Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: A new whodunit about a true yarn whisperer
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Knitting Talk
 Stuck on a Pattern
 Desperate for Garterlac Help
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

momo526
Warming Up

70 Posts

Posted - 09/13/2006 :  7:21:04 PM  Show Profile Send momo526 a Private Message
I am desperate. I knit, I frog, I knit, I frog. I can complete the 3 triangles on the bottom, the first 2 squares and the first decreasing triangle. Then trouble!!!! There is one stitch left on the left hand needle. The pattern says to transfer it to the right needle and THEN pick up 7 more stitches to make the first square of the next tier. How on earth do I pick up 7 stitches between that single stitch and the next 8????? I have the tutorial all printed out and I have looked at it and tried everything. Many, many times. I just can not see this. I feel stupid, and would appreciate any help. Thank you. I will be waiting with baited breath, I want to complete this so badly.

Michaelene

bogiebogie
Permanent Resident

USA
1076 Posts

Posted - 09/13/2006 :  7:39:25 PM  Show Profile  Visit bogiebogie's Homepage Send bogiebogie a Private Message
Are you on this step?
http://flickr.com/photos/crafty_cat/205251093/in/set-72157594222116897/
Transfer the rightmost stitch onto the right needle, then pick up and knit 7 sts along the green line.

You might also be interested in this thread.
http://www.knittersreview.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=63591

--JK
http://knitflix.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

millsgrad
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
479 Posts

Posted - 09/13/2006 :  9:17:01 PM  Show Profile  Visit millsgrad's Homepage Send millsgrad a Private Message
oh michaelene, I completely feel your pain! I wish you had posted a picture of what was going on. You are supposed to have 1 stitch left. I did my garterlac on dpns so it was easier for me to see what was going on and to help keep myself from freakin' out! The 7 stitches are picked up along the side of the shape where the next square will start. You're not picking up 7 stitches and then 8 more. You're ONLY picking up 7 to add to the lonely one you already have. Does that make sense??

rhoda

Come see my blog!
http://g-girl-knittingadventures.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

momo526
Warming Up

70 Posts

Posted - 09/13/2006 :  9:51:00 PM  Show Profile Send momo526 a Private Message
I will see if I can explain my problem. I know that I am having trouble here because of gaps in my knitting knowledge, but I just can't figure it out.
Yes, I am at that point where I pick up the 7 stitches. Up till then it all makes sense to me. After I transfer the 1 stitch back to the right hand needle, HOW do I pick up those 7 stitches?I mean, I understand how to pick up stitches. It just does not seem like I can pick up 7 stitches when there is already one on the needle. Which needle do I pick them up with, the right or the left? My needles and work look exactly like the picture in the tutorial at this point. I see where to pick up the stitches. I just cant't figure out how.
Up till now I have been picking up stiches from the ends of rows(does that make sense?) Now it appears I have to pick them up from the middle???? I wish I could see a video of it. I would be able to do it immediately.
Sorry to be so dense here. I am truly appreciative of your help.

Michaelene
Go to Top of Page

bogiebogie
Permanent Resident

USA
1076 Posts

Posted - 09/13/2006 :  10:15:13 PM  Show Profile  Visit bogiebogie's Homepage Send bogiebogie a Private Message
There's a video available that shows how to pick up and knit stitches at KnittingHelp.com. Go to this URL
http://www.knittinghelp.com/knitting/basic_techniques/misc.php and scroll down to where it says, "Picking up Stitches aka Picking up stitches and knitting" and click on the pink/blue camera icon.

Basically you're going to pick up and knit stitches onto your right needle. You can use a crochet hook to help you pull the yarn through--you may find that easier.

