Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Celebrating Texas fiber producers
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Knitting Talk
 Shawls and Scarves
 Just have to hold my breath and........block!
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

GFTC
Permanent Resident

USA
6331 Posts

Posted - 12/20/2005 :  1:52:14 PM  Show Profile  Visit GFTC's Homepage Send GFTC a Private Message
I finished the Highland Triangle Shawl from Folk Shawls and I love it. Of course I have no clue as to where I would ever wear it but I am so pleased to have made it. Does that make me a process knitter?

I used Baabajoes as indicated in the pattern (I've told you before that I can be boring but at least I used Natural instead of the Taupe in the photo) and did not make a swatch since it didn't have to fit. Now I am terrified to block it because every time I hear about Baabajoes it is followed with the words "felts beautifully".

The shawl has 3 lace patterns and definitely needs to be blocked. It does not need to be felted. I guess I'll make a post-production swatch and use ice water.........

GFTC of NYC

truly violet
Permanent Resident

6398 Posts

Posted - 12/20/2005 :  2:11:05 PM  Show Profile  Visit truly violet's Homepage Send truly violet a Private Message
listen you will be fine
it is agitation and temp changes that hurt you
do this...
pin it all out
then spray it down with room temp water
let it dry that way

ok?
no more anxiety?

vi

none of this will matter in 100 years.......
except I will finally be at my goal weight...vi
http://notashyviolet.blogspot.com/ ~now with chickens!
Go to Top of Page

GFTC
Permanent Resident

USA
6331 Posts

Posted - 12/20/2005 :  2:21:36 PM  Show Profile  Visit GFTC's Homepage Send GFTC a Private Message
Couldja come over and do it for me? Agitation is a problem? I'm always agitated.....oh, wait, you mean the shawl....

GFTC of NYC
Go to Top of Page

truly violet
Permanent Resident

6398 Posts

Posted - 12/20/2005 :  2:26:21 PM  Show Profile  Visit truly violet's Homepage Send truly violet a Private Message
smart ass.......

I don't go to the city....

and with the transit strike...you got time to watch wool dry......
( no one in their right mind paints in this weather)

seriously
use rust proof pins..... put an old shower curtain down and some towels over that...
pin it out and then saturate the hell out of it with water
spray it down good....( I would even have said with a sponge but you are afraid to touch it huh?)

let it dry to stiff and your done
I did the shawl for the last competition doll that way... with that knitpicks alpaca cloud
and naturally, as is usual and customary
pictures ARE in order

vi

Go to Top of Page

Kelly B
Permanent Resident

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - 12/20/2005 :  2:31:19 PM  Show Profile Send Kelly B a Private Message
Congratulations! I'll bet it's gorgeous.
No worries... but don't use the ice water. Vi's plan is the best for your blood pressure, but if you ever want to wash it, use Clara's instructions and it'll be fine. You've used alpaca without a second thought, right? I'll bet your alpaca things could felt even better than this wool would. If you've washed them already, you're all set.
Go to Top of Page

GFTC
Permanent Resident

USA
6331 Posts

Posted - 12/20/2005 :  3:18:30 PM  Show Profile  Visit GFTC's Homepage Send GFTC a Private Message
Actually I blocked the FBS which was fingering weight alpaca by dunking it in the sink and then pinning it to a beach towel on my dining room table. It didn't felt. I ended up frogging it some time later and then re-skeined the yarn and dunked it again. No felting at any time, so Kelly, thanks for the reminder.

Vi, I have some kind of blocking kit that I bought because there was a KR thread about it. I buy pretty much anything recommended on a thread with more than 5 posts........

Right now the HT shawl is folded in the closet recovering from the ordeal of being created. I have to go look for the blocking kit wherever I put it. I don't even remember what it looks like.

