Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Always know how much yarn you need
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Knitterly Happenings and Events
 Stitches MIDwest...
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

eggshel344
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
391 Posts

Posted - 02/17/2006 :  09:32:54 AM  Show Profile  Visit eggshel344's Homepage  Send eggshel344 a Yahoo! Message Send eggshel344 a Private Message
I know I am a bit premature here, but has anyone gotten any info on this yet? It will be my first one and I am super anxious to go and getting info about it. I have heard classes sell out really fast and want to beat the rush. :) I requested a broucher quite a while ago and haven't recieved one.

Thanks!

*updated blog* http://www.samanthainstitches.blogspot.com/

"Failure is only an opportunity to begin again more intellegently."
When Henry Ford said that I doubt he had knitting in mind, but if the sweater fits...

himimom
New Pal

29 Posts

Posted - 02/23/2006 :  06:58:40 AM  Show Profile Send himimom a Private Message
I requested a brochure quite a while ago too and haven't received it yet.

Carol
Go to Top of Page

kbshee
Permanent Resident

USA
4166 Posts

Posted - 02/23/2006 :  08:00:17 AM  Show Profile Send kbshee a Private Message
Samantha and Carol, you guys will have a blast!

kim in oregon
http://kbshee.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

knitz2
Permanent Resident

USA
1800 Posts

Posted - 02/23/2006 :  4:27:34 PM  Show Profile  Visit knitz2's Homepage Send knitz2 a Private Message
Just back from Stitches West and it was GREAT!!

(although awful crowded!)
Go to Top of Page

zissa
Chatty Knitter

USA
222 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2006 :  12:04:19 PM  Show Profile  Visit zissa's Homepage Send zissa a Private Message
Last year I got my brochure in early or mid-April so I would think it's going to be about the same again. I'm also really looking forward to it.

(Hi Carol! We miss you at GROUP)

www.wordsandwool.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Dottie Mae
Chatty Knitter

USA
155 Posts

Posted - 02/26/2006 :  7:08:02 PM  Show Profile Send Dottie Mae a Private Message
They send out the brochures when they are ready. I badgered them with requests in '04. I was so worried I would not get into the workshops I wanted. When the brochure came, I replied immediately and got into all the sectionals I requested. I still feel sheepish about badgering them. Last year I did not badger and I received a brochure without any requests.
I plan on going this year. I confess to not yet having knit up all of the yarn I bought two summers ago, but by the time the expo comes around, I will have that job done. There are some yarns I can't get any other (simple) way, and there is no substitute for feeling the yarn before you buy.
I wish there would be a gathering spot for all the mambers of the KR forum to meet at this and all conventions. It would be so nice to connect with all the great KR forum members in person. Anybody out there know if this is ever done?
Go to Top of Page

eggshel344
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
391 Posts

Posted - 02/26/2006 :  7:30:14 PM  Show Profile  Visit eggshel344's Homepage  Send eggshel344 a Yahoo! Message Send eggshel344 a Private Message
This will be my first Stitches event so I have no idea of there is a KR meeting spot, but agree it would be nice. Perhaps we could just figure something out?

Dottie, if you don't mind me asking, since you have gone before, how much do you typically budget for it? I can see getting there and not having enough to splurge with and being really disappointed.

Cheers,
Samantha

When Henry Ford said that I doubt he had knitting in mind, but if the sweater fits...
Go to Top of Page

knit_chick
Permanent Resident

1484 Posts

Posted - 02/27/2006 :  10:39:29 PM  Show Profile Send knit_chick a Private Message
When the time comes closer to the event, there is a vendor list posted on the website. A lot of times, the vendors have their own websites, so that can help with getting an idea on what and how much you want to spend. Bring cash if you don't want to see the potentially huge credit card bill at the end of the month.

Don't forget to take into account for parking costs. Last year, the parking garage at the convention center was $11 per day. Carpooling or taking the blue line would be an inexpensive alternative if you have access to it.

http://knitchick.blog-city.com
Go to Top of Page

cathy31
New Pal

USA
3 Posts

Posted - 03/01/2006 :  10:08:13 AM  Show Profile Send cathy31 a Private Message
Where is this being held and when? I'm relatively new to knitting but would love to go to something like this.
Catherine
Go to Top of Page

knit_chick
Permanent Resident

1484 Posts

Posted - 03/01/2006 :  11:03:57 AM  Show Profile Send knit_chick a Private Message
You can sign-up for a brochure at Knitting Universe. It was at the Donald R. Stephens Convention Center in Rosemont last year. I'm assuming it's going to be in the same place. You can see the past events on that site, too.

