Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Great last-minute gifts for knitters
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Random Knitting-Related Stuff
 You have too many knitting books when.....
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

kidknits
Chatty Knitter

USA
295 Posts

Posted - 03/26/2006 :  1:35:13 PM  Show Profile  Visit kidknits's Homepage Send kidknits a Private Message
...you hear a crash in the basement and go down to find that the heavy-duty brackets (that you put up last time your shelves collapsed) have pulled out of the wall, and you now have to unload the shelves before more damage is done to the wall, trying to find space to pile up all the books....

I guess this is the knitting gods way of telling me it's time to pare down and winnow through the books.

http://www.kidknits.biz

pieheart
Permanent Resident

1872 Posts

Posted - 03/26/2006 :  2:01:07 PM  Show Profile Send pieheart a Private Message
Nah, I'm thinking bookcases.

pieheart

Remember, today is the tomorrow you worried about yesterday----Dale Carnegie
Check out my album:
http://photobucket.com/albums/a80/PieHeart/
Go to Top of Page

kidknits
Chatty Knitter

USA
295 Posts

Posted - 03/26/2006 :  2:38:05 PM  Show Profile  Visit kidknits's Homepage Send kidknits a Private Message
YES!! Thank you! I read your post and had the brilliant flash that I can put the shelves back up, move yarn (which weighs so much less) on to them, and then use my free-standing shelf units to store the books-----and I can keep all my books!

Go to Top of Page

chris
Permanent Resident

USA
2463 Posts

Posted - 03/26/2006 :  2:39:15 PM  Show Profile Send chris a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by pieheart

Nah, I'm thinking bookcases.

pieheart

Remember, today is the tomorrow you worried about yesterday----Dale Carnegie
Check out my album:
http://photobucket.com/albums/a80/PieHeart/

I'm with pieheart! But got the whole way and get solid wood, not pressboard. It takes longer for the wood to bow from the weight of the books! Ask me how I know!

chris

Keep on knittin', mama, knittin' those blues away!
Go to Top of Page

Tabbico
Seriously Hooked

USA
960 Posts

Posted - 03/26/2006 :  3:17:23 PM  Show Profile Send Tabbico a Private Message
You have too many knitting books when...

YOU CAN???? Next thing you know, you are going to be telling me that I can have too many skeins of yarn. Or too many needles. Or too many projects going at once.

Posh-tosh.

Polly
Go to Top of Page

ozknitter
Permanent Resident

Australia
3291 Posts

Posted - 03/26/2006 :  4:48:00 PM  Show Profile Send ozknitter a Private Message
Hi,

Surely you can never have too many knitting books, magazines, wool, needles - pretty much anything to do with knitting.

I've got magazines from the 20's and 30's that I treasure and still look at.

I would never part with my knitting books.

If we ever had a fire, after saving the family and pets, I would save my books, magazines and wool.

Knit in peace and harmony.

Rose in Melbourne, Australia.
Go to Top of Page

eggshel344
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
391 Posts

Posted - 03/26/2006 :  6:40:42 PM  Show Profile  Visit eggshel344's Homepage  Send eggshel344 a Yahoo! Message Send eggshel344 a Private Message
You can't really have too much knitting anything, just not enough room to put stuff or time to use it- That's why serious knitters should get free big houses and not have to work. That's my philosophy.

*updated blog* http://www.samanthainstitches.blogspot.com/

"Failure is only an opportunity to begin again more intellegently."
When Henry Ford said that I doubt he had knitting in mind, but if the sweater fits...
Go to Top of Page

eclair
Chatty Knitter

New Zealand
320 Posts

Posted - 03/27/2006 :  01:46:08 AM  Show Profile  Visit eclair's Homepage Send eclair a Private Message
I think perhaps you are concentrating your books too much- perhaps distribute them more evenly throughout the house... then you can browse your collection in ANY room, rather than having to visit them in the basement.

I now have books in every room. We found when we put them all together in one room there was no space for furniture.
Go to Top of Page

sandrasingh
Seriously Hooked

USA
740 Posts

Posted - 03/27/2006 :  04:33:29 AM  Show Profile  Visit sandrasingh's Homepage Send sandrasingh a Private Message
Being that I taught for way too many years than I want to admit, before I got into the yarn biz, I must concur, you can never, ever have too many books! Keep on reading and when you're done save em, share em but always get new ones to read!