I am getting cabin fever. I need my SUBWAY!!! (the train, not the sandwich)

GFTC of NYC
Go to Top of Page

truly violet
Permanent Resident

6398 Posts

Posted - 12/20/2005 :  3:42:19 PM  Show Profile  Visit truly violet's Homepage Send truly violet a Private Message
darlink......
biking could be an alternative?
vi

Go to Top of Page

kknitter
Gabber Extraordinaire

407 Posts

Posted - 12/20/2005 :  7:47:37 PM  Show Profile Send kknitter a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by GFTC

I buy pretty much anything recommended on a thread with more than 5 posts........

okay I can SO relate to this quote... [:00]

~KKnitter's Blog
Go to Top of Page

PatriciaG
Chatty Knitter

USA
290 Posts

Posted - 12/21/2005 :  09:16:15 AM  Show Profile Send PatriciaG a Private Message
GFTC,
I blocked the Faina scarf I finished a while back. It was 100% alpaca and boy was I scared. I didn't know which method to use and I was so afraid of the dunking because I heard that Alpaca grows when wet and this scarf was big enough! I got the blocking kit, and followed the directions.

I pinned to the dimensions I wanted, sprayed the scarf with water, then used a steam iron and held it above, NOT on, the yarn and steamed it. It dried for 48 hours and was beautiful. I gave it to my boss the last day of my work and she loved it.

Patricia in West Sac., CA.

"How did I get over the hill without getting up to the top"
Go to Top of Page

klfrazier
Permanent Resident

1745 Posts

Posted - 12/21/2005 :  09:29:09 AM  Show Profile  Visit klfrazier's Homepage Send klfrazier a Private Message
Oh, but blocking lace is the best part! It's just magic when you see the thing stretched out for the first time!

I won't give any other advice, because I don't have anything better to offer, but I will send you my well-wishes. It'll be fine!

Kristin
Go to Top of Page

GFTC
Permanent Resident

USA
6331 Posts

Posted - 12/21/2005 :  1:56:49 PM  Show Profile  Visit GFTC's Homepage Send GFTC a Private Message
You have all given me a lot of confidence for blocking the shawl. I'm going to set aside a time that I can lay it out and leave it for as long as necessary.

GFTC of NYC
Go to Top of Page

GFTC
Permanent Resident

USA
6331 Posts

Posted - 12/27/2005 :  11:05:49 AM  Show Profile  Visit GFTC's Homepage Send GFTC a Private Message
UPDATE

I blocked the shawl and it is gorgeous!! If you saw it and I told you it is the one photographed for the book you would believe it (except for the color).

You all gave me the confidence and I researched all the various blocking methods so this is how I did it:
I found the blocking kit. I covered my dining room table with dry towels and anchored them down with gallon jugs of water (I always have at least 5 gallons of water on hand, call me paranoid) and laid the shawl on top of the dry towels. I threaded the blocking wires through the top, along the triangle formed by the first lace pattern and, finally, through the outside triangle edge formed by the second lace pattern. I measured according to the dimensions in the patterns and locked it down with a few T pins that came w/the blocking kit.

I ran some more towels through the rinse cycle and took them out so they were damp/wet but not soaking or dripping wet. I covered the shawl with the wet towels and left the whole thing for 3 days.

I just released it and I am so pleased with the results. No felting, all the lace patterns look so pretty, the size is exact. I just don't know where I would ever wear a shawl.......but I love it!

GFTC of NYC
Go to Top of Page

Knit kitty
Permanent Resident

USA
1383 Posts

Posted - 12/27/2005 :  1:06:48 PM  Show Profile Send Knit kitty a Private Message
Wonderful!! The blocking process is like magic, isn't it?

As to where to wear a shawl--wherever you want! They go with everything from jeans on up.

~Rebecca

"Nothing, why?"
Go to Top of Page

mom4GJ
Chatty Knitter

USA
114 Posts

Posted - 12/27/2005 :  6:15:45 PM  Show Profile  Visit mom4GJ's Homepage Send mom4GJ a Private Message
I was SO impressed when I blocked my highland triangle shawl. I thought it was pretty before I blocked it -- but after -- when all the lace patterns were more visible -- just wonderful. I wet it in the bathtub with some soap (just a little -- I think I used shampoo) -- using warm to hot water and then left it to soak about ten minutes. I came back and rinsed it with the SAME TEMP water. I wrapped it in towels and stepped on it to dry some, then pinned it out on the carpet. Just loved the blocking effect! Great shawl.

When can we see a picture of yours?

Kim in WV
http://mom4gj.blogspot.com

By laughing, you do not use up your laughter, but increase your store of it. (Life Expectancy, Dean Koontz)
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.84 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?

line subscribe to Knitter's Reviwe