Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Celebrating Texas fiber producers
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Dyeing Discussion
 Using Kool-Aid
 Cotton/hemp blend
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

trekcelt
Seriously Hooked

USA
849 Posts

Posted - 09/20/2005 :  7:28:06 PM  Show Profile  Visit trekcelt's Homepage Send trekcelt a Private Message
I have a lot of undyed cotton/hemp blend (45%/55%). I was wondering if anyone knows if this yarn will take Kool-Aidİ. I would like to dye it but I've never dyed anything and I really need some guidance here. Should I even attempt to dye this yarn? TIA.

Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

FO: 11, WIP: 1
trek's blog

"As for me and my house..."

Lissa
Permanent Resident

USA
4942 Posts

Posted - 09/21/2005 :  11:15:13 AM  Show Profile  Visit Lissa's Homepage Send Lissa a Private Message
Koolaid only dyes animal (protien) fibers. It won't dye plant fibers, such as hemp/cotton.

Lissa

During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a
revolutionary act. -- George Orwell

Oh, and I now have a blog:http://knittnlissa.typepad.com/knittnlissa/
Go to Top of Page

jaymeKnits
Permanent Resident

USA
1350 Posts

Posted - 09/21/2005 :  1:07:52 PM  Show Profile  Send jaymeKnits a Yahoo! Message Send jaymeKnits a Private Message
Lissa,

I'm not saying you are wrong and I have absolutely no dying experience but I do know that Koolaid will stain a kids cotton T-shirt so I don't know why it wouldn't dye (puposefully stain) cotton yarn.

Jayme
Go to Top of Page

Lissa
Permanent Resident

USA
4942 Posts

Posted - 09/21/2005 :  6:37:14 PM  Show Profile  Visit Lissa's Homepage Send Lissa a Private Message
Stain and dye are two different things. A stain will fade with each washing, until it eventually becomes a shadow. Dye stays the same color regardless of washing.

Lissa

Go to Top of Page

trekcelt
Seriously Hooked

USA
849 Posts

Posted - 09/22/2005 :  04:54:42 AM  Show Profile  Visit trekcelt's Homepage Send trekcelt a Private Message
So how does one dye a hemp/cotton blend?

Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

FO: 12, WIP: 1
trek's blog

Go to Top of Page

Busyhands
Permanent Resident

USA
1496 Posts

Posted - 09/22/2005 :  07:32:33 AM  Show Profile Send Busyhands a Private Message
With Procion dyes, like for tye-dying...check http://www.dharmatrading.com/ - no affiliation, but they're a great company to deal with and have lots of instructions on their site for all kinds of crafty stuff.
Lin

"Wearing cheerful, multicolored hats is a public service, easy to perform, and of incalculable value." - Anna Zilboorg
[IMG]http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y69/Busyhands/elisaintunnel.jpg[/IMG]
Go to Top of Page

Lissa
Permanent Resident

USA
4942 Posts

Posted - 09/22/2005 :  07:41:27 AM  Show Profile  Visit Lissa's Homepage Send Lissa a Private Message
Procion makes both acid dyes (for animal fibers) and MX dyes. You want the MX dyes for plant fibers, and soda ash as a mordant.

Lissa

Go to Top of Page

trekcelt
Seriously Hooked

USA
849 Posts

Posted - 09/29/2005 :  05:43:13 AM  Show Profile  Visit trekcelt's Homepage Send trekcelt a Private Message
Anyone have a recommendation for how to dye this cotton/hemp blend without me having to layout tons of cash for equipment and such that I will never use again? I just want to dye what I have - not start a home business here.

FO: 12, WIP: 3
trek's blog

Go to Top of Page

Crey
Seriously Hooked

827 Posts

Posted - 09/29/2005 :  05:53:17 AM  Show Profile Send Crey a Private Message
You don't need a lot of stuff - Dharma is a great place to work with and has a "beginner's" area on how to get started - try this: http://www.dharmatrading.com/html/eng/man/guides/tub-dye/dyes.html - Crey

"Water that is too pure has no fish." -Ts'ai Ken T'an
Go to Top of Page

SerMom
Permanent Resident

Canada
6412 Posts

Posted - 10/05/2005 :  11:30:52 AM  Show Profile Send SerMom a Private Message
YOu know, I've been thinking about this. I like the idea of food colouring/KA because it's non-toxic.

If the difference is acid/base, would using baking soda instead of vinegar, with food colouring, work? Hmmm, might be worth a try.

Barbara
It's a feature, not a bug.

