Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: A true British yarn from Erika Knight
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Random Knitting-Related Stuff
 I let my guard down.
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

knittingbaglady
Permanent Resident

USA
1207 Posts

Posted - 03/30/2006 :  05:01:23 AM  Show Profile Send knittingbaglady a Private Message
So I've been knitting for 28+ years, and decided to make a shawl that starts at the top in garter stitch. Simple...the only thing you have to do is a 2 YO's in the center and on either end, every other row. Last night when I picked it up, I noticed 3 mistakes in the garter stitch! How on earth I purled when I should have knit is beyond me...there isn't even purling...anywhere!
Needless to say I spent 45 minutes working my way on down (3 inches for each mistake) so I could weave them back up correctly.
I think I pay more attention when it's complicated.

Just goes to show...

Martha.

http://www.greenmountainknittingbags.com/

maribelaprn
Permanent Resident

USA
2033 Posts

Posted - 03/30/2006 :  05:07:48 AM  Show Profile Send maribelaprn a Private Message
Oh, Martha, been there, just did that!! I started the Candle Flame shawl from Knit Picks, which starts of with 18 rows of garter stitch followed by a failry straight forward lace pattern. How many misteaks can one person make in just a few rows?!?! I started to work my way down to the misteaks, but instead, I just dumped it off the needles and frogged it. Right now, I'm blaming the needles and will hold off starting again until I get some bamboo needles which might hold that laceweight yarn better.

At least I'm accepting responsiblility, huh?!? I think you should blame your needles, too!!

Mari

2006 shawls/throws completed to date: 9

WIP: Candle Flame Shawl (in Alpaca Cloud) from Knit Picks

My blog: http://maribelaprn.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

knittingbaglady
Permanent Resident

USA
1207 Posts

Posted - 03/30/2006 :  05:15:37 AM  Show Profile Send knittingbaglady a Private Message
Stupid needles!

Seriously, it's on Addi's and I love them. Love the yarn too. It was one of those buy, store, then to your delight, find a year later! Lovely wool I bough in Maine, my treat during my annual week there.

But now I'm back to paying attention!

Martha.

Go to Top of Page

maribelaprn
Permanent Resident

USA
2033 Posts

Posted - 03/30/2006 :  05:54:09 AM  Show Profile Send maribelaprn a Private Message
I also used Addi's and I still blame them!! The points might be not pointy enough for that lace yarn. I found that I was knitting into the stitch below and not just the loop. Bamboo might give a bit more cling and stop that. But, had I been paying more attention, that wouldn't have happened! Smug little knitter that I am....

Just what I need....more needles!!!

Mari

2006 shawls/throws completed to date: 9

WIP: Candle Flame Shawl (in Alpaca Cloud) from Knit Picks

My blog: http://maribelaprn.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

RatherBknitting
Chatty Knitter

213 Posts

Posted - 03/30/2006 :  10:45:47 AM  Show Profile Send RatherBknitting a Private Message
Knittingbaglady -- As an advanced beginner, it's good to know that you the experienced knitters still make silly mistakes!

Also, ladies -- thanks for the comments on the Candle Flame shawl. Just yesterday I downloaded the pattern and ordered yarn. I don't have the small needles yet, so I'll stick with bamboo (I like them anyway). I'm really excited to make something beautiful for MYSELF for once! I'm just a little nervous about staying on track with the pattern with all of the hustle and bustle of my family going on around me.
Go to Top of Page

silfert
Chatty Knitter

USA
136 Posts

Posted - 03/30/2006 :  10:48:57 AM  Show Profile  Visit silfert's Homepage Send silfert a Private Message
Maybe it's not the needles, but your inner designer trying to be free.
Go to Top of Page

RoseByAny
Permanent Resident

USA
12598 Posts

Posted - 03/30/2006 :  10:53:46 AM  Show Profile  Visit RoseByAny's Homepage Send RoseByAny a Private Message
My honest guess is that you picked it up, worked three stitches IN THE WRONG DIRECTION - got distracted again, and when you picked it up the second time were headed in the right direction.

Or it was the damn needles knitting on their own when you weren't looking... (frankly, I have so many WIPs at this point I wouldn't mind if they did purl instead of knit, if they'd just get something finished!)

"Choose your friends by their character and your socks by their color. Choosing your socks by their character makes no sense, and choosing your friends by their color is unthinkable."
http://RoseByAny.BlogSpot.Com
Go to Top of Page

2trees
Seriously Hooked

749 Posts

Posted - 03/30/2006 :  1:20:57 PM  Show Profile Send 2trees a Private Message
quote:
Or it was the damn needles knitting on their own when you weren't looking... (frankly, I have so many WIPs at this point I wouldn't mind if they did purl instead of knit, if they'd just get something finished!)

[:00]

If I were kind to myself, I wouldn't have to wait for kindness from others
Go to Top of Page

knittingbaglady
Permanent Resident

USA
1207 Posts

Posted - 03/31/2006 :  05:00:54 AM  Show Profile Send knittingbaglady a Private Message
...My honest guess is that you picked it up, worked three stitches IN THE WRONG DIRECTION - got distracted again, and when you picked it up the second time were headed in the right direction...

I BET YOU'RE RIGHT! And I'm such a stickler about finishing a row before I out it down. I do remember though, having to do so...and because I usually never do, I'm not used to having to be aware of it.

Good detective work...impressive!

Martha.

Go to Top of Page

yarnmama
Seriously Hooked

880 Posts

Posted - 03/31/2006 :  08:18:57 AM  Show Profile  Visit yarnmama's Homepage Send yarnmama a Private Message
That was my first thought too. It would be an easy mistake in garter if you weren't paying attention.

Catherine Harrison
owner of Knitting Notions:Hand Dyed yarns, Hardwood yarn swifts and more
http://www.knittingnotionsonline.com
Go to Top of Page

cknits
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
464 Posts

Posted - 03/31/2006 :  2:46:29 PM  Show Profile Send cknits a Private Message
Martha,

I made the same mistake on the Clapotis. I think that it was only about 3-4 stitches as well, but funny how that little mistake can jump out later. My DH tried to reassure me that no one would notice, but like you, Martha, I had to rip, couldn't stand it!

LOL, now that I think about it,I was using Addis too. Maybe they knit so fast, we don't see the mistakes?

Carrie
Go to Top of Page

blackramfarm
Warming Up

USA
57 Posts

Posted - 03/31/2006 :  3:05:13 PM  Show Profile Send blackramfarm a Private Message
Well, it seems that we all are prone to making the "knit in the wrong direction" move. I do that sometimes when I see my knitting and I am waiting for the kids to get going, so I think, well just a couple of quick rows, then go figger, next time I look, I have a mismatched row and got to frog it. The more I knit the better the mistakes. Ha
Go to Top of Page

knittingbaglady
Permanent Resident

USA
1207 Posts

Posted - 03/31/2006 :  5:39:25 PM  Show Profile Send knittingbaglady a Private Message
You know I try and get in the habit of checking every row or two...count stitches (especially when doing lace) that sort of thing. My mistake was assuming that just because it was garter stitch that I couldn't POSSIBLY make a mistake.

Hmmm.

Like you too, I couldn't live with it. After 28+ years of knitting, mistakes in garter stitch...I think not!

The more I knit the better the mistakes....I like that, and true!

Martha.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.64 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.