Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Always know how much yarn you need
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Knitting as Therapy
 Knitting My Days Away
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

booglass
Permanent Resident

Costa Rica
1987 Posts

Posted - 12/16/2005 :  12:52:40 PM  Show Profile  Visit booglass's Homepage Send booglass a Private Message
So it finally hit me! My hubby and I moved to Central America last month and yesterday was the day that I literally fell apart. I miss my old house, being able to get around on my own, trips to the lys.....I just miss my life. This is exciting and will be wonderful but I am mourning the loss of the life I left behind.

Knitting has been my solace. When I knit I can think about something else or daydream about the places I plan to wear my little creation. And I should add that I have been fortunate enough to meet up with other knitters here.

Bonnie

Check out my blog:
http://www.booglass.typepad.com

minh
Permanent Resident and Destasher Extraordinnaire

USA
3464 Posts

Posted - 12/16/2005 :  1:09:20 PM  Show Profile  Visit minh's Homepage Send minh a Private Message
Bonnie -- you should tell us about how you met these other knitters! Any local techniques that you've learnt?

I think I understanding your nostalgia, I miss Europe sometimes and it gets especially hard during the holidays because there are so many traditions (buche de noel, truffes de Noel) that I miss so I have my parents bring me chocolates and Phildar catalogs. Is there anything you would like? I can send you a little care package if you want me to :)

--Minh
Go to Top of Page

Imknittin
Chatty Knitter

USA
171 Posts

Posted - 12/16/2005 :  1:51:06 PM  Show Profile Send Imknittin a Private Message
Minh...how thoughtful you are!

Angie
Go to Top of Page

booglass
Permanent Resident

Costa Rica
1987 Posts

Posted - 12/18/2005 :  08:59:24 AM  Show Profile  Visit booglass's Homepage Send booglass a Private Message
Aw minh.....you are too sweet. The knitters that I met here are actually using the SnB books and I also saw ""nitting Without Tears." I posted a little bit about the first meet up on my blog. They don't use different techniques but Liz (who is fabulous) taught me how to do a Norwegian purl and is really encourageing me to knit continental.

It is not so much that I miss Arizona, as I feel out of sorts here. I suppose things will improve with time. And minh, I too miss the holidays in Europe. Thank you again for the very kind offer.

bonnie

Check out my blog:
Go to Top of Page

ladyblue
New Pal

6 Posts

Posted - 12/20/2005 :  9:20:22 PM  Show Profile Send ladyblue a Private Message
Booglass......although I didn't move a zillion miles away from all that was familiar, I can so relate to you. I was forced to retire from a career that I loved due to an injury I received in the line of duty. Knitting is my solice, my stress relief, my sanity. It has also opened many doors to new friends and lifted my feelings of isolation since I no longer am surrounded by my former collegues. Yes, knitting is therapy.

Lisa
Go to Top of Page

booglass
Permanent Resident

Costa Rica
1987 Posts

Posted - 12/20/2005 :  9:29:32 PM  Show Profile  Visit booglass's Homepage Send booglass a Private Message
ladyblue - I am so sorry to hear about your injury and resulting retirement. It sounds like you get what I am going through. It can be so strange to be somewhere familiar but feel disconnected. I am glad knitting has helped you too. Strange how when rough times hit knitting really seems to soothe the soul. I wonder why that is?

bonnie

Check out my blog:
Go to Top of Page

kbshee
Permanent Resident

USA
4166 Posts

Posted - 12/21/2005 :  07:42:16 AM  Show Profile Send kbshee a Private Message
Bonnie....this happens to everyone who moves far away from a life they love, doesn't it? Especially at the holidays...I'm sure the traditions in CR are so different than here. When I moved from Boston to Tennessee I thought I landed on another planet. I missed so much of my Boston life, but slowly found things in my new home that helped me craft a new life there. It isn't easy...especially when things are so different. I guess that's why moving homes always is near the top of the 'most stressful things in life' list!

I'm glad knitting helps, and that you've met some new knitters. Costa Rica is such a beautiful and magical place, and I hope it starts to feel like 'home' very soon. Keep knitting, girl!

kim in oregon
http://kbshee.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

booglass
Permanent Resident

Costa Rica
1987 Posts

Posted - 12/21/2005 :  08:15:49 AM  Show Profile  Visit booglass's Homepage Send booglass a Private Message
Thank kbshee. It is interesting b/c I am half Costa Rican and have spent a great deal of time here. I went to school here as a child for some time and spent holidays here before. So the cultural aspect isn't too strange. But now that I live here permanently and it isn't a month long vacation it really has sunk in that I have left my life behind. This is something new.

