Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: An Irish twist on yarn from Black Water Abbey
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Dyeing Discussion
 Color Theory
 Gothic
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

petitemorte
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
423 Posts

Posted - 10/07/2003 :  11:27:49 PM  Show Profile Send petitemorte a Private Message
I have always been kinda a goth girl not all black but dark colors. Luckily my fiance likes the dark colors too - our winter afghan is a nice combo of burgandy dark purple and black. There's tons of butgandy in our bedroom already carpet curtains and our regular cover.
I try to branch out and get into the lighter colors but something about em just scares me.
I did make our summer afghan in a cream color - its so nice but it looks all outta place in the room. Every time I go yarn shopping i am always drawn to the dark and deep colors.

....I think I am just scared of pink....

life is not measured by the breaths we take but by the moments that take our breath away

Boogie
Permanent Resident

USA
3073 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2003 :  02:39:09 AM  Show Profile  Visit Boogie's Homepage Send Boogie a Private Message
You are not alone. I'm always drawn to the dark colors for myself (my bedroom walls are painted a deep red with a dark green ceiling) Blacks and deep reds and few dark greens or olive drabs thrown in. Dark colors are quite beautiful to me.
My daughter likes pink so having her I am turning around to be interested in other colors. Well, I knit with other colors - I just can't see myself wearing pastels. :)amy

Go to Top of Page

SerMom
Permanent Resident

Canada
6412 Posts

Posted - 10/10/2003 :  7:12:59 PM  Show Profile Send SerMom a Private Message
Personally, I like jewel tones, which is nice, since that's also what suits me.

There are a couple of recent threads on the colours we choose, one being about stash, one simply favourite colours. You might find them interesting.

Barbara (Desperately seeking solutions.)

"I know we've got one SOMEWHERE"
Go to Top of Page

SerMom
Permanent Resident

Canada
6412 Posts

Posted - 10/10/2003 :  7:19:21 PM  Show Profile Send SerMom a Private Message
By the way, have you seen the Gothic shrug at:

http://www.richesseonline.com/medievalgothicshrug.asp

I liked it so much, I actually ordered. I think that's the first pattern I've actually paid for. I actually bought 2 patterns from them - the butterfly shawl as well. Haven't tried doing them yet, so I have no idea how well written the patterns are yet.

Barbara (Desperately seeking solutions.)

"I know we've got one SOMEWHERE"
Go to Top of Page

Boogie
Permanent Resident

USA
3073 Posts

Posted - 10/10/2003 :  7:22:35 PM  Show Profile  Visit Boogie's Homepage Send Boogie a Private Message
Barbara
that gothic shrug is beautiful
I can't wait to hear how it comes out for you
:)amy

Go to Top of Page

myshelle10
Permanent Resident

USA
2749 Posts

Posted - 10/10/2003 :  9:36:29 PM  Show Profile Send myshelle10 a Private Message
Wow! That's gorgeous :)

I love dark colors :) But I also love certain lighter ones that play well w/ my features-- almost every blue-- certain "neutral" colors-- and then blacks, deep purples, navies, burgundy :) Good stuff. This shaw is stunning :)

myshelle

Go to Top of Page

of troy
Permanent Resident

USA
2474 Posts

Posted - 10/11/2003 :  07:04:16 AM  Show Profile  Visit of troy's Homepage Send of troy a Private Message
i am blond, with very fair skin, but irish, too, so i tend to go ruddy in the winter, and pink in the summer.. i find i can wear any color except some tones of orange.. some dullshades, like olive or loden green, positively look wonderful on me.. they tone down the red in my complextion. I love jewel tones, but find i have just about every color in my wardrobe.

as for rooms-- my color pallet changes.. my foyer entryway (a mere 40 inches by 7 feet) is deep purple (think eggplant skin, or royal purple) from it, you enter my 'office' a windowless area behind the L shaped living and dining room. The office is bright, clear deep Yellow, (crayola crayon yellow!) the living room/dining room is a custom color (actually they all were, but yellow and purple shades close to mine are available in most paint mixes)

i got the color from a Pantone book, its called 'blue vapor'.. its the color of fog..not quite blue, not quite grey-- and it's a color that changes.. a short wall, oposite the yellow office, looks pale, pale moss green.. (it reflects the yellow, and the blue changes to grey/green) Near red, the color looks like the faintest of amathyst. In bright sun light, it looks grey, in incandestant light it looks blue.. with mixed lights on, it looks as if the wall were shaded differnt colors.. It is without a doubt the best color i have had on my walls!

