Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Celebrating Texas fiber producers
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Embarrassing habits when admiring yarn
 Pick it up...Put it down
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

crzyboutyarn
Seriously Hooked

USA
792 Posts

Posted - 01/02/2006 :  12:22:27 PM  Show Profile  Visit crzyboutyarn's Homepage Send crzyboutyarn a Private Message
I am one of those who will pick it up, walk around with it, put it down....and so on for about and hour before I decide what I want and I always end up with everything I picked up the first time. If It were up to me I would buy a little of everything...and I pretty much have... In the past few months I have spent about $500.00 in yarn....I am a total yarn snob and will only buy yarn at my LYS.........I hope I am not the only one...actually I know I am not the only one.

~Courtney [IMG]http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d192/love2croceht/knitting.gif[/IMG]
So many projects, so little time!
http://crzyboutcrochet.blogspot.com/

Imknittin
Chatty Knitter

USA
171 Posts

Posted - 01/02/2006 :  12:26:34 PM  Show Profile Send Imknittin a Private Message
I do that with yarn....and everything else I shop for![:00] Sometimes I end up coming out of the store with nothing...unless of course it's the yarn store...please!!

Angie
Go to Top of Page

lilypad
New Pal

39 Posts

Posted - 01/02/2006 :  2:19:28 PM  Show Profile Send lilypad a Private Message
Count me in on the pick up and put down, then look all around and go back. I like to take it all in (Especially in a store I haven't been in before) and then go back (touchy feely) and decide if there is something in particular I want to make. It still comes down to feel and color though. I'm like that with fabric too!
Laurie
Go to Top of Page

Snookems
New Pal

6 Posts

Posted - 01/03/2006 :  01:26:18 AM  Show Profile Send Snookems a Private Message
Same here! Gotta pick it up and put it down at least 3 times.

Kim in Texas
Go to Top of Page

Shalee
Permanent Resident

USA
2046 Posts

Posted - 01/03/2006 :  07:22:26 AM  Show Profile  Visit Shalee's Homepage Send Shalee a Private Message
What is really dangerous is being at your LYS when a shipment arrives! Very expensive!

Sharon in NW PA
I always wanted my own library but I didn't realize it would be all knitting books!
Go to Top of Page

allsmile
New Pal

USA
44 Posts

Posted - 01/03/2006 :  4:49:54 PM  Show Profile  Visit allsmile's Homepage Send allsmile a Private Message
I do the same thing, but I usually end up with only one thing if I'm lucky. I have to be picky when I'm on a budget, so I walk around until I know I have the right thing.

*Vicki*

Check out my blog
Go to Top of Page

knittingknut
Chatty Knitter

USA
135 Posts

Posted - 01/03/2006 :  4:54:54 PM  Show Profile  Visit knittingknut's Homepage Send knittingknut a Private Message
Wow! I thought it was just me!

Knit long and prosper.
Go to Top of Page

sallyjo
Permanent Resident

USA
2401 Posts

Posted - 01/03/2006 :  5:46:52 PM  Show Profile Send sallyjo a Private Message
Yes. Pick one thing up, walk around to find something to go with it, find something to go with second item, put first item back, find something that goes with # three, go back and pick first up....

"We all have our strengths and our weaknesses."
Go to Top of Page

Manicgirl
Chatty Knitter

Sweden
203 Posts

Posted - 01/08/2006 :  02:46:26 AM  Show Profile  Visit Manicgirl's Homepage Send Manicgirl a Private Message
I so fit into this category, and not only yarn. Just yesterday, I was a sale at one of my LYS and immediately rushed to one yarn which I picked up and put down, pick up, look at all the skeins, choose three, walk around the rest of the store for a while, put down all of them, pick up someething new etc. In the end, I didn't get the first yarn, but I got some other stuff, so it was ok. For me, it seems like sometimes it's enough to just hold the yarn, it makes me as happy as if I had actually bought it. At least that's cheaper!

Tina
(My blog: http://ulltopia.typepad.com/wooltopia)
Go to Top of Page

emjaspina
New Pal

USA
19 Posts

Posted - 01/21/2006 :  08:06:20 AM  Show Profile Send emjaspina a Private Message
I, too am one of those who pick it up, put it down, wander around, pick it up again, etc. However, I also, a lot of the time, actually leave the store and come back later or on another day, before I make the decision of what to buy. I am most likely to do this in a store where I have never been before, like for instance, a store I find while on vacation. My husband, bless him, is very patient about all this, and is usually sitting in a comfy chair in a corner of the store dozing or reading.

MarciaSpina
Go to Top of Page

azknitter
Honorary Angel

5539 Posts

Posted - 01/21/2006 :  12:52:21 PM  Show Profile Send azknitter a Private Message
I ALWAYS do that! It gives me enough time to get over the initial rush that makes me buy things I don't really need or want.

If I can hold it in my hands a few minutes...walk away for a few minutes and still want it...I have a much better chance of not making a dumb impulse buy I'll regret later.

Trish
Go to Top of Page

Sticks and String
Permanent Resident

USA
1113 Posts

Posted - 01/25/2006 :  06:25:54 AM  Show Profile  Visit Sticks and String's Homepage Send Sticks and String a Private Message
I do this almost everywhere I shop. too. A friend who I go to The Christmas Tree Shop with calls it "unshopping". We both get very excited about something, pick it up, carry it around and then right before we get in line to check out we "unshop" our carts to see what we really want to buy and what we just needed that little rush from.

I have also been spotted in yarn shops with yarn in my hands gazing off into space for awhile. I'm imagining all the possibilities for the particular yarn I'm fondling! My DH thinks this is hysterical. He likes to shop but only shops for things he already has a plan for, the concept of dreaming about what the yarn *could* be amuses him.

Jo

"If you love not the noise of bells, why then do you pull the ropes?"
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.52 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.