Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: An Irish twist on yarn from Black Water Abbey
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Crochet Talk
 Random crochet-related chitchat
 Beginning Babette - lots of organization
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

GFTC
Permanent Resident

USA
6331 Posts

Posted - 06/15/2007 :  7:28:48 PM  Show Profile  Visit GFTC's Homepage Send GFTC a Private Message
For some reason I like to make blankets in the spring and summer so I've decided to crochet a Babette blanket using Koigu from my stash. This thing is a day in preparation, at least!

1. Earlier this week. Find last year's Interweave Crochet with the pattern. I'm lucky enough to have Purl as one of my LYS and they stock it. So, trip to Soho for mag. They had a sample of Babette made up and it was beautiful. Their version was done in a limited color story and looked very decorator-ish. Mine will be more Summer of Love in feeling.

2. Select colors. There are 17 colors and 22 skeins so I had to schlep out the whole stash and start playing with color combinations. That took the whole morning but I did it and I'm happy with the arrangement.

3. Make a swatch of the first 2 rows. OK simple, matches gauge, but after testing my Boye #E/3.5mm hook on 2 different metric sizers I find that it is miscalibrated and is really a #D/3.25mm. Make a few calls and find store with non-Boye hooks. Journey to West Side to Knitty City and buy an Addi and a Clover in correct size. It still matches gauge but looks fuller and better. End of afternoon.

4. Decide to wash 3 black skeins before winding. OMG, so much extra dye ran off! So I washed all the dark and really bright colors, averting a potential disaster after finishing the blanket because each of them ran like crazy. Everything got a final bath in vinegar. My bathroom is filled with hangers of colorful drying yarn. It actually looks quite interesting.

5. Since the yarn is wet and I can't wind it I have to wait til tomorrow to get started but I think I'm going to like this project a lot. Lately I am so into crocheting that I feel like I'm back in college which was the last time I crocheted obsessively.

There are lots of Babettes all over the internet but I'm wondering if anyone on KR has made one and has any advice or pointers before I get started.

GFTC of NYC

the pictures tell the story
www.flickr.com/photos/gftc_knits/

flutebabe
Seriously Hooked

968 Posts

Posted - 06/16/2007 :  07:27:41 AM  Show Profile Send flutebabe a Private Message
Thanks for that post, GFTC. I was wondering why my first Babette square looked kind of odd. I am using a Boye hook. I had no idea it was "off."
I'm using Pallette from KP and ordered some of the brighter colors of Koigu. I'm hoping it'll still look okay.
And, I am obviously an idiot because, as a beginner, it took me 5 tries to understand what the pattern was telling me. I kept trying to Bend It To My Will, without success. I think I have it figured out now. Blonde moment....
Go to Top of Page

GFTC
Permanent Resident

USA
6331 Posts

Posted - 06/16/2007 :  10:31:30 AM  Show Profile  Visit GFTC's Homepage Send GFTC a Private Message
One of the people on Flickr noticed that the Boye hooks are shaped differently than the Bates hooks but that doesn't seem to be much of a problem in working with it but I was shocked about the size. If you are going to buy a new hook see if you can find the Addi with the handle. It's perfect. Also the Clover in the gold color is the right size so I assume the Clover with the soft handle will be the right size as well.

I ended up washing all the Koigu and I am really happy. Some of the colors really came to life and I realized that a lot of the skeins had been bought on sale so who knows how dusty they had become in the store?

Here's the recipe:
untwist the skein but don't untie it
quick dunk in cool water, add a few drops of Eucalan (sucks the dye right out!) and swish around
rinse in same temp water
another rinse in same temp water with some white vinegar added
one more clear rinse
squeeze out water in a towel and drape over a plastic hanger that has no metal parts

A real PIA for all those skeins but well worth it. The colors are magnificent and the yarn feels like silk.

I know what threw you on the pattern because it initially threw me. At the beginning you're used to joining the chain and crocheting the first row into the center of the circle. Not on Babette......heh, heh, heh.....