Currently we are living with my parents and our hosue which was supposed to be ready the 15th is still not done. So it just feels like I will never get to start my life again and I will forever be trapped in limbo with my one knitting project that I brought. Our shipment of household goods is still in transit and it has my yarn stash and books. I miss my yarn stash......is that strange or do other people know what I talking about?

bonnie

Check out my blog:
Go to Top of Page

kbshee
Permanent Resident

USA
4166 Posts

Posted - 12/21/2005 :  08:27:18 AM  Show Profile Send kbshee a Private Message
My stash is in our guest room, and when we have guests I have to pack a little bag of my stash because I miss it so much. So yes. I know what you mean.

kim in oregon
http://kbshee.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

myshelle10
Permanent Resident

USA
2749 Posts

Posted - 12/21/2005 :  09:53:03 AM  Show Profile Send myshelle10 a Private Message
Bonnie-- I haven't done such a drastic move-- but we've moved from the East Coast to the West Coast-- then out to the Pacific-- then back to the West Coast-- more than 3,000 miles every move. It's just *tough* to pick everything up and start over (and over) again. It *does* get better though! You're meeting folks. When you get your house set up, and a space that feels like "home" again, things will vastly improve. And you're already meeting great folks :)

And hopefully there's some continuity here! :)

Myshelle10
Go to Top of Page

booglass
Permanent Resident

Costa Rica
1987 Posts

Posted - 12/21/2005 :  4:00:27 PM  Show Profile  Visit booglass's Homepage Send booglass a Private Message
Well, I must admit that this thread and all the wonderful words of support are really helpful too. Thanks so much!!!

bonnie

Check out my blog:
Go to Top of Page

truly violet
Permanent Resident

6398 Posts

Posted - 12/21/2005 :  4:05:44 PM  Show Profile  Visit truly violet's Homepage Send truly violet a Private Message
not many people like that drastic a change, even if it is for the better....
but time will sooth it
I can relate to being homesick however..
( that is basically what you are...homesick for your old home and life)

all I can tell you is that this too shall pass....
( oh and minh is a little sweetie..... she sent us a cheesecake cause I talk about it all the time....thank you again sweetie)

and also .....
you got us

vi

none of this will matter in 100 years.......
except I will finally be at my goal weight...vi
http://notashyviolet.blogspot.com/ ~now with chickens!
Go to Top of Page

minh
Permanent Resident and Destasher Extraordinnaire

USA
3464 Posts

Posted - 12/21/2005 :  7:30:02 PM  Show Profile  Visit minh's Homepage Send minh a Private Message
vi, the cheesecake was a bribe... (one has to make sure to be on her good side, ya know?)

I've been to the US every summer for a month or two since I was 1 year old but it was really hard for me to decide what to pack when I left France. Which books would I need the most? what CDs? Once you get over the "I'm in a new place" feeling, you get a little nostalgic. Myshelle is right, things definitely get easier once you have a routine, a daily schedule and a place that feels "homey" where you can relax.

As to your stash not being there yet -- doesn't that mean that *technically* you currently have no stash, hence you can go yarn shopping as much as you want??

--Minh
Go to Top of Page

Karknit
Seriously Hooked

USA
711 Posts

Posted - 12/23/2005 :  4:38:10 PM  Show Profile Send Karknit a Private Message
I can understand your pain. I moved from my hometown San Francisco by myself to Seattle and didn't know a soul. I was so homesick and stressed I crocheted (didn't know how to knit at the time) an afghan. Well it turned out to be 100 X 150 and purple by the time I felt like Seattle could be my new home. I don't even like the color purple!!
Then just that fast I moved to New Mexico USA. No afghan this time but plenty of knit socks.
Sometimes change sucks, even if you know its for the best.

Karen

My diet incentive, to knit smaller sweaters.
Go to Top of Page

Kimberling
Warming Up

USA
90 Posts

Posted - 01/06/2006 :  2:14:02 PM  Show Profile Send Kimberling a Private Message
Booglass - how stressful!! I can sympathize with you - I lived in 3 different international locations over a 5 year period - the adjustment, new customs, different shops, new people - it is a very hard time emotionally, physically, and usually - financially. I hope your knitting will help you center and feel calmer - it sounds like it is helping you meet others with your same interests.

I know you miss your life and pray that you will develop an exciting new life in Central America.

Kimberling
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.55 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?