Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Always know how much yarn you need
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Knitting on the Web
 Online Shops - Questions and Favorites
 Pay Pal
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

knitabit33
Seriously Hooked

742 Posts

Posted - 12/27/2005 :  2:13:35 PM  Show Profile Send knitabit33 a Private Message
Are there advantages or disadvantages of using Pay Pal versus a visa
or mastercard? I have only used credit cards when I make online purchases. I have heard that PayPal costs vendors more and therefore
some don't like it. Also when you use Pay Pal does the charge hit even if the vendor doesn't have the merchandise or can you specify
"DO NOT charge my account unless you have my order in stock."

When I make a credit card purchase, I always specify DO NOT charge my
card unless you have my order in stock.
Any other pros or cons would be appreciated as I am thinking of setting up a Pay Pal account.

Thanks
Karen

CPAknit
Seriously Hooked

USA
747 Posts

Posted - 12/27/2005 :  3:04:30 PM  Show Profile Send CPAknit a Private Message
I use paypal because of it's convenience- all my shipping info, credit card info is in one place- just click to pay. I don't know about merchandise not being in stock- I mostly use it for ebay purchases. Oh- and you can contribute to KR with paypal also!!!!

Cindy
http://cpaknit.typepad.com/can_a_cpa_be_a_knitter_ca/
Go to Top of Page

Boogie
Permanent Resident

USA
3073 Posts

Posted - 12/27/2005 :  3:09:08 PM  Show Profile  Visit Boogie's Homepage Send Boogie a Private Message
As a vendor - paypal charges approximately the same that my credit card company charges for transactions. To me that doesn't make a difference. Paypal monies can be refunded the same as a credit card can. There are some fees involved either way (at least in my experience).

Really paypal isn't so different from using credit cards.

Many vendors didn't like people using credit cards through paypal because the fee for using credit cards was more than when someone used an echeck or a paypal balance.

If someone has a credit merchant account that charges less fees than paypal I want to know about it. :)

amy
http://theboogerblog.blogspot.com
http://www.spunkyhats.com
Go to Top of Page

gulf knitter
Seriously Hooked

USA
737 Posts

Posted - 12/27/2005 :  6:11:25 PM  Show Profile  Visit gulf knitter's Homepage Send gulf knitter a Private Message
I use paypal whenenver it is offered as a payment option. I like it for several reasons, first is that the money can either be debited directly from my checking account or charged to my credit card, second is that there is no "currency exchange" fee when I make purchases in Cananda or another country. Third, I like not passing my confidential payment information on to whoever.
Go to Top of Page

Bloberry
Chatty Knitter

USA
228 Posts

Posted - 12/27/2005 :  6:18:31 PM  Show Profile Send Bloberry a Private Message
I purchased an item on E-Bay this month and I used PayPal to pay for it. For the first time in the eight years I've been using E-Bay, I ran into a dishonest seller. He didn't send the item, and had his phone disconnected. I applied for a refund via PayPal, and they refunded my money in about two weeks. I couldn't have gotten a refund had I sent a money order or personal check.

I've had nothing but excellent experiences with PayPal.

Jan

Come Visit My Blog! - http://bloberry.typepad.com
Go to Top of Page

knittynoddy
Gabber Extraordinaire

460 Posts

Posted - 12/27/2005 :  6:54:37 PM  Show Profile  Visit knittynoddy's Homepage Send knittynoddy a Private Message
Karen-

As a purchaser, PayPal offers the flexibility of choosing between credit card and debit. Yes, your account is hit immediately, but PayPal has buyer protection and vendor protection. Hopefully you know when you are buying something that is not in stock, and you can negotiate payment with the vendor. Instead of charging you immediately, a vendor can also send you a PayPal invoice when your merchandise is in stock.

As a merchant, like Amy, I would love to know of a merchant credit card account with lower fees than PayPal.

With PayPal, I do not have the setup fee, monthly "service" fee, gateway fee, fraud protection fee on top of transaction fees.

PayPal charges me transaction fees on every transaction, whether credit or eCheck (or PayPal balance I believe), but the fees are on par with what I've seen from merchant accounts and there is a cap on debit fees. It is easy to refund money to buyers with PayPal.

I also like not having to collect people's credit card info myself.

I have used PayPal as a buyer ever since they were first created, and never had any problems.

Evelyn
Knitty Noddy
www.knitty-noddy.com
Go to Top of Page

GFTC
Permanent Resident

USA
6331 Posts

Posted - 12/28/2005 :  03:48:39 AM  Show Profile  Visit GFTC's Homepage Send GFTC a Private Message
I use Paypal when buying on eBay because they have all my info and I just click and it's done. I used to send a check or MO but it took weeks until the seller received it, waited for clearance, and I received the item.

Last summer I sold a few things on eBay that would otherwise have been shoved into the back of a closet. The buyers paid me on Paypal and I never took the money out of the Paypal account. Now when I buy on the internet if the company accepts Paypal I use the money in my Paypal account instead of a credit card. That is really like getting something for nothing since I traded useless (to me) stuff for new things that I want such as yarn, needles, new knittng bag.

I'm down to about $50 left in the account and that is incentive to put some more of my clutter treasure on eBay.