GFTC of NYC

Go to Top of Page

lucylocket
Permanent Resident

4172 Posts

Posted - 06/16/2007 :  4:09:06 PM  Show Profile Send lucylocket a Private Message
GFTC - I've just had a look at a few Babettes on the internet - what a lovely blanket. I gather that Koigu is a fairly fine wool - 7 sts to the inch for knitting - that's about 4 ply here. Has anyone made this in DK ?? I prefer to use DK for crochet so just curious really. I look forward to viewing your progress so I hope you are going to post some progress pics as usual Have fun with it! Happy Crocheting and Happy Knitting!

Lucy [IMG]http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q61/loliwoli/catyawn.gif[/IMG]My Blog - Lucy Knits
Go to Top of Page

GFTC
Permanent Resident

USA
6331 Posts

Posted - 06/16/2007 :  4:40:04 PM  Show Profile  Visit GFTC's Homepage Send GFTC a Private Message
Lucy, here's a link to the Babette group on Flickr. You'll notice several discussion topics and some have to do with various yarns that people are using. Also go through the photos - there is some beautiful work by lots of different crocheters as WIPs and FOs.

Koigu is a fingering weight 100% merino that is used for socks, baby things and anything else that calls for that weight. It's a beautiful yarn but the blanket comes out on the small side when you follow the pattern with this yarn. That's why a number of people are using DK and worsted weights. I plan to enlarge mine with a wide border but let me finish the first square before planning the border, LOL!

GFTC of NYC

Go to Top of Page

lucylocket
Permanent Resident

4172 Posts

Posted - 06/16/2007 :  5:19:34 PM  Show Profile Send lucylocket a Private Message
Thanks a lot GFTC - I did see a few pics on Flickr but must read more about it - I have so much DK I want to use up - I'm going to knit some snakes with some of it (I love Zoe Mellor and Kath Dalmenys' snake patterns) and am currently using up some new stash [:00]- stock take sales on here at the moment - to make a few Alan Dart Dickensian Mice. Happy Crocheting and Knitting!

Lucy [IMG]http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q61/loliwoli/catyawn.gif[/IMG]My Blog - Lucy Knits
Go to Top of Page

Greyling
Gabber Extraordinaire

579 Posts

Posted - 06/17/2007 :  9:57:55 PM  Show Profile Send Greyling a Private Message
I'm really showing my ignorance here, so please be kind, but what's a Babette blanket? Is it the yarn you're using, or the pattern?

You mentioned last year's Int. Crochet. Do remember the issue, I don't remember if they had one issue last year, or two?

Thank you!!
Go to Top of Page

GFTC
Permanent Resident

USA
6331 Posts

Posted - 06/18/2007 :  06:27:40 AM  Show Profile  Visit GFTC's Homepage Send GFTC a Private Message
The Babette blanket pattern is found in Spring 2006 Interweave Crochet. The yarn recommended in the pattern is Koigu but there is no reason to limit yourself to that yarn if you prefer something else. It's also the kind of pattern that is good for stash busting or using up yarn leftovers from other projects.

Here are some pictures of Babette that were made by various crocheters: Babette group

GFTC of NYC

Go to Top of Page

carolbeech
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
444 Posts

Posted - 06/18/2007 :  07:20:22 AM  Show Profile  Visit carolbeech's Homepage Send carolbeech a Private Message
I'm sure you have already done this, but you will want to label all your skeins with the letter scheme they use in the pattern (I also wrote it down in case the labels fell off). I used a worsted weight yarn (aurora 8) and just got colors close to the descriptors in the pattern. I think it looks great. I don't make perfect squares, but because of the way the pattern is pieced, it still looks good. Connie

Recent pic on my blog.

www.carolbeech.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

GFTC
Permanent Resident

USA
6331 Posts

Posted - 06/18/2007 :  08:49:35 AM  Show Profile  Visit GFTC's Homepage Send GFTC a Private Message
Carol, your Babette is beautiful! It's so satisfying to finish one of these labor intensive projects, isn't it?

I listed on paper the Letter for each color and then wrote my color name & number next to it and a little snip of the yarn. I used jewelry pricing tags - the little white tags on string - and attached them to each skein with the Letter on one side and the color on the other. As I finish each square I'll attach a stringed tag with its ID Number to use for reference when I assemble the squares.