Photos:
Blog:

Fran's Site:

Go to Top of Page

trekcelt
Seriously Hooked

USA
849 Posts

Posted - 10/05/2005 :  12:31:02 PM  Show Profile  Visit trekcelt's Homepage Send trekcelt a Private Message
It would depend on the actual chemical reaction that you are trying to make happen. Someone I know said that she once did an onion skin dye many years ago but she no longer remembers how she did it [:((].

I'm thinking about using Rit dye and their bucket method.

FO: 14, WIP: 3
trek's blog

Go to Top of Page

Atavistic
Permanent Resident

6604 Posts

Posted - 10/05/2005 :  12:32:48 PM  Show Profile  Visit Atavistic's Homepage Send Atavistic a Private Message
Onion? Easy, you collect the skins, stick them in cheesecloth, boil in hot water, add wool, continue to boil for a bit, then cover, turn off heat, let sit.

Amanda

"Is that my Not-Mine Sweater? Whoever gets that Not-Mine Sweater is very lucky."
Go to Top of Page

Momma78239
Permanent Resident

USA
4859 Posts

Posted - 10/05/2005 :  3:49:07 PM  Show Profile  Visit Momma78239's Homepage  Send Momma78239 a Yahoo! Message Send Momma78239 a Private Message
If you want a cheaper way to dye vegetable fibers, go straight to Michael's or Hobby Lobby. They have tie-dye kits. You can feel free to toss the rubber bands. They have 3 or 4 bottles, dye powder and soda ash mordant. The dyes are usually magenta, turquoise and yellow, which can be mixed to create whatever colors you want. Right next to the boxed kits, they also have packets of dye powder for less than $2 apiece.

It's inexpensive, needs NO HEAT at all, and can mostly be done in a ziploc bag. I've done tie-dying and yarn dying with children, and since I don't have to heat it, I don't have to worry about using my cooking pots.

-WendyM
And all the women that were wise hearted did spin with their hands, and brought that which they had spun, both of blue, and of purple, and of scarlet, and of fine linen. Exodus 35:25
Go to Top of Page

trekcelt
Seriously Hooked

USA
849 Posts

Posted - 10/05/2005 :  3:56:27 PM  Show Profile  Visit trekcelt's Homepage Send trekcelt a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Momma78239

If you want a cheaper way to dye vegetable fibers, go straight to Michael's or Hobby Lobby. They have tie-dye kits. You can feel free to toss the rubber bands. They have 3 or 4 bottles, dye powder and soda ash mordant. The dyes are usually magenta, turquoise and yellow, which can be mixed to create whatever colors you want. Right next to the boxed kits, they also have packets of dye powder for less than $2 apiece.

It's inexpensive, needs NO HEAT at all, and can mostly be done in a ziploc bag. I've done tie-dying and yarn dying with children, and since I don't have to heat it, I don't have to worry about using my cooking pots.

-WendyM
Aha! Now that's my kind of dyeing. Thanks, Wendy, for the info.

FO: 14, WIP: 3
trek's blog

Go to Top of Page

KS
Seriously Hooked

862 Posts

Posted - 10/05/2005 :  5:37:20 PM  Show Profile Send KS a Private Message
Those tie dye kits are a nice way to get started, but if you're objecting to the procion dyes that have been suggested before, forget them. The tie dye kits are fiber reactive dyes. Procion is a brand of fiber reactive dye.

Fiber reactive dyes are at their riskiest when they are in their powder form. The problem is some people develop allergies to breathing the powder. If you wear a dust mask when you handle the powder & do it outside, the are really very safe. I'm as fussy as it gets about chemicals. Household cleaners that you buy at the grocery store are far more dangerous than these dyes are.

Anyway, what I started to say, is you can get Procion dyes in a liquid form. The problem is they are more expensive & they don't have as long a shelf life.

KS
Go to Top of Page

Momma78239
Permanent Resident

USA
4859 Posts

Posted - 10/05/2005 :  10:07:08 PM  Show Profile  Visit Momma78239's Homepage  Send Momma78239 a Yahoo! Message Send Momma78239 a Private Message
That's pretty much what I was saying. They're a lot safer than people think! Even Kool-aid is dangerous to inhale. Just don't inhale the powder.

My point was that the craft store kits are a cheap way to learn to use fiber-reactive dyes. Then you fall in love with the colors, and you'll never go back to Kool-aid again.

-WendyM
And all the women that were wise hearted did spin with their hands, and brought that which they had spun, both of blue, and of purple, and of scarlet, and of fine linen. Exodus 35:25
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.81 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?

line subscribe to Knitter's Reviwe