Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: A strong and discreet knot for knitting
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Knitting Machine Talk
 Mid-Gauge Machines
 Weaving cast-on hints??
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

yarnfloozie
New Pal

7 Posts

Posted - 11/02/2007 :  1:52:37 PM  Show Profile Send yarnfloozie a Private Message
Help! I can't seem to manage the weaving cast-on for an old Studio 360. The machine 'spits up' at me on the 2nd or 3rd row. I've tried using the instructions from the manual, the instructions from Leslye Solomon's book, and some I found online (which are all basically the same). I can't try using a cast-on comb (unless I buy one; maybe that's the solution?) like I do with my ancient Studio SD-502. When the 502 spits up, I know that I need to add more weight, but I'm also using a different method--I haven't tried the weaving cast-on on the 502; I don't think it's possible as there are no weaving brushes. Any advice or tips would be appreciated!
Amy

Bernie
Chatty Knitter

Canada
115 Posts

Posted - 11/04/2007 :  10:57:43 AM  Show Profile Send Bernie a Private Message
Hi: A cast on comb is not the solution for the weaving cast on. The cast on comb is used when the ribber is in place and you are going to do ribbing.
For the weaving cast on, the carriage should be on the right hand side of the machine. For this example, say you want to use 40 stitches, bring out all 40 needles to E, starting on the second needle, push every other needle back to B. Put the yarn in the yarn feeder, and bring it under the carriage and over top of all the needles, flip the weaving brushes so they are down in working position. Holding on to the tail of the yarn, push the carriage across. Go back and forth a few times until you have enough knit to hang weights. Don't hang them too soon, or they will get caught up in the carriage.
Hope this helps. If you are still having problems, let me know.
Bernie
Go to Top of Page

marvma
New Pal

USA
15 Posts

Posted - 11/04/2007 :  7:43:52 PM  Show Profile Send marvma a Private Message
One other hint to add to Bernie's excellent directions: After knitting the first row, bring all the needles in work out to the "hold" position. Knit across. Repeat for at least 4 rows. thank you. Keep the faith, share the peace. Marvma
Go to Top of Page

yarnfloozie
New Pal

7 Posts

Posted - 11/05/2007 :  1:00:54 PM  Show Profile Send yarnfloozie a Private Message
Would putting the needles on 'hold' help prevent skipped stitches? (I guess I'll find out this afternoon!)

Thanks
Amy
Go to Top of Page

Bernie
Chatty Knitter

Canada
115 Posts

Posted - 11/05/2007 :  5:50:00 PM  Show Profile Send Bernie a Private Message
Hi: After you have done the first row of this cast on, you can bring the needles out to E position if you want to, just be sure to push the stitches back to the back of the needle near the gate posts. If you are still experiencing problems, have you checked your sponge bar (also called retainer bar)if it is flat, that can also cause problems.
Bernie
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.56 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?