Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Always know how much yarn you need
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Felting Talk
 Best yarns and fibers for felting
 Cascade 220 in black not felting like other colors
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

azblueskies
Permanent Resident

2393 Posts

Posted - 11/06/2005 :  12:12:37 PM  Show Profile Send azblueskies a Private Message
I just finished a bag using Cascade 200 in black, red and two grays. The other colors felted great but everywhere I used black, you can still see the stitch pattern (ribs). Anyone else have this problem? I used double strands of each color.

Lanea
Permanent Resident

USA
5192 Posts

Posted - 11/07/2005 :  06:42:17 AM  Show Profile  Visit Lanea's Homepage Send Lanea a Private Message
I've never had that problem with 220 in black or any other color, and have used it several times when making knitted felt items in more than one color. Have you tried to spot felt the areas that look different? It may help.

Support our Yarniversal charities, and buy silly stuff: http://www.cafepress.com/yarniversalcult
http://crazylanea.typepad.com/
Go to Top of Page

kbshee
Permanent Resident

USA
4166 Posts

Posted - 11/07/2005 :  10:37:59 AM  Show Profile Send kbshee a Private Message
I'm sure you checked this, but are you sure the 220 wasn't their superwash kind?

kim in oregon
http://kbshee.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

blwinteler
Permanent Resident

USA
3145 Posts

Posted - 11/07/2005 :  12:23:38 PM  Show Profile  Visit blwinteler's Homepage  Send blwinteler a Yahoo! Message Send blwinteler a Private Message
An odd thing along those lines:
When I felted my water bottle sling, the yellow didn't felt as much as the purple and green. Now, I can't for the life of me figure out why that happened. It was all the exact same yarn. The color difference shouldn't matter as I dyed it myself and all from the same skein. Sometimes felting just does that I guess.
I know that doesn't help. But maybe it is reassuring that it can happen with stripes of the same exact yarn.
I have also read here before that sometimes the wool is just a bit different even in the same colors (but different balls) and just won't felt quite the same. Wool is just quirky that way I guess.

Take care!
Brandy

My finished projects

We are but 8 score young blondes and brunettes... all between 16 and 19-and-a-half... cut off in this castle with no one to protect us! Oh... it is a lonely life. Bathing... dressing... undressing... knitting exciting underwear ....(Monty Python and the Holy Grail, Tale of Sir Galahad)
Go to Top of Page

WendyB
Permanent Resident

3262 Posts

Posted - 11/07/2005 :  12:38:39 PM  Show Profile Send WendyB a Private Message
This is a good reminder for me to felt a swatch using all the Cascade 220 colors I intend on using in the felted bags that I want to make with the leftovers when I'm done with my Great American Afghan (run-on sentence).

WendyB
Knit to your heart's delight.
Go to Top of Page

azblueskies
Permanent Resident

2393 Posts

Posted - 11/07/2005 :  1:09:29 PM  Show Profile Send azblueskies a Private Message
No, the black wasn't Super Wash. And now I'm used to the ribbed look of the black. Unfortunately, the strap was in all black and it's much, much longer than I had intended. I'll either have to cut it and put a buckle on it or I could fold the straps down inside the bag and tack them since I'll be lining the bag.
Go to Top of Page

Momo
Seriously Hooked

635 Posts

Posted - 11/09/2005 :  10:08:32 AM  Show Profile  Visit Momo's Homepage Send Momo a Private Message
AZblueskies - I have trouble felting flat straps regardless of type of yarn, but black 220 has felted well for me in general. You might want to try some hand felting for the strap or another spin in the washer altogether.

Cheers,

Charc

My Blog: Kung Fu Knitting
Go to Top of Page

Frannybee
Warming Up

United Kingdom
96 Posts

Posted - 11/09/2005 :  3:54:41 PM  Show Profile  Visit Frannybee's Homepage Send Frannybee a Private Message
Interesting. Black 220 felted wonderfully for me, only took one wash where most yarns take at least 3 in my machine.
Go to Top of Page

janev
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
444 Posts

Posted - 11/09/2005 :  6:24:22 PM  Show Profile  Visit janev's Homepage Send janev a Private Message
That is very strange. I have found that lighter colors don't felt as well as darker colors, or take longer to felt - but Black Cascade 220 has always felted quickly in my machine. But then, I don't think I've ever used it double stranded - maybe that could be the differece?

Jane
"Life may not be the party we hoped for...but while we are here we might as well dance!"
Go to Top of Page

azblueskies
Permanent Resident

2393 Posts

Posted - 11/10/2005 :  10:41:06 PM  Show Profile Send azblueskies a Private Message
The skein I have must have been mismarked. I made a cell phone bag with it and, although it seemed to felt a little, it's almost the same size as before felting. I felted it in the washing machine and then worked with it by hand with no better results. Right now it's in the dryer. I've never had this problem with Cascade 220 before. I just finished another bag with Paton's wool and it felted beautifully. It's a little bit cheaper than Cascade 220 so I think it's my new favorite. I have more of the black...if I try it again, I won't double it and I won't make it much larger than I want the finished product to be.
Go to Top of Page

holly@heritagerecipes.com
New Pal

6 Posts

Posted - 11/11/2005 :  10:48:09 PM  Show Profile  Visit holly@heritagerecipes.com's Homepage Send holly@heritagerecipes.com a Private Message
I felt all the time with black Cascade 220, double strands. When felting a stockinette stitch, I don't see any stitch pattern, however, when I felt a garter stitch or other textured stitch, then I do get a nubby texture instead of a smooth. But I like to use some nubby textures in my felted bag designs.
Once I felted a hat made from three skeins of the same yarn -- the yarn in the middle of the hat didn't felt -- that was a very strange hat!

Holly
www.felted-bags.com
Go to Top of Page

agastier@aol.com
Chatty Knitter

143 Posts

Posted - 11/18/2005 :  3:39:02 PM  Show Profile Send agastier@aol.com a Private Message
<Unfortunately, the strap was in all black and it's much, much longer than I had intended. I'll either have to cut it and put a buckle on it or I could fold the straps down inside the bag and tack them since I'll be lining the bag.>

A hint--I have made dozens of fabric bags ( I am known as a baglady!) and if they are going to rip, it's where the handle meets the bag. If you fold it down at this point, it will reinforce the weakest point.........Annhope
Go to Top of Page

bartlett
Warming Up

57 Posts

Posted - 11/26/2005 :  6:45:58 PM  Show Profile Send bartlett a Private Message
what exactly is spot felting as i had a purse that didn't felt evenly laura
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page