Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Photos and wisdom from the Knitter's Review Retreat
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Felting Talk
 Best yarns and fibers for felting
 Knit Picks Sierra for felting
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

cknits
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
464 Posts

Posted - 09/26/2005 :  07:18:53 AM  Show Profile Send cknits a Private Message
Has anyone tried felting wtih Sierra from KP? I'd like to use a bulky wt. for slippers. I know that I could double strand WTA, but I'm curious about subbing with Sierra.

Thanks!

Lanea
Permanent Resident

USA
5194 Posts

Posted - 09/26/2005 :  09:25:27 AM  Show Profile  Visit Lanea's Homepage Send Lanea a Private Message
I bet it would work very well. I've had good luck felting their lighter-gauge yarns, and my guess is that this is the same wool and dye just worked up into a heavier yarn. I often try to avoid double-stranding when I can since it often increases the price of the project, but in this case it would be more expensive to use Sierra than a double-strand of Wool of the Andes. Are you looking at this option because of a color preference?

http://crazylanea.typepad.com/
Go to Top of Page

jaymeKnits
Permanent Resident

USA
1353 Posts

Posted - 09/26/2005 :  10:01:18 AM  Show Profile  Send jaymeKnits a Yahoo! Message Send jaymeKnits a Private Message
Lanea, it isn't the same as their other yarns, it has Alpaca in it. I think the other question to ask here is does Alpaca felt? I have a hank in my KP cart thinking I'd try it and see. If you are already going to be ordering you might as well buy one skein, swatch and see what happens.

Jayme
Go to Top of Page

jaymeKnits
Permanent Resident

USA
1353 Posts

Posted - 09/26/2005 :  10:04:56 AM  Show Profile  Send jaymeKnits a Yahoo! Message Send jaymeKnits a Private Message
...oh, and KP WTA doubled would be cheaper than one strand of Sierra and Merino Style doubled would be about the same price. Although if alpaca felts the sierra would probably be much softer than WTA.

Jayme
Go to Top of Page

Lanea
Permanent Resident

USA
5194 Posts

Posted - 09/26/2005 :  10:12:20 AM  Show Profile  Visit Lanea's Homepage Send Lanea a Private Message
Alpaca felts beautifully.

http://crazylanea.typepad.com/
Go to Top of Page

cknits
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
464 Posts

Posted - 09/26/2005 :  10:13:21 AM  Show Profile Send cknits a Private Message
I was looking at the alpaca content for its softness. I'm not sure if alpaca felts as well as wool though?

Has anyone had experience felting with alpaca?

Thanks!
Go to Top of Page

linna
New Pal

USA
17 Posts

Posted - 09/28/2005 :  1:37:19 PM  Show Profile Send linna a Private Message
I have made two buttonhole bags using Knitpicks Sierra (using bud, pool and tide colorways) and I can report that it felts very nicely - no fuzz and good color retention. I'm looking forward to getting more as soon as my bulky yarn stash for bags goes down a bit

It feels so nice to knit with also.

Linna
Go to Top of Page

jaymeKnits
Permanent Resident

USA
1353 Posts

Posted - 09/29/2005 :  06:47:42 AM  Show Profile  Send jaymeKnits a Yahoo! Message Send jaymeKnits a Private Message
A friend in my knitting group felted a swatch of Sierra and she said it behaved almost exactly like wool when felted.

Jayme
Go to Top of Page

JayhawkKnitter
Seriously Hooked

USA
910 Posts

Posted - 09/29/2005 :  07:55:53 AM  Show Profile  Visit JayhawkKnitter's Homepage Send JayhawkKnitter a Private Message
Any animal fiber that is not treated to be superwash will felt.

Check out my blog!

http://www.knittinhoney.blog-city.com
Go to Top of Page

jaymeKnits
Permanent Resident

USA
1353 Posts

Posted - 09/29/2005 :  09:11:03 AM  Show Profile  Send jaymeKnits a Yahoo! Message Send jaymeKnits a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by JayhawkKnitter

Any animal fiber that is not treated to be superwash will felt.

Then why doesn't my hair felt in the shower?

Jayme
Go to Top of Page

JayhawkKnitter
Seriously Hooked

USA
910 Posts

Posted - 09/29/2005 :  1:01:57 PM  Show Profile  Visit JayhawkKnitter's Homepage Send JayhawkKnitter a Private Message
Because you are washing your hair with cleansing agents.

Dredlock are, essentially, "felted" human hair.

Check out my blog!

http://www.knittinhoney.blog-city.com
Go to Top of Page

cknits
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
464 Posts

Posted - 10/02/2005 :  6:40:55 PM  Show Profile Send cknits a Private Message
Thanks for the input! I'd like to try the yarn for the slippers in Felted Knits. Done lots of felting but never slippers, wish me luck!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.53 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?

line subscribe to Knitter's Reviwe