Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: A new whodunit about a true yarn whisperer
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Knitting Talk
 Desert Island Stash
 A hot desert island or cold desert island?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

DukTape
Warming Up

USA
97 Posts

Posted - 09/14/2004 :  9:04:41 PM  Show Profile Send DukTape a Private Message
One yarn! Is it a hot desert island or a cold desert island? It could be important! I guess either way, I'd just pick a nice worsted. I'd take my 29" size 8 circular needle, and The Sweater Workshop.

"I always wanted to be somebody, but I should have been more specific." -- Lily Tomlin

Boogie
Permanent Resident

USA
3073 Posts

Posted - 09/15/2004 :  04:46:34 AM  Show Profile  Visit Boogie's Homepage Send Boogie a Private Message
hot or cold is a good question. I wouldn't want it uncomfortably cold but I'd prefer to knit with wool so if its too hot them that's no fun either.

oh what a hard decision.

amy
http://theboogerblog.blogspot.com
http://www.spunkyhats.com
Go to Top of Page

Jazzycats
New Pal

United Kingdom
27 Posts

Posted - 09/15/2004 :  05:36:15 AM  Show Profile Send Jazzycats a Private Message
I would have to take the black Wensleydale wool that I am currently spinning and knitting. It is the softest, most lovely wool that I have ever spun. A pair of size 8 needles are a must and any double knit cardigan or jumper pattern as I would have plenty of time to alter it!

Sandy.
Go to Top of Page

kbshee
Permanent Resident

USA
4160 Posts

Posted - 09/15/2004 :  06:48:47 AM  Show Profile Send kbshee a Private Message
I really don't have a problem knitting wool in hot weather...so I would take warm over cold I think. Unless there's a lovely cabin with a roaring fire.

I would take some cashmere, any cashmere, and lots and lots of it!

kim in oregon

http://kbshee.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

happyneedles
Seriously Hooked

USA
849 Posts

Posted - 09/15/2004 :  3:25:29 PM  Show Profile Send happyneedles a Private Message
I've never knit with cashmere, must be yummy and addicting! Sue

~Knitting is a gift you give to yourself~
Go to Top of Page

Ruby Plaid
Seriously Hooked

USA
661 Posts

Posted - 10/14/2004 :  07:51:06 AM  Show Profile  Visit Ruby Plaid's Homepage Send Ruby Plaid a Private Message
Ha ha! I'm going to envision a cold desert island. I would bring size 10 1/2 needles and tons of Lamb's Pride chunky wool--85% wool, 15% mohair in the Garnet color, which is more of a red-purple-blackberry color. It's so soft and warm and luxurious!

http://www.geocities.com/hotelcrafty
Go to Top of Page

rorosity@aol.com
Seriously Hooked

696 Posts

Posted - 10/18/2004 :  04:39:18 AM  Show Profile Send rorosity@aol.com a Private Message
Cold Desert Island, as long as I had a roaring fire to knit by. I hate the heat and being out in the sun, so it's not a contest. What would be especially nice is a Robinson Crusoe type home with all the comforts!

Jeannine

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/rorosity/my_photos

Destashing - For Sale:
http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/rorosity/album?.dir=/cb32
Go to Top of Page

kekokat
Seriously Hooked

USA
845 Posts

Posted - 10/20/2004 :  08:08:18 AM  Show Profile Send kekokat a Private Message
Rowan Polar, any needle sized 11 or more, and ton of random sweater patterns. Oh, and the trims and edges book.
Go to Top of Page

ErLeCa
Chatty Knitter

102 Posts

Posted - 10/20/2004 :  08:42:06 AM  Show Profile  Visit ErLeCa's Homepage Send ErLeCa a Private Message
I would take Rowan Kid Classic, send me bunches and bunches of it and I'd be in knitters heaven. A pair of 24" circular needles in size 8. I'd really be happy if those needles were Susanne's Rosewood! Ahhh.... heaven. In terms of patterns, give me a plain pattern with a little shaping that works for that gauge and I would go wild with variations!

I hate to be the practical one here but I think we're forgetting one small thing.... a darning needle! Without it we're all just going to have lovely pieces laying around everywhere! Or I could really become an outdoorswoman and fashion one for myself out of bamboo! (I might need the natives to help me!!!)

ErLeCa

www.skeinstreet.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

Posted - 10/23/2004 :  8:46:19 PM  Show Profile Send n/a a Private Message
You could always knit the seams but you'd need a pair of scissors I guess. My book would have to be Kaffe Fassett's Classics and I reckon heaps of Angora in every colour. Bliss.
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

Posted - 10/23/2004 :  8:47:34 PM  Show Profile Send n/a a Private Message
I forgot about the needles, I reckon a pair of long 6mm would do me nicely.
Go to Top of Page

cathyggill
New Pal

1 Posts

Posted - 10/27/2004 :  5:29:21 PM  Show Profile Send cathyggill a Private Message
There is no question---Aurora 8 by Karabella, and plenty of it! That is really the most wonderful merino superwash!
Go to Top of Page

NaProus
Permanent Resident

1828 Posts

Posted - 11/22/2004 :  5:23:57 PM  Show Profile Send NaProus a Private Message
Don't know about the yarn or the needles, but I'd definitely bring one of the Barbara Walker books with all the FABULOUS stitches/textures, etc. I'm sure I could fake my way through the patterns given enough time...
Go to Top of Page

kelty3r
Chatty Knitter

USA
109 Posts

Posted - 11/22/2004 :  6:00:49 PM  Show Profile Send kelty3r a Private Message
cold island, chunky yarn, big needles, comphy chair, roaring fire, and a bit og egg nog; It'd be like Christmas all the time! mmm....Yummm : )

Miss Saigon rules
Go to Top of Page

DanieleB
New Pal

8 Posts

Posted - 12/30/2004 :  4:03:10 PM  Show Profile Send DanieleB a Private Message
Hmm ... that's so hard. I think probably something very versatile -- a DK-weight ... How about Kashmir? If you're stuck, might as well enjoy it! I'd have to have Ann Budd's Handy Book of Patterns because who knows what I might want to try? I'd want to knit for everyone I was thinking of while waiting to be rescued. As for needles, I've found a size 7 to be pretty reliable for most everything ... but can I cheat and have both the straits *and* the circulars? Might want a pair of warm cashmere socks for those cold desert nights ...
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.86 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?

line subscribe to Knitter's Reviwe