http://knitchick.blog-city.com
Go to Top of Page

knittherapy
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
375 Posts

Posted - 03/09/2006 :  3:25:09 PM  Show Profile  Send knittherapy a Yahoo! Message Send knittherapy a Private Message
A few of us from my knitting group are talking about going together this year...and possibly even staying overnight. Oohhh, TWO days of Stitches Midwest! The joy!
I haven't taken any classes there yet (this will be my third year), but hope to take a spinning class this year (even though I need to learn to spin like I need a hole in my head)
I, too, would like there to be a desegnated spot to meet-up with KR members.
Samantha...budget?! What does that have to do with buying yarn?!
The more money you bring, the more money you have to spend, I say!
Last year I was very conservative, and spent under $200. I'm saving *now* so I can really splurge this year!

Lori [img]http://www.mothering.com/discussions/images/smilies/knit.gif[/img]

My blog

"I'd rather have three minutes of wonderful than a lifetime of nothing special"
Steel Magnolias
Go to Top of Page

mwedzi
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
515 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2006 :  07:21:19 AM  Show Profile  Visit mwedzi's Homepage Send mwedzi a Private Message
I will definitely be there, since I drive out and past Rosemont often. No way will I be able to afford to take a class. They're expensive! And summer's my brokest time. :-( But I will definitely be there and will put some aside to at least buy yarn.

--nikki in chicago
Go to Top of Page

msgb
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
531 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2006 :  07:49:01 AM  Show Profile Send msgb a Private Message
I would love to go all three days but as I found out last year the parking is not cheap. When it was held in St Charles it was a bit farther to go but parking was free. I guess it is the price you pay for it being more accessible for more people and for more vendors to set up.
Go to Top of Page

iamiknit
New Pal

Canada
35 Posts

Posted - 03/13/2006 :  5:00:14 PM  Show Profile Send iamiknit a Private Message
Hi everyone, I'm another newbie to Stitches but this is THE YEAR. We have a group of 4 that are going to drive over from southern Ontario. We're going to stay for the whole thing and take a workshop everyday. I think I'm driving my husband crazy asking every day if there is anything from Stitches in the mail. I am so looking forward to it, and a 5 day pj party with knitting friends-what could be better?
karen
Go to Top of Page

knitz2
Permanent Resident

USA
1800 Posts

Posted - 03/13/2006 :  5:54:25 PM  Show Profile  Visit knitz2's Homepage Send knitz2 a Private Message
for those of you who are financially challenged .... keep an eye out: if they do the same thing for Stitches Midwest they did at Stitches West, after all the regular (read "expensive") classes filled up, they sent an additional brochure with some less expensive classes in the Market area. and the Market area stuff was all sponsored so yarn was supplied instead of having to bring your own. offhand, I remember a class in Tunisian Crochet, one in beading, hummmmm, guess I need to look for my brochure. these Market classes were either $25 (early registration) or $35 (at the door if space available).
Go to Top of Page

eggshel344
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
391 Posts

Posted - 03/13/2006 :  9:56:22 PM  Show Profile  Visit eggshel344's Homepage  Send eggshel344 a Yahoo! Message Send eggshel344 a Private Message
Thanks for the input Knitz2- that's great advice, how much do the other "expensive" classes tend to cost?

Another cost savings tip could be, as I have heard parking is expensive, could be to park at the Cumberland Ave. "Park and Ride" lot by the Blue Line El stop, which is like $2 for the whole day, and then take the train- another $2 one or two quick stops and walking to the convention center would be less than 10 min. weekend passes or other discount train multi ride passes may even be available via a to chicago area visitors

Go to Top of Page

Dottie Mae
Chatty Knitter

USA
155 Posts

Posted - 03/18/2006 :  3:24:54 PM  Show Profile Send Dottie Mae a Private Message
Eggshell, I brought $150 in cash and blew it all on the first aisle of vendors. Then I hauled out the credit card and blew another $200. Then I got in my car and went to the Michigan Fiber Fest and blew another $50 which was all I had left in my wallet. This year I plan to bring about $300 and leave my credit card at home. I saved up this war chest for 2 years.
For new knitters I recomment taking classes at local shops before you spend the money on the big name teachers at Stitches. Often you can get the same thing cheaper and with more personal attention when you are near a good LYS. I save the Stitches classes for those very specialized classes that no one teaches locally. Now I teach those classes locally.
I save money by bunking with relatives.
I really liked the location in St. Charles, and I dread driving to the Rosemont. That's why I stayed away in '05. I'm glad you warned about the parking fee.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.62 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?

line subscribe to Knitter's Reviwe