I'm just about done with the first one, #12-1. I couldn't get much done yesterday because I went to a barbecue and got home much later than I expected. I plan to crochet the larger squares first. I want to make sure the colors actually work the way I envisioned because they will set the tone for the rest of the blanket. I'm excited about this project and right now I've pretty much switched to crochet from knitting.

GFTC of NYC

Go to Top of Page

lucylocket
Permanent Resident

4172 Posts

Posted - 06/19/2007 :  02:56:44 AM  Show Profile Send lucylocket a Private Message
Well I've made a start by ordering the Spring 2006 Interweave Crochet mag back-issue - via my son!! I am in the process of sorting all my DK at the moment so will see how I go. I'll probably not get the mag for a while anyway! Decisions will be made then!! Happy Crocheting and Knitting!

Go to Top of Page

carolbeech
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
444 Posts

Posted - 06/19/2007 :  07:30:22 AM  Show Profile  Visit carolbeech's Homepage Send carolbeech a Private Message
GFTC, I knew you were going to be more organized than me! I'm not even done yet, I put it down and pick it up. My daughters like to play with the squares and usually I make sure they don't go too far, but one night I was working on the blanket and didn't really pay attention - they lost some of my squares along the way. We found all but one little two color one that I did over. So the children have not touched the squares since. I am going in order of the diagram, so you are moving along quickly at first but funny, as you go outward it takes longer and longer to get a section done. Imagine that! I think I may put a fabric backing on it, to cover the wrong side and to make it more durable. Purl Bee had a good tutorial on how to sew fabric to crochet or knitted items. Lucky you, you can go there and ask them yourself!

Lucy, good luck on getting started! Let us know what yarn you decide to use.
Connie

www.carolbeech.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

lucylocket
Permanent Resident

4172 Posts

Posted - 06/19/2007 :  4:33:18 PM  Show Profile Send lucylocket a Private Message
Thanks Connie - your blanket is so lovely and there's a lot of helpful info both on this thread and online - I'll keep you posted!! Happy Crocheting and Knitting!

Go to Top of Page

GFTC
Permanent Resident

USA
6331 Posts

Posted - 06/20/2007 :  09:39:44 AM  Show Profile  Visit GFTC's Homepage Send GFTC a Private Message
I posted a few pictures on my Flickr page. Click below if you are interested in seeing them.
GFTC of NYC

Go to Top of Page

lucylocket
Permanent Resident

4172 Posts

Posted - 06/20/2007 :  9:38:51 PM  Show Profile Send lucylocket a Private Message
Wow GFTC! - what super bright colours you are using - mine are going to be bright too - I have been going through my DK and I don't think I will have to buy any extra wool!! I just want to make sure that I have enough of each colour for the project!! I hope my mag doesn't take too long to get here - especially now I have seen your lovely squares - in the meantime it's back to the mice!! Have fun!! Happy Crocheting and Knitting!

Go to Top of Page

sparkleplenty
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
484 Posts

Posted - 06/21/2007 :  08:07:46 AM  Show Profile Send sparkleplenty a Private Message
I really need to stop looking at all the links in this thread! I'm getting too tempted to make one myself. It's such a lovely pattern. I have too many other things in progress or waiting in the wings!

sparkleplenty

http://sarah.teamradicus.com/art.htm
-------------------
If I have the belief that I can do it, I shall surely acquire the capacity to do it even if I may not have it at the beginning.
~Mahatma Gandhi
Go to Top of Page

lucylocket
Permanent Resident

4172 Posts

Posted - 06/22/2007 :  6:10:02 PM  Show Profile Send lucylocket a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by sparkleplenty

I really need to stop looking at all the links in this thread! I'm getting too tempted to make one myself. It's such a lovely pattern. I have too many other things in progress or waiting in the wings!

sparkleplenty

http://sarah.teamradicus.com/art.htm
-------------------
If I have the belief that I can do it, I shall surely acquire the capacity to do it even if I may not have it at the beginning.
~Mahatma Gandhi

Believe me so have I - but they are all knitting projects [:00] - this one is crochet and it's a while since I made that little pram rug for my granddaughter. I can't resist the temptation !! Happy Crocheting and Knitting!

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.69 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?

line subscribe to Knitter's Reviwe