Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Always know how much yarn you need
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Knitting Talk
 Sock Forum
 Preferred Needles for Magic Loop?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

kekokat
Seriously Hooked

USA
845 Posts

Posted - 12/23/2005 :  3:27:39 PM  Show Profile Send kekokat a Private Message
Hi,
I'm just teaching myself magic loop today and it seems very straightforward. However, I'm not loving the join of my bamboo needles, nor the plastic curly-cue cable. (I did straighten it) Would I be better off with Addys? I'm leaning that way, but maybe I'm not quite handling the cable the right way. What do you all think? Thanks, Kekokat

Looeez
Chatty Knitter

108 Posts

Posted - 12/23/2005 :  4:42:56 PM  Show Profile Send Looeez a Private Message
I use Inox aluminium circs for magic loop, they are a light grey colour and not the shiny silver ones that they also make. There's a picture here: http://www.theyarnexchange.com/inoxcir.html and I've used Susan Bates circs for magic loop too.
Go to Top of Page

limesally
Chatty Knitter

286 Posts

Posted - 12/23/2005 :  5:37:12 PM  Show Profile  Visit limesally's Homepage Send limesally a Private Message
I really really like Addis for the smooth join and slinky cable - I'm doing some socks on 32 inch size 1's right now.

That said, Addi's are odd sizes - their size 1's are 2.5 mm, and size 2's are 3 mm. If I want to use a different size, 2.25 mm or 2.75 mm, I'll use Inox. Not as smooth as Addi's, but still quite nice. And quite a bit less expensive, which is always a plus.

I've tried Aeros, and though I like the needle portion and the join is fine, the cable is stiffer than both Inox and Addi. So not my fave.

Assimilated by the Blog. Resistance is Futile.
http://forloveandidleness.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

kekokat
Seriously Hooked

USA
845 Posts

Posted - 12/23/2005 :  7:04:51 PM  Show Profile Send kekokat a Private Message
Oh, LimeSally, that's good information for me if I decide to get the Addis.

Thanks for both your inputs. I'm open for more. (o:
Go to Top of Page

LittleMousling
Permanent Resident

USA
1093 Posts

Posted - 12/23/2005 :  9:40:18 PM  Show Profile  Visit LittleMousling's Homepage Send LittleMousling a Private Message
Another vote for Addis. The join is dead smooth, and they're weighty enough that the loop mostly hangs down istead of getting in your way. The cord's extremely flexible, too, which is important.

I own 40" addis in 000, 0, 1, 2, 3, and 4 (to complement a Denise set, which isn't ideal for ML but works well for two-circs), and I adore them all. Other circ brands are dead to me!

-Molly, obsessive but not exclusive socknitter
Stash photos and some FOs
Go to Top of Page

KarenB
Seriously Hooked

750 Posts

Posted - 12/23/2005 :  10:26:04 PM  Show Profile Send KarenB a Private Message
For me, it's ALL about the join, and I've yet to see anything come close to the utterly seamless Addis. Definitely worth the investment.

Karen
My knitting photos: http://photobucket.com/albums/a100/karenknits/
My blog: http://dispatchesfromtheinterior.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

cknits
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
464 Posts

Posted - 12/24/2005 :  05:54:37 AM  Show Profile Send cknits a Private Message
I bought Inox first and hated the join. The thin yarn kept snagging in the join making them miserable to knit with. I went back to the LYS and bought Addis. More $$$ but the Inox were a waste of $ since I couldn't return the unused sets. That said, I love Magic Loop on Addis. The joins are smooth and the knitting flies. Good Luck!

Happy Holidays,
Carrie
Go to Top of Page

azblueskies
Permanent Resident

2393 Posts

Posted - 12/24/2005 :  07:48:23 AM  Show Profile Send azblueskies a Private Message
What length do you use?
Go to Top of Page

limesally
Chatty Knitter

286 Posts

Posted - 12/24/2005 :  11:17:58 AM  Show Profile  Visit limesally's Homepage Send limesally a Private Message
I've been using 32", which is easy to find, and it works well for one sock. I've tried crammming two socks onto it, but it's annoying.

I think 40" would be the ideal size, but 32" is not bad if that's what you have available.

Assimilated by the Blog. Resistance is Futile.
http://forloveandidleness.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

LittleMousling
Permanent Resident

USA
1093 Posts

Posted - 12/24/2005 :  2:26:33 PM  Show Profile  Visit LittleMousling's Homepage Send LittleMousling a Private Message
40", always two socks at once. I can see myself enjoying a 47" needle, though; I'd have trouble with anything shorter than what I've got.

Go to Top of Page

kekokat
Seriously Hooked

USA
845 Posts

Posted - 12/24/2005 :  8:21:56 PM  Show Profile Send kekokat a Private Message
I'm still at the one-at-a-time magic loop sock level. But I can see the two-sock horizon from here. On my new Addi's, of course.
Go to Top of Page

jebrem
Warming Up

60 Posts

Posted - 12/25/2005 :  07:26:12 AM  Show Profile Send jebrem a Private Message
How do you do two socks at once with the magic loop? Can it be done using the two circs method? I just started my very first sock using dpns, but I think the magic loop or two circs would be great if both socks could be done at the same time. How efficient!!
Go to Top of Page

LittleMousling
Permanent Resident

USA
1093 Posts

Posted - 12/25/2005 :  11:18:10 AM  Show Profile  Visit LittleMousling's Homepage Send LittleMousling a Private Message
You can absolutely do two socks on two circs, as well as on Magic Loop.
Here's a link to a (pdf) tutorial on two-socks Magic Loop; a quick Google will get you other tutorials on ML and two circs. :)

www.knitaddicted.com/files/MagicLoop.pdf

Go to Top of Page

kadiddly
Permanent Resident

USA
3076 Posts

Posted - 12/25/2005 :  11:58:50 PM  Show Profile  Visit kadiddly's Homepage  Send kadiddly a Yahoo! Message Send kadiddly a Private Message
I have both Addis and Inox in various sizes, as well as a Susan Bates. I like the Inox the best, but don't like the 40" so much. It tends to be too much of a pain to straighten the cable for some reason. I like the 32" best, but will not trade my others for anything!

~KT (who just finished her first pair - PAIR, and I'm wearing them RIGHT NOW!! - on the Susan Bates 32")

You know, my telepathy would work if I had something to READ!
Backstage Stitches
Go to Top of Page

Janknit
Chatty Knitter

324 Posts

Posted - 12/27/2005 :  12:40:22 PM  Show Profile Send Janknit a Private Message
I have some Addis that have stiffer cables than others. Does anyone know if that problem has been worked out and the cables are back to being more pliable?
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.53 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?

line subscribe to Knitter's Reviwe