Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: A true British yarn from Erika Knight
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Tool Talk
 Software
 Favorite Software?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

OneKnittingMama
Chatty Knitter

USA
118 Posts

Posted - 10/25/2005 :  11:07:20 AM  Show Profile  Visit OneKnittingMama's Homepage  Send OneKnittingMama a Yahoo! Message Send OneKnittingMama a Private Message
Tried the much touted Sweater-Wizard...not crazy about it's limitations (few options for each design element)...

Got the demo of Knit-Able...doesn't have all the features I'd want...

Anyone have software they like or dislike...pro & con???

Hugs,
Marie :)

My Knitting Blog

My Homeschooling Blog

Lissa
Permanent Resident

USA
4942 Posts

Posted - 10/25/2005 :  1:10:20 PM  Show Profile  Visit Lissa's Homepage Send Lissa a Private Message
Marie, were you using the demo edition? That version is significantly limited in the changes you can make. The "real" version lets you change virtually anything about a sweater - it's really wonderful.

Lissa

During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a
revolutionary act. -- George Orwell

Oh, and I now have a blog:http://knittnlissa.typepad.com/knittnlissa/
Go to Top of Page

becka always
Permanent Resident

USA
1959 Posts

Posted - 10/25/2005 :  3:24:37 PM  Show Profile  Visit becka always's Homepage Send becka always a Private Message
I've not yet gotten it but it is on my 'wish list' for bday. I've heard nothing but raves about Sweater Wizard 3. Are we talking about the same aoftware?!

[IMG]http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y119/rebeccame/avatarknittingyoda.jpg[/IMG]

Addicted to the Knit
Becka Always
Go to Top of Page

InMySpareTime
Chatty Knitter

141 Posts

Posted - 10/26/2005 :  07:49:29 AM  Show Profile Send InMySpareTime a Private Message
If I remember correctly, Sweater Wizard and Knitable are really two different type of programs. There may be some overlap in features, but I can't remember. Knitable is more of a database program to keep up with what you have, although you can copy a pattern to it from a word processing program. SW allows you to design.

If you are looking for design software, I have demo'd both SW and Knitware. I personally prefer Knitware. It just seems a little more uncluttered to me. I like being able to plug in size, gauge, and design elements, and other details. I believe SW does this, too, I just like knitware better for some reason.

Knitware has a demo that can be downloaded from knitware.ca

Go to Top of Page

pjkite
Permanent Resident

1198 Posts

Posted - 10/26/2005 :  10:06:03 AM  Show Profile  Visit pjkite's Homepage  Send pjkite a Yahoo! Message Send pjkite a Private Message
I demoed several different software packages - Cochinelle, Knitable, and Sweater Wizard. Checked out the things that the demos wouldn't allow that the full versions would, and signed up for their support lists for a week or two. After that, I bought Sweater Wizard 3. Carole is wonderful at support, and seems to be able to explain how to 'outwit' any perceived limitations in the program with creative and easy work-arounds. She also tends to answer any question within 24 hours. I didn't see that type of support for either of the other two programs.

Pamela Kite
East Tennessee
http://fiberlife.blogspot.com/

Go to Top of Page

achrisvet
Permanent Resident

USA
5986 Posts

Posted - 10/26/2005 :  10:07:35 AM  Show Profile Send achrisvet a Private Message
There is another design software that is supposed to have all the bells and whistles is it Garment Designer? Something like that. But it is very expensive! Something like $300. I'd rather spend the money on yarn.

Anita
My completed projects

and here

Go to Top of Page

Lissa
Permanent Resident

USA
4942 Posts

Posted - 10/27/2005 :  10:08:34 AM  Show Profile  Visit Lissa's Homepage Send Lissa a Private Message
Not to mention that if you do find a programming error, Carole will have it fix and issue a free downloadble patch before you can blink!

Lissa

During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a
revolutionary act. -- George Orwell

Oh, and I now have a blog:http://knittnlissa.typepad.com/knittnlissa/
Go to Top of Page

Tangled Jane
Seriously Hooked

Canada
750 Posts

Posted - 11/10/2005 :  2:25:18 PM  Show Profile  Visit Tangled Jane's Homepage Send Tangled Jane a Private Message
I just bought Sweater Wizard. It arrived today and is sitting at my elbow now. eyeing me expectantly. Soon, I say. After reading the reviews, Sweater Wizard seemed the best supported but I'll see how it goes. Jane

http://www.janethornley.com/journal_knitters.php

Jane Thornley
Go to Top of Page

OneKnittingMama
Chatty Knitter

USA
118 Posts

Posted - 11/13/2005 :  10:00:34 PM  Show Profile  Visit OneKnittingMama's Homepage  Send OneKnittingMama a Yahoo! Message Send OneKnittingMama a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Lissa

Marie, were you using the demo edition?

Nope, the shop I work at has the full on version. Maybe it's avery early edition???

Hugs,

My Knitting Blog

My Homeschooling Blog
Go to Top of Page

OneKnittingMama
Chatty Knitter

USA
118 Posts

Posted - 11/13/2005 :  10:01:35 PM  Show Profile  Visit OneKnittingMama's Homepage  Send OneKnittingMama a Yahoo! Message Send OneKnittingMama a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by InMySpareTime

If I remember correctly, Sweater Wizard and Knitable are really two different type of programs.

Yes, I do know that...I was just talking about kniting software in general. Which programs people have tried & pros & cons to each....
Sorry if I was unclear.

Hugs,

My Knitting Blog

My Homeschooling Blog
Go to Top of Page

Dicksie
Permanent Resident

USA
1995 Posts

Posted - 11/14/2005 :  9:52:46 PM  Show Profile Send Dicksie a Private Message
I use several different programs. Sweater Wizard is wonderful for designing a new pattern, or customizing a published pattern, very versatile and the tech support is first rate. I use Stitch and Motif Maker for charting. You can create cables, gansey designs, fair isle, intarsia, lace. Knitting Math is helpful for placing increases and decreases evenly, as well as for buttonhole placement. I have Knitable for use with my PDA. Enter the information with the desktop (although that isn't necessary). It serves as a data base for needles, yarns, books, sizing information, but you can also enter an entire pattern (copy and paste from your files) and very user friendly. I also use the eKnitKards, and have just participated in evaluating the new desktop version of that program. Certainly there is a degree of overlap, but I find that each has its good points. Also have Countable on my PDA, which helps track whatever you want to keep track of - increases, decreases, pattern repeats. etc. I purchased Cochinille's Stitch Painter several years ago (actually my first software and by far the most expensive), but it was on floppys and when I bought a new computer without a floppy drive I couldn't install it, although I copied them to a CD. When I called their tech support for advice was told they could take care of it and would get right back to me - that was two years ago and in spite of e-mails and phone calls, they have never responded, so I'm not too eager to endorse their product. I have the Sock Wizard demo loaded, but I don't knit socks too often so really haven't worked with it, but if it is comparable to Sweater Wizard, I wouldn't hesitate to purchase it, if socks are your thing.
Dicksie

http://tourdirector.smugmug.com/gallery/529635
Go to Top of Page

Garrison
New Pal

15 Posts

Posted - 12/10/2005 :  10:04:45 PM  Show Profile  Visit Garrison's Homepage Send Garrison a Private Message
I have cochenille garment design and stitch painter. I design a great deal of my own sweaters using my own handspun so the combo of these two programs gives my unlimited freedom. It was expensive but worth the money. I haven't learn all that I could but just the ability to sit down with my gauge swatch and plug in size and type of sweater or garment and have all the neccessary info in minutes is worth it.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.5 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?

line subscribe to Knitter's Reviwe