Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Revisiting the mitered square
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Things we do Besides Knitting
 Recipe Swap
 Need sweet Potato Recipe
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

KL
Permanent Resident

6041 Posts

Posted - 11/03/2005 :  08:40:20 AM  Show Profile Send KL a Private Message
My DD made the most wonderful Sweet Potato casserole-sans the marshmellows- ever. It had a crumbled brown sugar and pecan topping and I believe there were also chopped pecans in the casserole body itself.
Of course, she has lost it and doesn't remember where she got it.
Do any of you have a really great, unusual one for me to try?
I don't usually serve them as DH is not fond of them, but, this year my new SIL is here from the South, and I'm sure Thanksgiving would not be complete for him without one. Thank you for the help. KL

Renocat
Permanent Resident

1327 Posts

Posted - 11/03/2005 :  08:51:43 AM  Show Profile  Visit Renocat's Homepage Send Renocat a Private Message
I have a sweet potato cranberry recipe that is really good. I am making it for thanksgiving again this year.

The recipe is home and I am at work but if you want it I will post it tonight.

[img]http://www.mothering.com/discussions/images/smilies/knit.gif[/img]
Kim
I have a blog! http://kimsknitpage.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

fmarrs
Guardian angel

USA
9776 Posts

Posted - 11/03/2005 :  08:58:07 AM  Show Profile Send fmarrs a Private Message
This is one of my favorites. I like the corn flakes in the topping.

http://thanksgiving.allrecipes.com/az/SweetPotatoCasserole.asp

Whenever you need a recipe go to www.allrecipes.com click on search, click on ingredient search and then fill in the ingredients you want and the ingredients you don't want. I found dozens of recipes that contained sweet potato, brown sugar and pecans and no marshmallows.

http://www.geocities.com/martian_mischief/
Go to Top of Page

KL
Permanent Resident

6041 Posts

Posted - 11/03/2005 :  09:05:02 AM  Show Profile Send KL a Private Message
Kim- I would love the recipe.
Fran, thanks for the link- it's a good one. KL
Go to Top of Page

Renocat
Permanent Resident

1327 Posts

Posted - 11/03/2005 :  2:54:53 PM  Show Profile  Visit Renocat's Homepage Send Renocat a Private Message
Cranberry Sweet Potato Bake
Preheat oven to 350
2 (15 ounce) cans Sweet Potatos, drained
1 (8 ounce) can crushed pineapple in juice, drained
2 TBS butter, melted
1/4 tsp salt
1/8 tp nutmeg
1 large egg
1 (16 ounce) can whole berry cranberry sauce, divided
Cooking spray

Combine sweat potatos and pineapple in large bowl. Mash, stir in salt, nutmeg and egg

Swirl in 1 cup of cranberry sauce

Put in 1 quart casserole(sprayed with cooking spray) and top with remaining cranberry sauce.

Bake @ 350 for 40 minutes

Can be made in indivudual ramekins, if desired

This is really good, not too sweet and it looks really pretty.

Enjoy!

[img]http://www.mothering.com/discussions/images/smilies/knit.gif[/img]
Kim
I have a blog! http://kimsknitpage.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

gabsmom
Gabber Extraordinaire

380 Posts

Posted - 11/03/2005 :  5:44:53 PM  Show Profile Send gabsmom a Private Message
Here's a recipe I have used for many Thanksgivings. My family doesn't like marshmallow topping, so this is a perfect recipe for us. I usually use only yams (no sweet potatoes). But you can also use half yams and half sweet potatoes if you prefer (1.5 lbs of each).

Yam Galette
6 tablespoons (3/4 stick) butter
1/2 cup (packed) dark brown sugar
1 tablespoon minced fresh ginger
1 tablespoon grated lemon peel
1/2 teaspoon salt

Nonstick vegetable oil spray

3 pounds small slender yams (red-skinned sweet potatoes), peeled, sliced into 1/4-inch-thick rounds
1/4 cup all purpose flour

Lemon wedges

Melt butter in heavy medium saucepan over medium heat. Add brown sugar, ginger, lemon peel and salt; stir until sugar dissolves, about 4 minutes. Keep warm.

Position rack in top third of oven and preheat to 400F. Line 9- to 10-inch-diameter, 13/4-inch-deep ovenproof skillet with foil. Spray foil with nonstick spray. Toss sweet potatoes and yams with flour in large bowl. Add brown sugar mixture; stir to coat potatoes and yams. Arrange sweet potatoes and yams alternately in overlapping circles in prepared skillet. Spoon any remaining brown sugar mixture over potatoes. Press on potatoes to compact. Cover with foil.

Bake potatoes until just tender, about 1 hour. Uncover and press potatoes with metal spatula to compact. Continue baking until potatoes are very tender, pressing on potatoes occasionally, about 30 minutes longer. (Can be made 4 hours ahead. Let stand at room temperature. Rewarm in 400F oven about 30 minutes.) Let stand 10 minutes. Using oven mitts, invert skillet onto platter. Remove skillet. Peel off foil. Replace any pieces of sweet potatoes and yams that may have become dislodged. Cut galette into wedges; serve with lemon wedges.

Serves 6 to 8.
Go to Top of Page

Knit kitty
Permanent Resident

USA
1383 Posts

Posted - 11/03/2005 :  7:00:57 PM  Show Profile Send Knit kitty a Private Message
My MIL's recipe is a pecan-topped one. I modified it slightly to cut down on the sweetness and fat content.

