, I can't imagine what it will be like in a few more years!

That is great to know that I do not need a wheel to start--I'm so excited. I thought maybe I would have to wait a while and save, save, save

I have ordered my spindle kit and am awaiting it's arrival. (impatiently I must say--lol) I am also picking up my first English angora this weekend--so I couldn't be happier!

Take care everyone,
Sandra
Go to Top of Page

Mike
Seriously Hooked

649 Posts

Posted - 08/05/2005 :  03:41:38 AM  Show Profile  Visit Mike's Homepage Send Mike a Private Message
The bunny or the fiber? Donít be discouraged if you run into a little trouble when you first start. There are a few people that take right to it but others, myself included, have to wrestle with it for a time before it all falls together.

Keep in mind that if its hard and tight and drafting is tough there is too much twist in the drafting area, if it is loose and falling apart there is not enough twist in the yarn.

Mike
Go to Top of Page

Momma78239
Permanent Resident

USA
4859 Posts

Posted - 08/05/2005 :  5:42:39 PM  Show Profile  Visit Momma78239's Homepage  Send Momma78239 a Yahoo! Message Send Momma78239 a Private Message
And remember the beginner's biggest problem is the "deathgrip" on the fiber. If you want to get a head start before your spindle arrives, you can try spinning on a hook for a while. This will make spindling much easier.

To do, just get a hooked stick of some kind. A crochet hook works great, or you can bend a hook in a piece of coat hanger. Catch a bit of fiber in it, roll it, and try to stretch the fiber out. You can use wool batting from the sewing/quilting shop.

-Wendy
"For you created my inmost being; you knit me together in my mother's womb." Psalm 139:13

[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v632/Momma78239/StripyFixationribbedsocks.jpg[/IMG]
Go to Top of Page

craftycrochet
New Pal

6 Posts

Posted - 08/07/2005 :  1:45:33 PM  Show Profile Send craftycrochet a Private Message
Hi Again,

I picked up my English Angora bunny this weekend! She is a beauty---gray and 9 weeks old. I have to wait a few months to actually start collecting the wool but am very excited. I'm hoping by the time I can harvest the wool I will know what I'm doing:)

I got my spindle kit and am very anxious(and a little nervous) to start. I have to read through the book that came with it (Spin It!) and hopefully "try" to spin tomorrow!

I am prepared to have patience(i think--lol) because I know I will probably need it. I will let everyone know how I am doing and thanks again for all the advice--I need it!

Sandra
Go to Top of Page

Momma78239
Permanent Resident

USA
4859 Posts

Posted - 08/08/2005 :  11:31:23 AM  Show Profile  Visit Momma78239's Homepage  Send Momma78239 a Yahoo! Message Send Momma78239 a Private Message
Be very loving and accepting of your first yarn. It will be lumpy and bumpy and unique and full of personality. Another thing to notice on that first skein is that the beginning will be much lumpier than the end - very beautiful progress!

And cuddle your bunny for me! I'm very jealous, because we can't have a bunny due to the presence of two killer felines in the house.

-Wendy

Go to Top of Page

craftycrochet
New Pal

6 Posts

Posted - 08/09/2005 :  10:05:28 AM  Show Profile Send craftycrochet a Private Message
OK--I did it! I actually spun some yarn yesterday (if that's what you call it--lol). No, really I am quite happy with it for my first time--I'm looking forward to practice, practice, practice!

I am doing the park and spin method right now--I can't imagine drafting fast enough to keep up with the spindle and keep it spinning without having it spin backwards How do you all do that??
Anyway, I need to concentrate on drafting the same amount of fiber all the time and i think I am over-twisting in some areas and not putting enough twist in others. I will keep practicing and let you know how I'm coming along!

Sandra
Go to Top of Page

Lissa
Permanent Resident

USA
4942 Posts

Posted - 08/09/2005 :  11:31:03 AM  Show Profile  Visit Lissa's Homepage Send Lissa a Private Message
Sandra, you're doing exactly what a very new spinner does! Keep working with it.

Lissa

"Expecting the world to treat you fairly because you are a good person is a little like expecting the bull not to attack you because you are a vegetarian." --Dennis Wholey

Oh, and I now have a blog:http://knittnlissa.typepad.com/knittnlissa/
Go to Top of Page

Momma78239
Permanent Resident

USA
4859 Posts

Posted - 08/09/2005 :  12:20:37 PM  Show Profile  Visit Momma78239's Homepage  Send Momma78239 a Yahoo! Message Send Momma78239 a Private Message
And even experienced spinners sometimes park and draft if they have a troublesome fiber, or hit a trouble spot.

-Wendy

Go to Top of Page

Mike
Seriously Hooked

649 Posts

Posted - 08/10/2005 :  05:37:32 AM  Show Profile  Visit Mike's Homepage Send Mike a Private Message
I still park and draft when I'm adding in a new rolag or roving, just until the fibers lock but its a tool or technique that is useful from time to time.

Mike
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 1.03 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?