Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: An Irish twist on yarn from Black Water Abbey
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Knitting Needles and Security
 flying from the UK
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

scubagirl1966
Chatty Knitter

105 Posts

Posted - 05/07/2006 :  6:52:27 PM  Show Profile  Visit scubagirl1966's Homepage Send scubagirl1966 a Private Message
I noticed that several people have posted that they have flown with their knitting from the Uk

Be aware that all UK airports still list knitting needles as items not permitted in your carry-on

By all means try it but don`t be surprized if you loose your needles and take something to transfer your work onto in case you get nabbed

----------------------------------=----------------------------------------

i blog .. http://scubagirlsknitting.blogspot.com/

if it`s worth doing .. it`s worth doing over the top - Freddie Mercury

kdcrowley
Permanent Resident

USA
4773 Posts

Posted - 05/08/2006 :  08:33:00 AM  Show Profile  Visit kdcrowley's Homepage Send kdcrowley a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by scubagirl1966

I noticed that several people have posted that they have flown with their knitting from the Uk

Be aware that all UK airports still list knitting needles as items not permitted in your carry-on

By all means try it but don`t be surprized if you loose your needles and take something to transfer your work onto in case you get nabbed

----------------------------------=----------------------------------------

i blog .. http://scubagirlsknitting.blogspot.com/

if it`s worth doing .. it`s worth doing over the top - Freddie Mercury

In point of fact, there is no mention of this in the BAA site, and I just went through Heathrow, got pulled for random searches, and had no problems whatsoever.

http://www.baa.com/portal/controller/dispatcher.jsp?CiID=44909c0c75c82010VgnVCM100000147e120a____&ChID=682b77f246022010VgnVCM100000147e120a____&Ct=B2C_CT_GENERAL&CtID=448c6a4c7f1b0010VgnVCM200000357e120a____&Ch=Packing&ChPath=Home%5ESTN%5EPlan+and+Book+your+Trip%5ETips+%26+Advice%5EPacking&ChIDPath=caf397dc2eb12010VgnVCM100000147e120a____^4cf597dc2eb12010VgnVCM100000147e120a____^c78797dc2eb12010VgnVCM100000147e120a____^d21b77f246022010VgnVCM100000147e120a____^682b77f246022010VgnVCM100000147e120a____

Mistress Kelley of the Hellacious Sockknitting

Going to He** for buying sock yarn during Lent, but at least my feet won't be cold.

http://ceallachknits.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

ozknitter
Permanent Resident

Australia
3290 Posts

Posted - 05/09/2006 :  7:01:21 PM  Show Profile Send ozknitter a Private Message
Hi,

I know for a fact that probablyjane had her knitted needles with her and knitted for a good part of the way to Australia.

She's just gone back home, so maybe you could ask her if you can take knitting needles on board in Australia, but I seriously doubt it.

She also flew Qantas. (Now British Airways).

Knit in peace and harmony.

Rose in Melbourne, Australia.
Go to Top of Page

kdcrowley
Permanent Resident

USA
4773 Posts

Posted - 05/10/2006 :  08:46:39 AM  Show Profile  Visit kdcrowley's Homepage Send kdcrowley a Private Message
Yes, well, it's the airports that administer this, not the airlines.

BAA is the agency that runs that British airports.

Mistress Kelley of the Hellacious Sockknitting

Going to He** for buying sock yarn during Lent, but at least my feet won't be cold.

http://ceallachknits.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

gallant_duck
Chatty Knitter

United Kingdom
183 Posts

Posted - 05/12/2006 :  03:48:33 AM  Show Profile  Visit gallant_duck's Homepage Send gallant_duck a Private Message
I've never had a problem flying in or out of any UK airport (well, the London vased ones, I don't know about the others!). Sweden is another matter. Flying out of Skavsta (Stockholm) they wouldn't let me take an umbrella on board because of god knows what, let alone needles in my carry on. I had to go and check the lot!

What I'd like to know is when they're going to buckle under and ban pens as well. Who KNOWS what kind of mischief one could get up to with a biro on board.

emmms

http://erqsome.typepad.com
http://meepful.diaryland.com
Go to Top of Page

delennthewise
New Pal

United Kingdom
1 Posts

Posted - 05/29/2006 :  05:34:54 AM  Show Profile Send delennthewise a Private Message
Interesting - I do regular internal flights to Heathrow and back - I'd assumed that needles were banned in hand luggage - if not, I'd like to start bringing my knitting with me :)
Go to Top of Page

LisaM
Chatty Knitter

USA
128 Posts

Posted - 05/29/2006 :  11:06:16 AM  Show Profile Send LisaM a Private Message
Hmm. I'm flying home this week and assumed needles in my carry-on would be ok; now I'm not so sure.

I'm flying with BA from Chicago to Glasgow via London.

The needles are bamboo ones.

Anyone have any recent O'Hare and/or BA experiences?

Lisa
Go to Top of Page

Heidi Aussie
Warming Up

Australia
72 Posts

Posted - 05/29/2006 :  7:02:29 PM  Show Profile Send Heidi Aussie a Private Message
In response to Rose's post above.

Flying TO Australia on ANY airline and knitting is OK - PROVIDED that the country you are flying FROM allows knitting needles on flights.

Flying IN Australia with knitting/crochet needles on any plane/airline/class is completely banned. Therefore you can fly into Australia knitting, but will need put your needles into the checked luggage for ANY onward flights (regardless of whether they are internal Australian flights or onward to another country).

I include a post I made on this issue earlier below.