as for you gothic types.. Deep colors are wonderful-- don't let anyone tell you you have to have pastels.. if you want to 'lighten them', don't use pastels.. use deep bright colors.. Small patches of rich golden tones marry very well with burgundy, as do, greens, not pure greens, but slightly olive tones-but still bright shades. and copper too.(but copper is a hard color to find)

an other interesting mix is to include blue.. a pale dusty blue.. get a cheap spool of ribbon, and try a new color out with ribbon before you try something more expensive.. you can unspool and 'puddle' the ribbon, or stripe it, -- try different effects, to see if you like it. (you can always use the ribbon afterwards as tie backs, or as trim on lamp shades.)

a color book (like Pantones) is expensive, but it a wonderful tool for finding color matches, and for seeing how some shades of color change in different lights, and when complimented or contrasted with other colors...
there are books besides pantones, but photoshop and hundreds of other aplications use pantone as a reference, so it becomes easier to 'speak' of the same color when you shop. (i bring the book with me for big items.. i manage color matching fine for clothes, but how often to you buy carpet or sofa?-- the scale is so much bigger, its easier to match with handy guide.

Art stores sell color books(i guess amazon too,)

Go to Top of Page

Pinky Yarn
Permanent Resident

USA
1045 Posts

Posted - 10/11/2003 :  09:22:04 AM  Show Profile Send Pinky Yarn a Private Message
This is an interesting topic, i've seen those shawls before and they are all beautiful! I'm more of a pastel person myself, though i cant wear yellow with my skin tone. My step mother is more of a deeper color person, we're going to paint, not going to well with the colors, for once i want a deeper color, ok so it is pink , and she wants a more pastel color, i definitly have a big enough room (hate it) to do a darker color. But back to the shawls, wow, those are soooo pretty!! I've enjoyed hearin everyones contributions to this topic!

-God bless, take care, and dont eat soap!
Go to Top of Page

hobbitknitter
Permanent Resident

USA
2285 Posts

Posted - 10/11/2003 :  3:02:36 PM  Show Profile  Visit hobbitknitter's Homepage Send hobbitknitter a Private Message
In my last room I had yellow walls and navy carpet. It was quite stunning! It was custom, we had that house built. Here I am in another beige room. I'm re-doing in red to make it pop a little more. It'll be kind of, well, "Anne of Green Gables," if you know what I mean.
I like kind of Elven styles, too- dark wood and cream, intricate carvings, gothic windows, etc. I think it's lovely!
BTW those shawls are fantastic!
Sarah

S. Eliz.
Keep on knitting on!
See my gallery: www.pagebypage.com/board/index.php(In photo gallery pages, under S for Sarah Elizabeth)
Go to Top of Page

schoolmama
Permanent Resident

USA
2309 Posts

Posted - 10/11/2003 :  8:22:42 PM  Show Profile  Visit schoolmama's Homepage Send schoolmama a Private Message
I don't like very dark colors, except maybe blue and red. I look better in cool colors, blue, purple, teal, etc. and right now I think my sewing room and family room, one long room, need a facelift, too dark. Dark paneling, dark brick vinyl, etc. Some people look wonderful in those darker colors. I almost never wear black, unless I want to look like a ghost, and yellow, well, it makes me look yellow! I like those shawls, but I ordered the wedding one...it's white, but mostly I wished I'd had that pattern last year when our son got married..for his bride! Maybe for the next one to get married, no plans just yet, maybe I will actually have time to make it! Barb

"OF ALL THE THINGS I HAVE LOST, I MISS MY MIND THE MOST!"
Go to Top of Page

petitemorte
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
423 Posts

Posted - 10/20/2003 :  11:37:39 AM  Show Profile Send petitemorte a Private Message
That shrug is great you gotta post a pic whenever you make it!
I have found that baby blue is the one light shade I can wear - course its always with black.
A nice color book would be wonderful to have - for decorating, knitting, picking out new outfits. I have tons of crayons here and sometimes I just use them to try and figure out interesting color schemes - of course I can't always find yarn in my crayon shades but it gives me some nice ideas.
And now that it's kinda fall the colors outside will be wonderfully gloomy and inspiring

life is not measured by the breaths we take but by the moments that take our breath away
Go to Top of Page

Boogie
Permanent Resident

USA
3073 Posts

Posted - 10/20/2003 :  3:40:02 PM  Show Profile  Visit Boogie's Homepage Send Boogie a Private Message
Over time I have collected myself a nice little stack of paint chips - they are free and they can be really good color guides.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.77 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?

line subscribe to Knitter's Reviwe