Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: An Irish twist on yarn from Black Water Abbey
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Knitting Talk
 Boys Who Knit
 Dilemma!!!
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

hissyknit
Permanent Resident

USA
1349 Posts

Posted - 05/26/2006 :  07:42:46 AM  Show Profile  Visit hissyknit's Homepage Send hissyknit a Private Message
My five year old son is very interested in knitting. In fact, he has his own set of needles and first project. He picked up on it fast but doesn't want anyone outside his home to know he knits. Is the peer pressure on "knitting is a girl's thing" already happening? He's really good and should be proud on how he picked it up. School's out for the summer already. Should I go to his school next year and demonstrate how knitting benefits your coordination or just let him deal with it?

petitemorte
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
423 Posts

Posted - 05/26/2006 :  12:57:09 PM  Show Profile Send petitemorte a Private Message
I say let him deal with it. It's great you got someone so young to pick up the habit. Maybe check out some of the personal sites,blogs or whatever that some of the guys here have or go hunt some out yourself. Once you make sure they are kid friendly enough you can show him some of the other guys there are out there knitting and maybe that will give him some encouragement.
Besides that a few projects more and he'll be wanting to KIP!

Di,the cross country knitter

http://photobucket.com/albums/f348/switchbladeknitter/
Guy walks into a shrink's office wearing nothing but seran wrap. Shrink looks at him and says "Well I can clearly see yer nuts"
Go to Top of Page

Momma78239
Permanent Resident

USA
4859 Posts

Posted - 05/26/2006 :  11:17:33 PM  Show Profile  Visit Momma78239's Homepage  Send Momma78239 a Yahoo! Message Send Momma78239 a Private Message
My policy is to only embarrass my kids when they're doing something I DON'T want them to do. If he wants to be a closet knitter - fine!

-WendyM[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v632/Momma78239/smallspindlepic.gif[/IMG]
And all the women that were wise hearted did spin with their hands, and brought that which they had spun, both of blue, and of purple, and of scarlet, and of fine linen. Exodus 35:25
Go to Top of Page

pjkite
Permanent Resident

1198 Posts

Posted - 05/27/2006 :  05:56:15 AM  Show Profile  Visit pjkite's Homepage  Send pjkite a Yahoo! Message Send pjkite a Private Message
My sons were closet knitters until their junior high days when knitting became popular at their school. Then they wound up being two of the guys whom the other guys hated cause they were always at the center of a group of girls! Since they already knew how to cast on, bind off, increase and decrease, they 'taught' most of the girls how to do the same.

Now they both knit, tat or crochet in public whenever they want. Just give your 5 yo some time. Eventually he'll move into public. He probably just wants to gain some self-confidence in his skills first. Meanwhile, good for him on learning, and for you on teaching him!

Pamela Kite
East Tennessee
http://fiberlife.blogspot.com/

Go to Top of Page

ilustren
Warming Up

Canada
79 Posts

Posted - 05/31/2006 :  5:55:57 PM  Show Profile  Visit ilustren's Homepage Send ilustren a Private Message
I was 11 when I learned how to knit. I got my 'teacher' to teach a friend of mine, and we both showed up at school knitting (in 1978) headbands and wristbands (it was the 70s..geeesh). Soon we had an all male knitting club with 10 members.

Maybe you could see if any of his close peers would be interested in learning too.

A good kids' book: "Boys don't knit!" by Janice Schoop ISBN 0-88961-107-6 The story of a boy who learns from his grandfather that indeed men DO knit.

Charles
Welland, Ontario
Go to Top of Page

Mike
Seriously Hooked

649 Posts

Posted - 06/01/2006 :  05:10:53 AM  Show Profile  Visit Mike's Homepage Send Mike a Private Message
Yeah, let him develop his skills and interest without all the other BS. At some point in the future his finished projects will speak for him. Things with school color or stuff made for friends will tell the story. Meanwhile his eye hand coordination will give him the edge for things like music and tool use.

Mike in Homestead
Go to Top of Page

yarnspeaktome
Chatty Knitter

USA
285 Posts

Posted - 06/02/2006 :  09:21:08 AM  Show Profile  Send yarnspeaktome a Yahoo! Message Send yarnspeaktome a Private Message
I taught my son to knit when he was 6; starting with making pot holders and mug coasters. My husband didn't exactly approve of it (saying that knitting is girlie) but for the most part, he didn't interfere either. I wouldn't let him[**].

My son too was very conscious of his friends and classmates if they found out that he knitted. But I always encouraged him do things well, do it because you like it, and the hell with everyone's else opinions. In truth, kids tease because you're doing something that they can't, and probably wished they could but were afraid to ask. Kids giving admiration is strength, but can easily be interpreted as being mean or bullying.