GFTC of NYC
Go to Top of Page

AllisonV
Chatty Knitter

246 Posts

Posted - 12/28/2005 :  12:31:40 PM  Show Profile  Visit AllisonV's Homepage Send AllisonV a Private Message
As a merchant, I agree that Paypal fees are very similar to credit card fees. But the fee structure is very different. As far as the entire charge being made on purchases if only part of the order is available, I cannot say. We only put on the website the yarn that we actually have in stock.
Many of my customers use Paypal; about 10%.

Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it. -Confucius
Blog: www.simplysockyarn.typepad.com
Go to Top of Page

knitabit33
Seriously Hooked

742 Posts

Posted - 12/28/2005 :  2:05:49 PM  Show Profile Send knitabit33 a Private Message
Thanks all for the info. Now to enroll and spend myself into
Knitters Heaven.

Karen

Go to Top of Page

Mom2aej
Warming Up

USA
81 Posts

Posted - 12/28/2005 :  8:01:22 PM  Show Profile Send Mom2aej a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Bloberry

I purchased an item on E-Bay this month and I used PayPal to pay for it. For the first time in the eight years I've been using E-Bay, I ran into a dishonest seller. He didn't send the item, and had his phone disconnected. I applied for a refund via PayPal, and they refunded my money in about two weeks. I couldn't have gotten a refund had I sent a money order or personal check.

I've had nothing but excellent experiences with PayPal.

Just a quick question as I just finished with a dispute. Did you get a complete refund or did they keep $25. The seller I was dealing with disappeared and I won the dispute. But they only refunded me the amount less the "fee" that needs to be gotten from the seller. Now I had used my credit card so I just called them and got the rest of the money refunded by them. I'm not sure what would have happened if I had transferred from my bank account or my pay pal balance. I really never expect to hear from this seller again.

Mom2aej

Just when you get a handle on life... It changes.
Go to Top of Page

twiggyann
Gabber Extraordinaire

427 Posts

Posted - 12/29/2005 :  01:40:41 AM  Show Profile  Visit twiggyann's Homepage Send twiggyann a Private Message
I accept paypal and credit cards outside of paypal on my website. Fees are similar. You can get fees for lower with a higher volume merchant account -- check with your bank. I don't have a high enough volume for that, though.

I also have 2 paypal accounts -- one personal and one for the business. The personal one can't accept credit cards, but there's no fees for cash transactions so I tend to use that when I sell off personal stuff.

Paypal holds my "fun" money and I really like when I can use that instead of dipping into my household funds.

I've never had a dispute against anyone or against me, so I can't answer any of those questions.

Just remember if you do open a paypal account, NEVER EVER click on any links in emails from "paypal". Lots of scam emails supposedly from paypal. If you think the email *may* be legitimate, log into paypal on your own (not through the email links) or forward the message to paypal -- I think it's spoof@paypal.com. Real paypal emails will always address you by your full name, too. They never say "Dear Paypal User"

Lesley

Twig's Knitting Blog
Go to Top of Page

Boogie
Permanent Resident

USA
3073 Posts

Posted - 12/29/2005 :  05:09:27 AM  Show Profile  Visit Boogie's Homepage Send Boogie a Private Message
Mom2aej
It's normal for paypal to keep a fee if they can't get the money from the seller. I have a friend that just went through the same process and he too got all but $25 refunded.

Spoof emails.
Paypal will also NEVER ask you to click on a link in the email. If there is a problem that needs your attention paypal and ebay will ask you to log into your account but won't give you a link to do so, you'll have to go to the website and do that.

amy
http://theboogerblog.blogspot.com
http://www.spunkyhats.com
Go to Top of Page

knittingbaglady
Permanent Resident

USA
1207 Posts

Posted - 12/29/2005 :  05:54:53 AM  Show Profile Send knittingbaglady a Private Message
I'm almost 90% or higher paypal for my bags, and have never had a problem, and I like the fact that they're easy to contact and customer service is good.

Martha.

http://www.greenmountainknittingbags.com/
Go to Top of Page

Bloberry
Chatty Knitter

USA
228 Posts

Posted - 12/29/2005 :  09:46:57 AM  Show Profile Send Bloberry a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Mom2aej
Just a quick question as I just finished with a dispute. Did you get a complete refund or did they keep $25.
Mom2aej

In this case, I got a complete refund. I half-expected them to keep $25.00, but they did not. I was happy about that!

Jan

Come Visit My Blog! - http://bloberry.typepad.com
Go to Top of Page

knitabit33
Seriously Hooked

742 Posts

Posted - 12/29/2005 :  2:06:30 PM  Show Profile Send knitabit33 a Private Message
Just opened my Pay Pal account. Now to do some damage!!!

Karen
Go to Top of Page

terivan
Chatty Knitter

Australia
240 Posts

Posted - 12/29/2005 :  7:44:12 PM  Show Profile Send terivan a Private Message
'Real paypal emails will always address you by your full name, too. They never say "Dear Paypal User"'

I recently received some emails saying that I should pay for the item that I had won. This used my name (where did they get it from ? - email address ???), but I hadn't placed any bids ! ebay said it was spam and to ignore it unless a copy of it was also in MyMessages in my ebay account.

Terry
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.66 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?