Cheers,
Heidi Aussie
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Alot of people are confused as to whether the airline (eg. Qantas, Virgin Blue, etc) or the government makes the rules on knitting needles in Australia.......it's the guv'mint people

In Australia it is illegal to take knitting needles/crochet hooks through the security check points in airports, hence it is illegal to take them onto a plane. Link to relevant regulation below:

http://www.comlaw.gov.au/ComLaw/Legislation/LegislativeInstrument1.nsf/framelodgmentattachments/EAFA3509C34823D8CA256FB3001791E4

scroll down to 1.07 & Table 1.07.

It does not matter what the needles are made of. By sneaking needles past a checkpoint and onto a plane you are breaking the law and could be charged. Also keep in mind the old "ignorance is no excuse" phrase, so if a steward takes your needles off you during your flight do NOT expect them back at the end of it.

If you have knitted on an Australian internal flight without incident (eg. needles confiscated, charged with offence, etc) then you were lucky.

On a flight originating in Australia and terminating in another country you have still committed an offence by bringing your needles on the plane. Thus they could still be confiscated (with no return) and you still could be charged. The stewards on that particular flight MAY let you keep your needles, assuming you are flying to a country where they are legit or they may NOT.

OTOH if you are flying TO Australia from a jurisdiction where knitting needles are allowed you should have no problem as they are legal to bring onto the plane.

Don't complain to the security screeners/stewards or try and "educate" them. They are following the law as written, you are in the wrong and THEY could get in a world of trouble if they don't do their jobs properly.

Is this all reasonable? You decide.

If you want to try and effect a change in the law, or keep it as it is, write to your local Commonwealth MP and Senator(http://www.aph.gov.au/whoswho/index.htm), AND/OR the Minister for Transport (http://www.aph.gov.au/house/members/member.asp?id=GT4).

Letters are better than emails, typed are better than handwritten. If you email a Minister INCLUDE YOUR POSTAL ADDRESS as some Ministers/MPs will not reply to emails without this information, and they will send you a letter not an email (yes I know...).

Make sure the letters are spell checked and set out clearly (several paragraphs are better than one BIG paragraph ). Give your opinion and ask specific questions. A biggy, don't include another issue (unrelated) in your letter, it makes it easier for the people writing the reply.

If you are a member of an organisation, eg. CWA, War Widows, Spinners & Weavers, etc, see if your organisation (or branch thereof) can write a letter AS WELL. They should send their letter to the local MP/Senator (if electorate/regionally based) AND/OR the Minister for Transport. If state based or bigger then direct to MfT.

Finally keep in mind that 2 pencils (even if they are varnished), a piece of string and your choice of tape/elastic bands (or not) are not prohibited items.
You'd have to be VERY UNLUCKY to strike trouble under Regulation 1.07 (4):
"A replica or imitation of anything described in column 2 of an item in the table is also a prohibited item."

ALSO keep in mind the security screeners/stewards may confiscate ANY ITEM if they deem it to be a security threat.

The above is not legal advice and is my personal view of the law as written.

Cheers,
Heidi Aussie
Go to Top of Page

Miss Malice
New Pal

United Kingdom
7 Posts

Posted - 08/15/2006 :  01:11:11 AM  Show Profile  Visit Miss Malice's Homepage Send Miss Malice a Private Message
Hey there - actually just called BAA today as am flying to SFO in a couple of weeks. General queries receptionist thought they were banned, but as I told her they were in fact not banned (there was a press release about 18 months ago or so from BAA saying they weren't), she asked me which airline I was flying from and put me through to Heathrow Terminal 3 who immediately confirmed they were okay. I suspect wood and plastic will be fine, but metal will likely pose a problem.

In the US, the TSA also confirms they are okay, only be warned that security guards have the discretion to take them away if they deem them a threat.

There seems to be a lot of confusion on this - last year I flew from Heathrow to New York, and when I checked in I asked the check in desk, and the security guy at the check in who both said (plastic) knitting needles were fine, then went through security and asked the guy there (with the xray machines) who said they were fine, but when I got on the plane a member of the cabin crew told me I wasn't allowed them. I held my ground and told her (very nicely) about all the people I had asked who said it was okay, so she went off to call someone to check whether the knitting needles were permitted and finally came back and said it was okay. She did say that the rules change all the time and it is hard to keep up, so I can understand her position. Still - it is a hell of alot of work to get those things on the plane!
Go to Top of Page

gwtreece
Permanent Resident

USA
7254 Posts

Posted - 08/15/2006 :  05:00:43 AM  Show Profile  Send gwtreece a Yahoo! Message Send gwtreece a Private Message
I normally only fly with my Denise needles and haven't had a problem with them

Wanda
My Blog
Go to Top of Page

YarnGoddess
Permanent Resident

USA
2460 Posts

Posted - 08/15/2006 :  05:53:48 AM  Show Profile Send YarnGoddess a Private Message
Thanks so much for the update. Please keep us updated on any information. I saw yesterday in the London Times where the restrictions on carry on baggage were being relaxed, to allow one bag the size of a laptop computer bag, books and newspapers are OK, and a couple other things. I'll be flying over in November and would love to be able to take my knitting on board, both to and from New York.

Miss Malice, good luck on your trip!

Elizabeth
Zipper & Diva

A sense of humor can help you tolerate the unpleasant, cope with the unexpected, overlook the unattractive and smile through the unbearable.

To learn more about healthy nutrition for your cat, go here: http://www.catnutrition.org and here: http://www.catinfo.org/
Go to Top of Page

Miss Malice
New Pal

United Kingdom
7 Posts

Posted - 08/15/2006 :  10:00:07 AM  Show Profile  Visit Miss Malice's Homepage Send Miss Malice a Private Message
Thanks for that! Will report back on my efforts to get knitting on a Virgin flight to Cisco.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.48 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?

line subscribe to Knitter's Reviwe