My son now 9 is currently tutoring the boys and girls in this class to knit. He also like to bring his knitting projects to school to work on during his free period. His action encouraged others to do the same. They all sit in a corner of the classroom together; knitting and chatting away quietly. I repeat "knitting and chatting about the day's events"[:00]. His teacher recently learned to knit and now sits in on their little circle.

Elsie W

Elsie W
Go to Top of Page

Beverly the Bronx Girl
Permanent Resident

USA
1026 Posts

Posted - 06/02/2006 :  09:37:36 AM  Show Profile Send Beverly the Bronx Girl a Private Message
A class in Knitting and/or Crocheting would be a wonderful Home Ec vehicle for both boys and girls. Wish they had it when I went to school. Blessings, Beverly
Go to Top of Page

blwinteler
Permanent Resident

USA
3145 Posts

Posted - 06/02/2006 :  11:39:46 AM  Show Profile  Visit blwinteler's Homepage  Send blwinteler a Yahoo! Message Send blwinteler a Private Message
My son knits and is incredibly proud of it, though he doesn't do it much. He would rather play outside. He is 6. For the next six weeks we will be having a neighbor girl over after school. She is a month younger than him. I have taught her the knit stitch and let her do a few stitches on a washcloth. While she is here, I plan to teach her more. Adam is very excited about this since he will get to help. I have a feeling that her encouragement will get him to knit even more. It got him to ride his bike without training wheels. Amazing what girls can get boys to do, even at such a young age.

Take care!
Brandy

My finished projects

[img]http://members.cox.net/blwinteler/th_TeamVegas2.jpg[/img]
Go to Top of Page

MMario
Permanent Resident

2208 Posts

Posted - 06/02/2006 :  11:50:55 AM  Show Profile Send MMario a Private Message
yes, it is amazing what influence females can have upon males - at any age. I remember getting razzed about cooking while I was in college (we had a kitchenette that was shared by the entire corridor - and I would make communal dinners about once a week in exchange for the leftovers - and the attendees would all chip in for the cost) - until I pointed out to the the other guys that:

a) about 90% of the people I was cooking for were women

and

b) the women also would hang around me OUTSIDE of the dinners to either pick up cooking tips, exchange recipes, etc.

Luckily, most of the other guys couldn't cook worth a dang!

MMario - I don't live in the 21st century - but I play a character who does.
Go to Top of Page

Cat Loving Knitter
New Pal

22 Posts

Posted - 06/17/2006 :  11:45:45 AM  Show Profile Send Cat Loving Knitter a Private Message
I agree with the others, let him knit in private if he wants to. He might just be like me; I would never DREAm of knitting in public until I'm experienced at it.

Meow! >^_^<
Go to Top of Page

KL
Permanent Resident

6041 Posts

Posted - 06/19/2006 :  07:51:28 AM  Show Profile Send KL a Private Message
Let him go for it.

A son of one of my HS friends is on the Olympic Snowboarding Team. He said that when the guys wanted their own knitted team headbands/beanies, etc., the guys all learned how to knit first; and then taught the girls.

My DH is the sewer in the family- I gave it up when I knew he could do it. And he did it better than I. He did all the decor out of parachute silks for his barracks mates tents while on tour of duty in Vietnam. He was the hit of his Helicopter Repair Unit. KL
Go to Top of Page

morandia
Chatty Knitter

250 Posts

Posted - 06/19/2006 :  10:01:40 AM  Show Profile  Visit morandia's Homepage Send morandia a Private Message
I agree on letting him keep his knitting privite if that's what he wants, but why not ask him if he would like you to come demonstrate. Maybe do the "chop sticks" knitting thing with the whole class if he is not too embarassed. Stress that you WON'T mention that he knits to the class. Also, you might try to find a male knitter to accompany you if your son agrees to this. That way the boys see that knitting isn't just a girl thing! Who knows - there could be other closet male knitters in his class and that would give them the courage to come out also...
Go to Top of Page

Mumsy doodles
New Pal

6 Posts

Posted - 06/26/2006 :  10:51:32 PM  Show Profile Send Mumsy doodles a Private Message
My Son is 7 and is learning to knit. My daughters all joined the 4-H knitting club. I hadn't even asked him if he wanted to. I thought he wouldn't be interested (after all, just sitting in one place is a chore). He was very interested and has been working on it. He is making a scarf to put in fair.

Thank you for this site. I have been lurking for a while and have enjoyed reading about you all.
Go to Top of Page

aranworld
New Pal

USA
48 Posts

Posted - 09/19/2006 :  10:57:34 AM  Show Profile  Visit aranworld's Homepage Send aranworld a Private Message
In high school, I mostly knit by myself in my room. I was perfectly fine with that, and am still mostly fine with being a solitary knitter. In college, I started knitting in front of other people more, and enjoyed the attention, but still, I mostly just knit alone or in the presence of my girlfriend.

http://www.aranworld.com/
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.52 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?