Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Always know how much yarn you need
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Spinner Central
 Just Getting Started - Beginning to Spin
 Spinning notebook?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

minh
Permanent Resident and Destasher Extraordinnaire

USA
3466 Posts

Posted - 12/20/2005 :  8:49:17 PM  Show Profile  Visit minh's Homepage Send minh a Private Message
I was thinking that it might be useful to keep a spinning "notebook" in the same way that I keep a knitting journal that keeps track of projects, swatches,...

I'm picturing a little binder with plastic pockets. Each pocket would have an index card with information about the fiber (animal/breed,source, microns,...) and spinning instructions (single or 2-ply, S or Z twist, plying method, how I handled the color variations) as well as a sample of the fiber unspun and spun and maybe even a knitted swatch.

What would you guys recommend adding to this notebook?

Thanks in advance for your replies!

--Minh

nataleeza
Warming Up

New Zealand
86 Posts

Posted - 12/20/2005 :  9:29:39 PM  Show Profile Send nataleeza a Private Message
What a good idea!

One thing I would want to add would be a small space to write or place a photo of what it eventually became, but I like that sort of thing.

Even if you already have a project journal, it would be nice to look back and see what that beautiful fleece turned into.

--
Check out what I'm up to at my blog - HookStars
Go to Top of Page

Magnicmax
Chatty Knitter

100 Posts

Posted - 12/20/2005 :  10:05:40 PM  Show Profile Send Magnicmax a Private Message
Sounds like you have everything covered Minh! I like that idea, think I might tackle it myself when I get my wheel. Thanks for the suggestion.

Donna in RI
she knits, spins and blogs
http://donnaknitsandspins.tripod.com/
Go to Top of Page

mygomi
Warming Up

USA
93 Posts

Posted - 12/21/2005 :  03:39:45 AM  Show Profile  Visit mygomi's Homepage Send mygomi a Private Message
I like this idea!

What are good ways of storing the yarn samples? Off-hand I'm thinking wrapping a bit around some thick paper or cardboard with notches for the ends might be good, but bulky. With my knitting notebook I find yarns get squashed over time and lose some of their character. Creating mini-skeins would be bulky for a notebook. Any other ideas?

Monica

My new blog: http://twoleftneedles.com
Go to Top of Page

RobA
Permanent Resident

2373 Posts

Posted - 12/21/2005 :  06:01:14 AM  Show Profile  Visit RobA's Homepage Send RobA a Private Message
I would also include where I got the fiber, how much yardage I got from how much fiber... dyeing info if I dyed it myself

Rob http://roberta.typepad.com/robknits/
Go to Top of Page

Valk_scot
Permanent Resident

United Kingdom
1281 Posts

Posted - 12/21/2005 :  06:18:24 AM  Show Profile Send Valk_scot a Private Message
Am I the only person that`s disorganised? I tie a card luggage label to my sample skein, scribble a few notes as to what the fibre is etc on the label and keep them all in a big cardboard box that once held an Easter egg.

Val.

[img]http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/26/26_9_21.gif[/img]
Go to Top of Page

truly violet
Permanent Resident

6398 Posts

Posted - 12/21/2005 :  06:44:55 AM  Show Profile  Visit truly violet's Homepage Send truly violet a Private Message
minh, if you do that....you probably will be half way to the master spinner.....
I think that is how you get through the master spinner course

but I could be wrong

vi

none of this will matter in 100 years.......
except I will finally be at my goal weight...vi
http://notashyviolet.blogspot.com/ ~now with chickens!
Go to Top of Page

jaymeKnits
Permanent Resident

USA
1350 Posts

Posted - 12/21/2005 :  07:48:47 AM  Show Profile  Send jaymeKnits a Yahoo! Message Send jaymeKnits a Private Message
Val,

I hope it makes you feel better that you are more organized than me. I've been keeping small bits of everything but I need to go back and label it all and organize it. Someday maybe. I'll add it to my ever growing after Christmas list.

Jayme
Go to Top of Page

minh
Permanent Resident and Destasher Extraordinnaire

USA
3466 Posts

Posted - 12/21/2005 :  09:53:31 AM  Show Profile  Visit minh's Homepage Send minh a Private Message
Thanks for the suggestions! Yeah, I'm kind of concerned that the sample skeins will make the whole thing very bulky but I'll try that for a while before wrapping the yarn around cardboard.

Val and Jayme -- I'm OCD which explains the organization frenzy. You should feel better knowing that you do not count every item in a room when you enter or exit... ;)

--Minh
Go to Top of Page

RiverRock
Chatty Knitter

USA
283 Posts

Posted - 12/21/2005 :  5:33:46 PM  Show Profile Send RiverRock a Private Message
Valks Scot I think you are more organized than I am. LOL!!!!

When I have attended workshops for specific fibers or things. You get index cards to put with your samples. Samples if the different plys you used, samples of any dying you did and with what, samples of the yarn knit up with a few different sized needles.

I don't think I could be that organized, I've tried and I found that I never looked back on my samples. When I spin it is always unique so why bother.

Bless you for being organized, I'm impressed.
Go to Top of Page

truly violet
Permanent Resident

6398 Posts

Posted - 12/21/2005 :  5:51:06 PM  Show Profile  Visit truly violet's Homepage Send truly violet a Private Message
Minh dear...... if you have to count everything when you enter or leave.....
I don't think you'd want to come here......you won't ever get into the room.....we are packed to the gills.....
and leaving.......well......
guess you will be staying forever then huh?

vi

none of this will matter in 100 years.......
except I will finally be at my goal weight...vi
http://notashyviolet.blogspot.com/ ~now with chickens!
Go to Top of Page

firymist
Chatty Knitter

USA
220 Posts

Posted - 12/21/2005 :  11:35:50 PM  Show Profile Send firymist a Private Message
Minh,
What about an accordian file or a photo box? They may leave more room for the mini skeins, or you can get a really fat binder. Just an idea.

firymist
Go to Top of Page

BessH
Permanent Resident

3095 Posts

Posted - 12/22/2005 :  04:43:21 AM  Show Profile  Visit BessH's Homepage Send BessH a Private Message
I don't have a notebook but I do make file cards with fiber content, source, color # or name and comments written on it. I also wrap both single and final plied yarn around the card so that if I wanted to spin it again I have a sample of what it looks like. I have them arranged by fiber content, but I could just as easily arrange them by type of yarn produced. I'm not that prolific yet, though - and haven't made a lot of things with my handspun.

Bess
http://likethequeen.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.78 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.