Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Knitter's Review Retreat details and Sheepshow
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Completion Issues?
 Absorba bath mat - to frog or not to frog
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

ghk
Warming Up

79 Posts

Posted - 08/23/2006 :  8:10:42 PM  Show Profile Send ghk a Private Message
I love the Mason-Dixon book, and while there are quite a few projects in this book that I'd like to try, for some inexplicable reason, I decided to start with the Absorba bath mat. Probably because we could use a new replacement. Our bathroom colors being what they are, we've got a white bath mat, and white towels. So, I go buy 2 lbs. of Peaches and Cream in white.

Then I decide, the Absorba as written is too thick, that sucker would take a month to dry when washed, so I decide to only use 2 strands of worsted. Fast forward: I've got about half of it done, but I think I'm gonna beat my head against a wall if I have to work on this more. It just doesn't look as plush as it does in the book (well, duh, I only used 2 strands of worsted) and log cabin-ing just isn't fun when there's no color! Just white cotton upon white cotton.

(sigh) Should I just frog? Then what the heck to do with 2 lbs. of white cotton? A girl only needs so many dishcloths.

goldiegirl
Seriously Hooked

611 Posts

Posted - 08/23/2006 :  9:16:59 PM  Show Profile Send goldiegirl a Private Message
If you really like the design, frog it and try again with a third strand, adding a color or two to make it more interesting to knit. If not, frog it. Why continue? Sell the yarn (chances are someone else wants Absorba!), find a project to knit for charity with some of your knitting friends, or donate the yarn to a group that knits for charity.
Go to Top of Page

frenetic@charter.net
Permanent Resident

1386 Posts

Posted - 08/24/2006 :  04:51:37 AM  Show Profile Send frenetic@charter.net a Private Message
Frog it and start again, but this time, put the project near the phone and knit on it when you are talking. That is what I do when I have a big project that is very boring. You'll be surprised how much progress you make.
Sharon
Go to Top of Page

thdx3
Seriously Hooked

691 Posts

Posted - 08/24/2006 :  05:15:39 AM  Show Profile  Visit thdx3's Homepage Send thdx3 a Private Message
Frog it...what's the point of working on something you hate? I've been slogging through the Absorba, too--I'm pleased with the results so far, but I'm using 3 strands of double worsted on size 15 needles (it really does need the thickness) and it's a killer to work on, so I've been putting it down to do other stuff and am resigned that it will be done when it's done.

As for the mega-poundage of white Peaches 'n Cream--keep it in your stash to use as the "mortar" in some colorful Ballband Dishcloths or as an accent color in other projects.

Knit on--

Terri D. in NYC

off jumps jack
Go to Top of Page

gwtreece
Permanent Resident

USA
7254 Posts

Posted - 08/24/2006 :  06:15:33 AM  Show Profile  Send gwtreece a Yahoo! Message Send gwtreece a Private Message
I have the yarn but have been putting off this because I know I will get bored with it. I really want the bathmat. I'm thinking this might be a winter project.

Wanda
My Blog
Go to Top of Page

Outdoorknitter
Chatty Knitter

USA
211 Posts

Posted - 08/24/2006 :  06:27:54 AM  Show Profile  Visit Outdoorknitter's Homepage Send Outdoorknitter a Private Message
I have finished 2 rectangles of the Tailgate Rag Rug and just need to sew them together and add the border. It was boring at times...at least I had the rag yarn between turns to look at.
I worked on it in the car a lot....It makes a ride into town go faster.

This rug calls for 2 strands of double-worsted. It was difficult at times to work on, and I bought enough yarn to also do the Asorba.

Also...I am using the square needles from Kollage. Even tho they are wooden, they worked quite nicely with this yarn.

Joan

Laughter is an instant vacation. - Milton Berle

http://www.localneedle.com
joan@localneedle.com

Go to Top of Page

mokey
Permanent Resident

15375 Posts

Posted - 08/24/2006 :  07:19:03 AM  Show Profile Send mokey a Private Message
I'm wondering what is so boring about this project? I haven't seen the book yet so am just curious.

http://www.femiknits.blog-city.com/knitting_for_canadian_troops.htm
http://greenfishoutofwater.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

gwtreece
Permanent Resident

USA
7254 Posts

Posted - 08/24/2006 :  07:26:16 AM  Show Profile  Send gwtreece a Yahoo! Message Send gwtreece a Private Message
I think they are getting bored with knitting all the same color. Here is the link for the KAL where there are some pictures of the bathmat. http://www.masondixonkal.blogspot.com/

Wanda
My Blog
Go to Top of Page

thdx3
Seriously Hooked

691 Posts

Posted - 08/24/2006 :  07:29:02 AM  Show Profile  Visit thdx3's Homepage Send thdx3 a Private Message
The Absorba is a log-cabin knit bathmat; the pattern as written calls for three strands of double-worsted (chunky) cotton knit together on size 15 needles. I haven't found it boring to work as much as tiring--that's a lot of yarn to be slogging around the needles. The result, however, is really pretty cool and(hopefully) worth it.

Knit on--

Terri D. in NYC

off jumps jack
Go to Top of Page

ghk
Warming Up

79 Posts

Posted - 08/24/2006 :  08:33:39 AM  Show Profile Send ghk a Private Message
Well, thanks everyone for all the advice...into the frog pile it goes! Terri, I think you're right, Absorba is just not the same if you try to make it lighter weight...it's the very between-the-toe plushness that's appealing about this simple design, and in my case, lack of any color.

The idea of using 6 strands of worsted cotton (or 3 strands of double worsted) on size 15 needles makes me cringe at the moment so I'll take a break from this one for awhile. And thus ends for now my brief flirtation with practicality. :)
Go to Top of Page

pixie_day
Chatty Knitter

130 Posts

Posted - 08/30/2006 :  09:05:08 AM  Show Profile  Visit pixie_day's Homepage Send pixie_day a Private Message
I have made Absorba. I used two strands of cream and one of blue with cream in it of just the regular worsted Peaches N Cream. I thought it didn't look plush enough, until I washed that sucker. Now when it gets deflated looking, I just pop it in the washer and dryer.

Mindy

I jumped on the bandwagon. http://swimmomknits.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Knitrageous
Permanent Resident

USA
1445 Posts

Posted - 08/30/2006 :  09:57:02 AM  Show Profile  Visit Knitrageous's Homepage Send Knitrageous a Private Message
Just FYI...there's a bathmat in the one-skein book that is two strands of Peaches/Creme or Sugar/Cream. But it's crochet. I'd thought of trying that one instead of Absorba. After reading this I might!

~~~~Jamye

I don't have a problem with authority, I just have a problem with people telling me what to do.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.73 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?

line subscribe to Knitter's Reviwe