Jean's Sweet Potato Praline Casserole

Topping:
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
1/4 cup flour
3 Tablespoons melted butter
1 cup chopped pecans
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg

Combine in a medium bowl and set aside.

Potatoes:
3 to 4 cups cooked, peeled, mashed (or riced) sweet potatoes
1/4 to 1/2 cup sugar (I use brown)
2 beaten eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/3 cup half-and-half (I use whole milk)
1/2 cup chopped pecans (optional)

Place potatoes in a large bowl. Gently fold in remaining ingredients. Spoon into greased 2 to 3 quart casserole dish. Sprinkle topping over potato layer. Bake at 350 degrees F. for 25 to 30 minutes or until bubbly and slightly toasted. WARNING: This stays HOT for a long time--be careful with that first taste!

OK, now I need to buy some sweet potatoes.....

~Rebecca

"Nothing, why?"
Go to Top of Page

styledbykristin
Gabber Extraordinaire

391 Posts

Posted - 11/03/2005 :  11:37:54 PM  Show Profile  Visit styledbykristin's Homepage Send styledbykristin a Private Message
I love sweet potatoes, and all of the recipes shared here sound delicious.

Dear Gabsmom, Your recipe sounds incredibly delicious! I am going out to the store in the morning to make that dish tomorrow night. I can't wait until Thanksgiving. Thanks for sharing.

FWIW, I usually quarter my sweet potatoes and roast them in the oven until they are nice and browned, tossed with a little extra virgin olive oil, sea salt and freshly ground pepper.

Kristin

www.styledbykristin.com
kristin@styledbykristin.com

Happiness is not having what you want. It is wanting what you have.
Go to Top of Page

mokey
Permanent Resident

15375 Posts

Posted - 11/04/2005 :  01:13:40 AM  Show Profile Send mokey a Private Message
We can't stand sweetb potatoes without some heat. The rare time I make them, I boil them, mash, then add curry or cayenne.

"An injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere." Martin Luther King Jr.
www.femiknits.blog-city.com
Go to Top of Page

KL
Permanent Resident

6041 Posts

Posted - 11/04/2005 :  06:58:01 AM  Show Profile Send KL a Private Message
Thanks all for the recipes. Just what I was looking for. I'm putting every one in the Thanksgiving file.
Now, does anyone have a recipe for my lost scalloped oysters? I tried on Vi's source,[a great one BTW], but nothing came up. TAB, KL
Go to Top of Page

KL
Permanent Resident

6041 Posts

Posted - 11/04/2005 :  07:01:47 AM  Show Profile Send KL a Private Message
Sorry Fran, It was YOUR source; not Vi's. A big oops there. KL
Go to Top of Page

Chayah
Permanent Resident

1926 Posts

Posted - 11/06/2005 :  2:43:14 PM  Show Profile Send Chayah a Private Message
Dear KL, I did a Google search for Recipe for Scalloped Oysters . There are many to choose from, Good luck, Chayah in NY
Go to Top of Page

KysKnitnMom
Permanent Resident

1050 Posts

Posted - 11/09/2005 :  4:41:52 PM  Show Profile  Visit KysKnitnMom's Homepage Send KysKnitnMom a Private Message
Oh my gosh... I'm starving now! I have written all the recipes down and am completely prepared for Thanksgiving. Thanks everyone.

Megann, in sunny San Diego.

What if the hokey pokey really is what it's all about....
Go to Top of Page

KL
Permanent Resident

6041 Posts

Posted - 11/09/2005 :  7:21:49 PM  Show Profile Send KL a Private Message
Thanks Chayah- I did that also. Y ou have to realize that some of us "oldsters" are kind of still in the "DUH" mode when it comes to w]what is available on-line when you take the time to look!KL
Go to Top of Page

Chayah
Permanent Resident

1926 Posts

Posted - 11/10/2005 :  07:09:39 AM  Show Profile Send Chayah a Private Message
KL, I am that way myself, but I have gotten so "addicted" to Googling, I looked up scalloped oysters even though I never tried it for recipes before.As I do not eat shellfish I didn't have a recipe I could share. My son works in a restaurant and shucks oysters daily, but in his restaurant they are served raw. Well, I am rambling, happy cooking, Chayah
Go to Top of Page

Mean Mama
Permanent Resident

USA
1138 Posts

Posted - 11/10/2005 :  08:36:57 AM  Show Profile Send Mean Mama a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by styledbykristin

FWIW, I usually quarter my sweet potatoes and roast them in the oven until they are nice and browned, tossed with a little extra virgin olive oil, sea salt and freshly ground pepper.

That is how I make them for a group too, although for "just us" I simply bake them like white potatoes. While a microwave does the trick, if you have the time to use the oven the inner skin gets all caramalized and good. (In fact, they can drip sugar that burns on the oven floor, so I put them on a piece of foil.) If you have only tried very sweetened recipes for "sweet potatoes" do give this a try sometime! (they are also good done this way on the grill)

-- Mean Mama
Go to Top of Page

holly@heritagerecipes.com
New Pal

6 Posts

Posted - 11/13/2005 :  11:00:53 AM  Show Profile  Visit holly@heritagerecipes.com's Homepage Send holly@heritagerecipes.com a Private Message
There are two heritage sweet potato recipes on my heritage recipe website:
http://heritagerecipes.com/sweet-potatoes-applesauce.htm
http://heritagerecipes.com/sweet_potato_pie.htm

Holly
www.heritagerecipes.com
www.felted-bags.com

Holly
www.felted-bags.com
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly