Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Always know how much yarn you need
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Yarn Talk
 Stash management
 Do "space bags" affect the loft of yarn?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author  Topic Next Topic  

fiddlestix
Chatty Knitter

100 Posts

Posted - 11/29/2005 :  08:35:23 AM  Show Profile Send fiddlestix a Private Message
I am in serious need of stash management. I have a playroom which also doubles as yarn "studio". Problem is, I'm going to have to either corral the yarn or give away the kids' toys!!! I was thinking of putting my yarn in "space bags" and then into a pine chest of drawers that's in the room. I'm wondering, though, if once the bags are opened, will the yarn "spring" back to life. If you've tried this method of storage, please give me some input and let me know how long you stored your yarn this way. I would appreciate any advice. (and so will the kids - their toys are riding on this!) Just kidding.

probablyjane
Permanent Resident

United Kingdom
1227 Posts

Posted - 11/29/2005 :  08:40:15 AM  Show Profile  Visit probablyjane's Homepage Send probablyjane a Private Message
I was talking to someone who sells ends of lines from the factory and he was telling me that he once bought 5 tons of mohair packed under pressure on a pallet. Once opened it sprang into the room like one of those automatically inflating liferafts, filling the whole space with little hairy balls - so on the strength of that anecdote, yes, I think it does come back to life....

'What's so funny 'bout peace, love and understanding?' Elvis Costello
http://uk.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/janelithgow/album
Go to Top of Page

achrisvet
Permanent Resident

USA
5986 Posts

Posted - 11/29/2005 :  11:34:34 AM  Show Profile Send achrisvet a Private Message
Personally, I think you should give away the toys.

Anita
My completed projects

and here

Go to Top of Page

mokey
Permanent Resident

15375 Posts

Posted - 11/29/2005 :  11:46:09 AM  Show Profile Send mokey a Private Message
I've had yarn in space bags for ages with no adverse effects.

Perhaps you and your kids can both use this as an opportunity to do some winter cleaning? For every toy they give away, you give away a couple balls of yarn?

"An injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere." Martin Luther King Jr.
www.femiknits.blog-city.com
Go to Top of Page

booglass
Permanent Resident

Costa Rica
1987 Posts

Posted - 11/29/2005 :  4:04:33 PM  Show Profile  Visit booglass's Homepage Send booglass a Private Message
Depends on the yarn and the whether it is in a ball or skein/hank thingy. What you will need is a volunteer to roll around on your space bag to get as much air out as humanly possible.

bonnie

Check out my blog:
http://www.booglass.typepad.com
Go to Top of Page

fiddlestix
Chatty Knitter

100 Posts

Posted - 12/04/2005 :  07:41:47 AM  Show Profile Send fiddlestix a Private Message
Thanks for the input. I may try this on a few non-essential skeins of different fibers and see how they come out. Sorta like a time capsule project!
Go to Top of Page

WendyB
Permanent Resident

3262 Posts

Posted - 12/04/2005 :  1:27:56 PM  Show Profile Send WendyB a Private Message
Today I've been managing my own stash, and I've been using the Hefty jumbo 2.5-gallon ziploc plastic bags with "soda straw" method (sucking out the air). I know it wasn't a long-time test, but I tried it and then opened the bag, and by what I see, it seems like it would be no problem, and they will all come back to life. They've been squished by other yarns in their storage bin for up to a year and a half anyway, and don't seem flattened because of it. I say go for it (the space bags).

WendyB
Knit to your heart's delight.
Go to Top of Page

fmarrs
Guardian angel

USA
9776 Posts

Posted - 12/04/2005 :  1:31:45 PM  Show Profile Send fmarrs a Private Message
I've never found that squishing did any harm to yarn. However, rolling it into tight balls does. It stretches the yarn and then when it is knit up, it goes back to its original size and your garment is too small. My problem is that I go through my stash too often to make space bags practical.

fran

http://www.geocities.com/martian_mischief/
Go to Top of Page

Rho
Permanent Resident

1570 Posts

Posted - 12/16/2005 :  5:40:07 PM  Show Profile  Visit Rho's Homepage Send Rho a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by probablyjane

I was talking to someone who sells ends of lines from the factory and he was telling me that he once bought 5 tons of mohair packed under pressure on a pallet. Once opened it sprang into the room like one of those automatically inflating liferafts, filling the whole space with little hairy balls

Ok - so am I the only one dating myself when I say I had immediate visions of tribbles with this description. Please tell me it crossed your mind also Please.............

rho
Go to Top of Page

gulf knitter
Seriously Hooked

USA
737 Posts

Posted - 12/19/2005 :  3:24:07 PM  Show Profile  Visit gulf knitter's Homepage Send gulf knitter a Private Message
Oh, yes. I thought of tribbles.
Go to Top of Page

Atavistic
Permanent Resident

6604 Posts

Posted - 12/19/2005 :  3:25:29 PM  Show Profile  Visit Atavistic's Homepage Send Atavistic a Private Message
I can't imagine that yarn isn't often shipped squished down--saves money (fewer shipments).

Amanda

"Is that my Not-Mine Sweater? Whoever gets that Not-Mine Sweater is very lucky."
Go to Top of Page

ydpubs
Warming Up

66 Posts

Posted - 01/03/2006 :  11:43:36 AM  Show Profile Send ydpubs a Private Message
quote:
Ok - so am I the only one dating myself when I say I had immediate visions of tribbles with this description. Please tell me it crossed your mind also Please.............

You are not alone. That is one of my all time favorite shows from the original series. When Shatner opens that hatch and is bombarded by Tribbles, I cried from laughing. Then, as he's standing there, someone from up above is pelting him with a few. HAAA!!
Go to Top of Page
   Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.84 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?

line subscribe to Knitter's Reviwe