Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Always know how much yarn you need
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Knitting Talk
 General Technique Questions
 Binding Off Too Tight
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author  Topic Next Topic  

HomekeepingGran
Seriously Hooked

614 Posts

Posted - 08/01/2006 :  06:48:29 AM  Show Profile Send HomekeepingGran a Private Message
Here is my question: the bottom edge of a neck-down sweater for my grandson is perfect. The 2X2 ribbing is stretchy, looks good, etc. But the supposedly matching sleeve ribbing is very tight at the edge and I really don't know what I did differently. I was binding off knit stitches as to knit and purl stitches as to purl, neither of them tightly. Vast difference in outcome. I have already cut away the sleeve umbillical cord and worked it in, but I could lose one row of ribbing in order to have some yarn to work with to correct it. Only... how?

Blessings,
Carla

She seeketh wool and flax and worketh willingly with her hands... Proverbs 31:13

PamelaA3
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
476 Posts

Posted - 08/01/2006 :  07:02:48 AM  Show Profile Send PamelaA3 a Private Message
Are you sure you bound off in knit AND purl? I have seen ribbing bound off only in knit and it acts as you have described. Otherwise, pull out a row and work the bind off on needles one or two sizes larger. That should correct the problem.

Good Luck,

Pam
Go to Top of Page

HomekeepingGran
Seriously Hooked

614 Posts

Posted - 08/01/2006 :  07:21:20 AM  Show Profile Send HomekeepingGran a Private Message
Pam, thank you so much for your prompt reply! Yes, I am sure. I did the sweater bottom just as a guess, then was able to ask what is "conventional" at my LYS. I was hyper-aware of how it should be done when I worked on the sleeve last night. I only went down one needle size for the ribbing on both bottom and sleeve, too. The only thing I can think of is to try again. Josiah could get his little hand into it OK, but I'd rather have it right, you know?

Blessings,
Carla

She seeketh wool and flax and worketh willingly with her hands... Proverbs 31:13
Go to Top of Page

Dances with Needles
Chatty Knitter

197 Posts

Posted - 08/01/2006 :  07:52:58 AM  Show Profile Send Dances with Needles a Private Message
I would back it up the row and then use a needle several times as big, the smaller circumfrence is what pulled it tight.

DWN
Go to Top of Page

metromaples
Seriously Hooked

USA
878 Posts

Posted - 08/01/2006 :  11:03:38 AM  Show Profile Send metromaples a Private Message
I would do a sewn bind-off for maximum stretchiness. That's what I've started to do when binding off sock legs.

Jeri

-- Jeri
http://soapquiltknit.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

manika
Chatty Knitter

USA
126 Posts

Posted - 08/01/2006 :  11:40:54 AM  Show Profile Send manika a Private Message
i've heard the same as DWN....bind off in bigger needles for more give. tell us what you've decided...good luck!

www.highstrungyarns.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page

HomekeepingGran
Seriously Hooked

614 Posts

Posted - 08/01/2006 :  12:18:19 PM  Show Profile Send HomekeepingGran a Private Message
I will try again this afternoon/evening. Just got back from grocery shopping and am kind of tired right now. Jeri, do you have directions for a sewn bind-off? I don't remember seeing that, though I could easily have not filed it away mentally when I saw it. I'm really trying to absorb a lot of techniques, even if I'm not ready to use them yet. (Well, trying at least know where to find them, LOL.)

Blessings,
Carla

Go to Top of Page

Pat in east Texas
Chatty Knitter

314 Posts

Posted - 08/01/2006 :  12:25:19 PM  Show Profile Send Pat in east Texas a Private Message
I bind off and cast on with bigger needles.
Go to Top of Page

gulf knitter
Seriously Hooked

USA
737 Posts

Posted - 08/01/2006 :  12:50:35 PM  Show Profile  Visit gulf knitter's Homepage Send gulf knitter a Private Message
When I bind off in ribbing, I often use a sewn bind-off I read about in an Elizabeth Zimmerman book years ago. She called it "cast-on cast-off" and when complete, is identical to a long tail cast on edge. It is very similar to doing kitchener stitch or gratfting, but instead of sewing TO something, you are just catching up the stitches to cast off. Sarah.
Go to Top of Page

HomekeepingGran
Seriously Hooked

614 Posts

Posted - 08/01/2006 :  4:15:15 PM  Show Profile Send HomekeepingGran a Private Message
Thank you, everyone! It's much better, having been bound off with big needles. I know I always hate for anything to be tight or worse, non-giving, in my clothes. I have so much to learn about how to do all this!

Blessings,
Carla

Go to Top of Page

ceecee
Permanent Resident

1896 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2006 :  03:55:54 AM  Show Profile Send ceecee a Private Message
Sewn bind-off:

http://www.socknitters.com/toe-up/lessonsix.htm
Go to Top of Page

HomekeepingGran
Seriously Hooked

614 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2006 :  05:59:19 AM  Show Profile Send HomekeepingGran a Private Message
THANK YOU, ceecee! You ladies are marvelous always willing to jump right in to help. I really appreciate it!

Blessings,
Carla

Go to Top of Page
   Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.64 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?

line subscribe to Knitter's Reviwe