Sandra Singh
www.sandrasingh.com
sandrasingh@sandrasingh.com
Go to Top of Page

Knitty_Prof
New Pal

USA
30 Posts

Posted - 03/27/2006 :  06:27:47 AM  Show Profile  Visit Knitty_Prof's Homepage Send Knitty_Prof a Private Message
I agree, you can put the books in different rooms and then you have some little pleasures wherever you happen to be sitting. I had my husband build some very sturdy shelves that go from wall to wall and from floor to ceiling in several rooms - they are sturdy wood shelves, all filled with books. We selected a space that was in my home office(upstairs), a space in my weaving/fiber arts studio(just off my kitchen), and a space that is in a sitting room (first floor of the house) where there is no TV, but just a soft couch and chairs, a place for relaxing and being quiet. So I have books in all three rooms to enjoy. It's inviting and I love the way books look in a room. They invite you to linger awhile and to relax and enjoy reading or just looking at the pictures.

I admit that I do have the books in the different rooms - divided into different topics. I have a strong sense of ordering space, so the books are placed together in one room, by topic or genre. It's also that way because I spend a lot of time in my home office writing and doing research for the courses (fine art and poetry) I teach so have to have the work-related books handy so I can use when doing that. The weaving and knitting books are downstairs where I usually weave or knit and I have a little stack in my bedroom by the bed so I can look/read at night or in the mornings as I have time to do.

I love books! I have been weeding out some of my books at my office at the college, in anticipation of retirement. There are books that deal with subjects I no longer teach and I am whittling them down by giving them away. I still have lots more to go through and make decisions about, but it feels good to give them away and know that someone else is getting pleasure from them, too.

We can make art of of anything!
Go to Top of Page

DeAnn
Seriously Hooked

USA
831 Posts

Posted - 03/27/2006 :  07:01:56 AM  Show Profile  Visit DeAnn's Homepage Send DeAnn a Private Message
quote:
That's why serious knitters should get free big houses and not have to work. That's my philosophy.

Amen!

DeAnn
Ms.D's Knitting Knotebook

When the chips are down.....
The Buffalo is empty.
Go to Top of Page

kidknits
Chatty Knitter

USA
295 Posts

Posted - 03/27/2006 :  10:04:08 AM  Show Profile  Visit kidknits's Homepage Send kidknits a Private Message
Problem solved (and I don't really have too many knitting books!): I've moved the books to wooden Ikea bookcases that are bolted to the wall, and put my cones of yarn on the re-hung bracket shelves. Very satisfying, and I didn't have to get rid of anything (and still have room for more books). So, thanks for everyone's input and suggestions!

Go to Top of Page

luv2knit944
Permanent Resident

USA
1789 Posts

Posted - 03/28/2006 :  05:58:41 AM  Show Profile Send luv2knit944 a Private Message
I could never part with my knitting books,magazines,patterns.Nor part with anything to do with knitting no matter what.Even if I lived in a box (which I'm almost there now).I' m very neat and organized,but can't find what I'm looking for sometims and forget what I have and end up with two of the same. I could start a store or library with what I've got already and keep buying anyways.

Pauline
Go to Top of Page

silfert
Chatty Knitter

USA
136 Posts

Posted - 03/28/2006 :  11:08:22 AM  Show Profile  Visit silfert's Homepage Send silfert a Private Message
Right on, eclair! Books everywhere! When we moved to our house, we lined the entire front room with bookcases and made our own library. We also have a case full of music and history books in the next room, and another case in the dining room. Several thousand books, and a vast percentage are on knitting. Donations accepted.
Go to Top of Page

ozknitter
Permanent Resident

Australia
3291 Posts

Posted - 03/28/2006 :  6:24:38 PM  Show Profile Send ozknitter a Private Message
Hi Samantha,

What a brilliant suggestion, I agree wholeheartedly with you.

Knit in peace and harmony.

Rose in Melbourne, Australia
Go to Top of Page

blackramfarm
Warming Up

USA
57 Posts

Posted - 03/28/2006 :  7:06:22 PM  Show Profile Send blackramfarm a Private Message
Well, I was getting ready to unload some of my knitting/spinning/quilting books and old spin off magazines, but now you got me thinking I should maybe hold onto some of my stuff. You know you have too many books when you go to the book shop, buy a new book that looks amazing and then take it home to realize you already own it.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.8 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?

line subscribe to Knitter's Reviwe