--JK
Go to Top of Page

momo526
Warming Up

70 Posts

Posted - 09/14/2006 :  07:01:26 AM  Show Profile Send momo526 a Private Message
I understand the mechanics for how to pick up stitches. So far I have been able to do that just fine. The problem in my understanding has come bcause now there is already a stitch on the needle in front(?) of where I want to pick up 7 more stitches. I could see doing this if I had not already transferred the stitch back to the right hand needle. I am clearly missing something. I just don't get it. If I do what I think I should do, I have to knit the stitches onto another a needle, not the one the stitches are already on. Sigh. I think I am ready to give up.

Michaelene
Go to Top of Page

bogiebogie
Permanent Resident

USA
1076 Posts

Posted - 09/14/2006 :  09:12:20 AM  Show Profile  Visit bogiebogie's Homepage Send bogiebogie a Private Message
Treat the stitch that you transferred to your right needle as if it was the first stitch that you picked up and knit. The working yarn is coming from that stitch correct? Now pick up and knit one stitch on the right side of that green line. You'll have 2 sts on your right needle, and the working yarn will be coming from the stitch you just picked up and knit. Keep doing that until you've picked up and knit 7 stitches. You'll have a total of 8 sts on your right needle.

--JK
Go to Top of Page

millsgrad
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
479 Posts

Posted - 09/14/2006 :  11:08:42 AM  Show Profile  Visit millsgrad's Homepage Send millsgrad a Private Message
I hope bogiebogie has been of help to you! it's too bad we're not all armed with cameras attached to our computers so we can see each other!

rhoda

Come see my blog!
Go to Top of Page

JayhawkKnitter
Seriously Hooked

USA
910 Posts

Posted - 09/14/2006 :  2:32:26 PM  Show Profile  Visit JayhawkKnitter's Homepage Send JayhawkKnitter a Private Message
quote:
If I do what I think I should do, I have to knit the stitches onto another a needle, not the one the stitches are already on.

This is your problem - you're thinking too much (a very common problem, by the way).

Pick up and knit stitches onto the right hand stitches just as if the one just put there isn't there. Like someone else said, you'll end up with a total of 8 stitches on the right hand needle - the one you put there, first, plus the seven more you picked up.

Check out my blog!

http://www.knittinhoney.blog-city.com
Go to Top of Page

momo526
Warming Up

70 Posts

Posted - 09/14/2006 :  9:34:25 PM  Show Profile Send momo526 a Private Message
Oh, Oh!!!! I think I get it. I have to wait till morning to try it again. Too late now and there would surely be more frogging done. I actually thought I understood it earlier but apparently did not becaue I ended up with a twisted mess. But suddenly it seems like it might be clear.
Trying not to think too much, but one more question before sleep overtakes. Once I have picked up the 7 stitches for a total of 8, will all 32 stitches be on one needle or 24 0n one and 8 on the other? Dumb question I know, but.........
Thank you again and again.

Michaelene
Go to Top of Page

bogiebogie
Permanent Resident

USA
1076 Posts

Posted - 09/14/2006 :  9:39:00 PM  Show Profile  Visit bogiebogie's Homepage Send bogiebogie a Private Message
You start with just one stitch on your right needle--it's the one that you moved from the left needle to the right needle. Then you pick up and knit 7 sts onto your right needle, giving you a total of 8 sts on the right needle. Take it one step and a time and you should be fine.

--JK
Go to Top of Page

mkfromKansas
Chatty Knitter

339 Posts

Posted - 09/15/2006 :  10:02:15 AM  Show Profile Send mkfromKansas a Private Message
Can I butt in here for a moment? This sounds so much my my earlier Entrelac miseries when you are sitting there with that one stupid stitch on your right needle like a hickey on your nose on prom night. All of the directions above are perfect but may I ask you if you know of a Garterlac diagram showing where to go next? I finished the 3rd row of slanted rectangles on my Entrelac but can't figure where I go next. I really believe your Garterlac is the same thing as my Entrelac. No? Anyway, good luck and garter on.........marilyn
Go to Top of Page

momo526
Warming Up

70 Posts

Posted - 09/15/2006 :  3:59:42 PM  Show Profile Send momo526 a Private Message
YAAAAAAAAAAYYY!!!!!! I did it, I did it!!!!! Thank you so much for all the help,bogiebogie, JayHawkKnitter,and Rhoda. I almost jumped up and down when I saw that it was turning out correctly. I was actually sitting in the parking lot of my sorta LYS, ready to go in crying and ask them to show me. I moved into the passenger seat, took a deep breath and did what I thought was next and Thank You God it was right. All I could think was , "I am weeping over a dishcloth, something I am going to use to scrub lasagna out of the pan. What have I become???" Well, then to celebrate, I went in to the LYS and bought some beautful Reynolds Fusion and a small ball of Takhi colors to make washcloths in this month's Dishcloth Knitalong. LOL! I felt like I had climbed Mt. Everest(well, ok, maybe just a foothill, but it sure felt good).
I was confused by the directions to place the remaining stitch on the right needle and then again by the picture of the 3 sets of 8 and then the single stitch. If I were to write the directions, it would go like this:
You will have one stitch remaining on your left hand needle. Turn. The single stitch will now be on the right hand needle. Pick up 7 more stitches along the green line.
I realize that this is probably not correct pattern talk, but if I ever teach anyone this technique, that is what I will say.
bogie, bogie, your last post is what made me realize that this is what I needed to do.
Marilyn, I hope this helps you too!!! Garterlac was supposed to be my practice for Entrelac. I have been dying to make the beautful Lady Eleanor and now I believe I can.
Marilyn, please let me know if this was your problem too.
I could kiss you all!!! I love Knitter's review. It is helping me to become the kind of knitter I have always wanted to be.
Off to finish gartering!!!!
Humbly,
Michaelene
Go to Top of Page

bogiebogie
Permanent Resident

USA
1076 Posts

Posted - 09/15/2006 :  5:01:25 PM  Show Profile  Visit bogiebogie's Homepage Send bogiebogie a Private Message
Congratulation Michaelene, glad you were able to get going again.

Marilyn, I believe you continue to repeat the 2 tiers of rectangles. What I mean by that is, you knit one row of slanted rectangles--let's call it tier 1, then you knit another row of slanted rectangles--let's call it tier 2. (Somewhere in there, there are probably some increasing and decreasing triangles on the ends of the rows of rectangles, but let's just consider them part of the tiers.)

After tier 2, don't you just repeat the instructions that you followed for tier 1? And then after that, repeat the instructions that you followed for tier 2 and so on and so on until you get to the top triangles?

--JK
Go to Top of Page

mkfromKansas
Chatty Knitter

339 Posts

Posted - 09/16/2006 :  08:02:05 AM  Show Profile Send mkfromKansas a Private Message
Congratulations Michaelene and thank you all for your concern. I believe, Bogie Bogie, that I'll ignore the directions and try to get my guidance from the three tiers I've done. I think I may have a glimmer that what I need to do now is create a contrasting triangle to start another tier. Yes, Michaelene I want to do Lady E also. We all need goals, right? thanx again ladies.
Go to Top of Page

millsgrad
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
479 Posts

Posted - 09/16/2006 :  1:42:39 PM  Show Profile  Visit millsgrad's Homepage Send millsgrad a Private Message
oh michaelene, I'm SO glad you mastered it!!! Sorry I wasn't around here when the light bulb went off. I don't know why it is such a frustrating pattern for some people and others just get it. So now you've gotten it, are you ready to make a second one?? I'm still holding off!

rhoda

Come see my blog!
Go to Top of Page

JayhawkKnitter
Seriously Hooked

USA
910 Posts

Posted - 09/16/2006 :  4:03:03 PM  Show Profile  Visit JayhawkKnitter's Homepage Send JayhawkKnitter a Private Message
You GO, girlfriend!

Check out my blog!

http://www.knittinhoney.blog-city.com
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.64 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by