Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Always know how much yarn you need
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Tool Talk
 Gadgets
 I dont know how to use my swift!
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Kara
New Pal

6 Posts

Posted - 12/04/2005 :  5:04:45 PM  Show Profile Send Kara a Private Message
I'm not feeling too "swift", because I purchased a swift, but i have no idea how I'm supposed to get my hank/skein onto the swift! I've been told that using a swift in conjunction with a ball winder (which I DO know how to use!) is very handy when trying to wind a hank or a skein) Any advice would be Greatly appreaciated!

RoseByAny
Permanent Resident

USA
12598 Posts

Posted - 12/04/2005 :  5:20:48 PM  Show Profile  Visit RoseByAny's Homepage Send RoseByAny a Private Message
What I do (and there's probably a more graceful method) is to have the swift at its smallest size, put the hank of yarn over it, then with one hand twist the hank of yarn (still tied) so it doesn't fall off, and the other hand raise the swift until it fits tightly against the yarn (which I'm loosening my grip on as I raise the swift)

Once the yarn is on it, just find the end of the yarn, break the ties that are holding it in hank state (being VERY careful that they are in fact extra ties, and not part of the hank itself) and hook that end in the ballwinder. As you wind, the swift will spin.

"Choose your friends by their character and your socks by their color. Choosing your socks by their character makes no sense, and choosing your friends by their color is unthinkable."
http://RoseByAny.BlogSpot.Com
Go to Top of Page

COgirl
Permanent Resident

USA
2176 Posts

Posted - 12/04/2005 :  6:00:47 PM  Show Profile Send COgirl a Private Message
That's what I do. I love it for hanks. If I didn't have it I'd be putting my body thru weird contortions to wind the yarn.
Go to Top of Page

fmarrs
Guardian angel

USA
9776 Posts

Posted - 12/05/2005 :  04:35:22 AM  Show Profile Send fmarrs a Private Message
I do one more thing before putting it on the swift. I insert my arms into the hank and yank it to its full length several times. This straightens out the yarns and lines them up so they come of the swift easier. The biggest cause of problems with a swift is making it spin too fast.

fran

http://www.geocities.com/martian_mischief/
Go to Top of Page

COgirl
Permanent Resident

USA
2176 Posts

Posted - 12/05/2005 :  08:15:45 AM  Show Profile Send COgirl a Private Message
That and tangling. . .
Go to Top of Page

Jane
SustaYning Member

USA
4391 Posts

Posted - 12/05/2005 :  10:56:32 AM  Show Profile  Visit Jane's Homepage Send Jane a Private Message
One more tip: if you have a place to mount your swift so it is perpendicular to the floor (when open it will look like a ferris wheel) rather than upright (like a lampshade) then gravity will work for you rather than against you.

Jane

Blog: Not Plain Jane
Go to Top of Page

onemorerow
Gabber Extraordinaire

424 Posts

Posted - 12/08/2005 :  07:17:44 AM  Show Profile Send onemorerow a Private Message
I am thinking about treating myself to a swift and winder. Any suggestions as to which ones are better etc and where to buy them??? I would love some help on this.
Go to Top of Page

azknitter
Honorary Angel

5539 Posts

Posted - 12/08/2005 :  11:30:30 AM  Show Profile Send azknitter a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by onemorerow

I am thinking about treating myself to a swift and winder. Any suggestions as to which ones are better etc and where to buy them??? I would love some help on this.

http://www.knittersreview.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=39501&SearchTerms=,swifts

Trish
Go to Top of Page

NaProus
Permanent Resident

1828 Posts

Posted - 12/08/2005 :  12:21:48 PM  Show Profile Send NaProus a Private Message
I used a swift today for the first time at my LYS, and OMG! I loved it! I need one! I was a happy, happy bunny, and giggling like a schoolgirl.

Louisa

What's a leper bandage? http://www.bevscountrycottage.com/bandages.html
http://www.ghm.org/resources/hands-on/knittedbandage.html
Go to Top of Page

elizh
Permanent Resident

USA
1248 Posts

Posted - 12/12/2005 :  3:10:30 PM  Show Profile Send elizh a Private Message
I clamp my swift on to the back of a chair, so it turns like a ferris wheel. I glued some felt pads to the clamp surfaces to they won't scratch anything.
Go to Top of Page

MoBarger
Chatty Knitter

311 Posts

Posted - 12/12/2005 :  4:00:57 PM  Show Profile  Visit MoBarger's Homepage Send MoBarger a Private Message
I just started using one. Love it love it love it. Fmarrs is right on about making it spin too fast, very easy to do.
I got the one at Joann.com, using a 40% coupon. But this week they have 50% coupons and the swifts are still full price so you can get it for around 30 bucks.

Mo Barger, close to Ithaca, NY
My Journal
Fiber Site for upstate NY'ers
Go to Top of Page

kdavies
Warming Up

USA
60 Posts

Posted - 12/12/2005 :  7:40:45 PM  Show Profile  Visit kdavies's Homepage  Send kdavies a Yahoo! Message Send kdavies a Private Message
I got my swift the same way, MoBarger...I used to shop online at JoAnn's and they sent me coupons all the time. When the 50% off one showed up, I got the swift immediately! I had already ruined 2 hanks of yarn, so I wanted one before I ordered anymore! Love it!

Kathy
Knitting Noodles

The Lord says: "Get ready to be Amazed, for I will do great things; you would not believe them if you were told." Habakkuk 1:5
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.7 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?

line subscribe to Knitter's Reviwe