Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Photos and wisdom from the Knitter's Review Retreat
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Things we do Besides Knitting
 Recipe Swap
 Piparkökur
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

rebeccaL
Seriously Hooked

721 Posts

Posted - 12/18/2005 :  06:35:00 AM  Show Profile Send rebeccaL a Private Message
Piparkökur
These taste almost exactly like ones I remember from when I was little that my grandma would make.

1 1/4 cup sugar
2 sticks butter
1 egg
150 ml Golden syrup
4 1/4 cups flour
6 tsp baking powder
2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp cloves
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp cocoa
1 tsp allspice
1 tsp ginger
1/2 tsp white pepper

Cream butter with sugar. Add egg and then golden syrup. Mix dry ingredients and add. You can roll it out then or put in the refrigerator overnight. Cut into shapes. Bake at 350 for 10-12 minutes.

-------------------------------
Visit my blog at
http://www.spacesheep.com/Fiber/knitblog.html

WendyB
Permanent Resident

3262 Posts

Posted - 12/18/2005 :  07:02:04 AM  Show Profile Send WendyB a Private Message
Hi, Rebecca. What country are these from? They sound delicious, with the cocoa, syrup, spices and all. Thanks! How big would the shapes be?

WendyB
Knit to your heart's delight.
Go to Top of Page

rebeccaL
Seriously Hooked

721 Posts

Posted - 12/18/2005 :  10:10:55 AM  Show Profile Send rebeccaL a Private Message
They are Icelandic.

You can cut them out like gingerbread cookies, with cookie cutters. My nephews cut them out in all kinds of weird shapes (I have quite a collection of odd cookie cutters). So I guess you roll them out say 1/8 inch thick or so. The only thing I should have added is leave space on the cookie sheet because they do grow.

Rebecca

Visit my blog at
Go to Top of Page

mokey
Permanent Resident

15375 Posts

Posted - 12/18/2005 :  1:14:43 PM  Show Profile Send mokey a Private Message
Yum! I love spice! I add cinnamon, nutmeg, pepper to cocoa just because I love those flavours so much.

Golden syrup? Would that be corn syrup?

I know it's hard to give a number because every one makes cookies differnet sizes, but roughly how many cookies does this make? I'm guessing these are very crispy due to the large amount of butter.

"An injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere." Martin Luther King Jr.
www.femiknits.blog-city.com
Go to Top of Page

rebeccaL
Seriously Hooked

721 Posts

Posted - 12/18/2005 :  1:26:53 PM  Show Profile Send rebeccaL a Private Message
Golden syrup is a sugar syrup. You may be able to substitute corn syrup, I haven't tried that. You can often buy Lyle's Golden Syrup in the States in the British imported food section or the baking section, it comes in a green can.

Because of the baking powder, they puff up so they aren't that crispy, I guess it depends on how thin you roll them too. I'm very unexact with rolling out. I'm thinking we had like 6 trays of cookies from the batch we made, I'm trying to remember. It's a decent amount of cookies, if you don't have a lot of cookie eaters around, you could probably halve the recipe and be fine. We have lots of family gatherings and I give out cookies at work and whatnot, so I don't mind having a lot.

Rebecca

Visit my blog at
Go to Top of Page

KathyR
Permanent Resident

New Zealand
2969 Posts

Posted - 12/18/2005 :  4:21:44 PM  Show Profile  Visit KathyR's Homepage Send KathyR a Private Message
These sound really yummy - the spices in them remind me of dutch windmill biscuits (cookies). I would love to try some - but how many grams in a stick of butter?

KathyR

Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
Go to Top of Page

mokey
Permanent Resident

15375 Posts

Posted - 12/18/2005 :  7:03:43 PM  Show Profile Send mokey a Private Message
A stick of butter is 454 grams or 1 US pound.

"An injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere." Martin Luther King Jr.
Go to Top of Page

rebeccaL
Seriously Hooked

721 Posts

Posted - 12/18/2005 :  7:55:32 PM  Show Profile Send rebeccaL a Private Message
What I really meant was a half pound of butter or 225 grams.

Rebecca

Visit my blog at
Go to Top of Page

Chayah
Permanent Resident

1927 Posts

Posted - 12/18/2005 :  8:04:49 PM  Show Profile Send Chayah a Private Message
In U.S. recipes, a stick of butter is 1/2 cup or 4 oz. Thank you Rebecca, these sound delicious.
Chayah in NY
Go to Top of Page

mokey
Permanent Resident

15375 Posts

Posted - 12/18/2005 :  10:09:02 PM  Show Profile Send mokey a Private Message
We always call the whole block of butter a stick. Thanks for clarifying!

Go to Top of Page

azknitter
Honorary Angel

5539 Posts

Posted - 12/18/2005 :  11:52:28 PM  Show Profile Send azknitter a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by rebeccaL

Golden syrup is a sugar syrup. You may be able to substitute corn syrup, I haven't tried that. You can often buy Lyle's Golden Syrup in the States in the British imported food section or the baking section, it comes in a green can.

You can get Golden Syrup at Trader Joe's sometimes and at Cost Plus all the time.

You can substitute white corn syrup for golden syrup, but it doesn't have quite the same flavor.

Trish
Go to Top of Page

mokey
Permanent Resident

15375 Posts

Posted - 12/19/2005 :  01:06:30 AM  Show Profile Send mokey a Private Message
As soon as I saw "Lyle's" I knew exactly what you were talking about LOL. I just assumed you were a Yank and not a Brit because there was no country listed under your name.

Go to Top of Page

KathyR
Permanent Resident

New Zealand
2969 Posts

Posted - 12/19/2005 :  3:01:55 PM  Show Profile  Visit KathyR's Homepage Send KathyR a Private Message
Thanks for clarifying the butter amount. I don't mind working in oz or grams - I have heaps of my Mum's and Grandma's recipes which are pre-metric. I don't like having to measure butter in cups, though. Messy!
Must try this recipe next time I bake. Sounds good.

KathyR

Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.61 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?

line subscribe to Knitter's Reviwe