Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: A strong and discreet knot for knitting
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Knitting Machine Talk
 Super Duper Basic Beginner Talk
 what machine to start with?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

sinnamongirl
New Pal

USA
2 Posts

Posted - 10/07/2007 :  8:27:59 PM  Show Profile Send sinnamongirl a Private Message
I'm just getting into knitting, hand knitting, and love it. However, I am intrigued by machine knitting. It seems fun and technical and fast. I would like to make sweaters for the family, afghans and socks, scarves, etc...I have various articles to know that I will probably end up with 6 machines someday. But right now since i am on a limited budget I have been looking at ebay. I just bought a Studio LK150, supposedly new in box, for $179 plus shipping. I know it's a mid gauge machine and may not do the smaller yarns for socks or the larger bulky wieght yarns, but i think it's a good place to begin.

That being said, I'm thinking about a Brother 400 because it claims to be convertible from 4.5 to 9. Does this really work well? I also have my eye on a Brother 836 since this will take a ribber and a garter carriage....You see?? i can already tell this will be addicting

So, what do you think? Thanks in advance for any and all advice!!

Bernie
Chatty Knitter

Canada
115 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2007 :  03:51:51 AM  Show Profile Send Bernie a Private Message
Hi: Welcome to the world of machine knitting. The LK150 is a great machine to start out with. That's what I started out with and now have 7 machines. You are very correct that they are addictive. I'm not that familiar with the Brother 400, but I've heard other people who own them like them. The brother 836 is an older machine and will only take the KG88 garter carriage. If you can find a machine that comes with a garter carriage I would recommend that. Garter carriages are extremely hard to find and the ones on ebay are really pricey.
If you need any help with your machine, or find one you'd like a second opinion on, just post here or send me an email.
Bernie
Go to Top of Page

~bananaKnits~
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
516 Posts

Posted - 10/11/2007 :  9:45:29 PM  Show Profile  Visit ~bananaKnits~'s Homepage  Send ~bananaKnits~ a Yahoo! Message Send ~bananaKnits~ a Private Message
I have an LK150 and I love it and I too agree that it's a great machine to start out with. I also have a Brother Bulky which I love too.

Happy Knitting,

http://bananaknits.com/

Go to Top of Page

ShannonM
Gabber Extraordinaire

352 Posts

Posted - 10/12/2007 :  11:05:54 AM  Show Profile Send ShannonM a Private Message
I have an LK 150 and I pretty much only use it for endless stockinette projects. I really like the machine, but I don't see myself buying another one. Hand-knitting fits in better with my lifestyle. I have a smallish house and two small children. Neither is compatible with machine knitting because I don't have a safe place to leave the machine assembled and I rarely have long stretches of time to finish a big project in one sitting. It's really too noisy to use when the little people are sleeping.

Shannon
Go to Top of Page

~bananaKnits~
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
516 Posts

Posted - 10/12/2007 :  9:08:32 PM  Show Profile  Visit ~bananaKnits~'s Homepage  Send ~bananaKnits~ a Yahoo! Message Send ~bananaKnits~ a Private Message
Machine knitting is not portable and unless I can leave the machine set up it's almost impossible to finish projects. I often knit portions of a project with the machine and finish up by hand. In my opinion there is plenty of "hand" work left even is most of the bulk of the knitting is done on the machine. For me I look at it just as another tool like just another set of needles to use.

I still love hand knitting and have both type of projects going most of the time. I also find that sometimes I'm in the mood for hand knitting and other times to try out a new stitch I've seen or learned on the machine. It helps if you have a network of machine knitters to encourage and learn from.

Of course my little people are all grown up and my husband is a sound sleeper because it is noisy.

Happy Knitting,

Go to Top of Page

ShannonM
Gabber Extraordinaire

352 Posts

Posted - 10/13/2007 :  07:38:07 AM  Show Profile Send ShannonM a Private Message

quote:
Originally posted by ~bananaKnits~

Machine knitting is not portable and unless I can leave the machine set up it's almost impossible to finish projects. I often knit portions of a project with the machine and finish up by hand. In my opinion there is plenty of "hand" work left even is most of the bulk of the knitting is done on the machine. For me I look at it just as another tool like just another set of needles to use.

I still love hand knitting and have both type of projects going most of the time. I also find that sometimes I'm in the mood for hand knitting and other times to try out a new stitch I've seen or learned on the machine. It helps if you have a network of machine knitters to encourage and learn from.

Of course my little people are all grown up and my husband is a sound sleeper because it is noisy.

Happy Knitting,

I hope you didn't think I was being critical of machine knitting because I'm not. I love my machine.

It's an excellent tool and I use it for lots of projects - usually in spurts because it's a pain to get out and put away. It's great for swatching yarns when you just want to see how the knit up, and I've gotten much better at writing patterns because the process is so much faster. It's an amazing time saver and stash user.

I was just pointing out that buying a beginner machine does not necessarily mean you're going to end up with a whole bunch. Right now I can't see myself buying another one.

Shannon
Go to Top of Page

~bananaKnits~
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
516 Posts

Posted - 10/13/2007 :  5:57:15 PM  Show Profile  Visit ~bananaKnits~'s Homepage  Send ~bananaKnits~ a Yahoo! Message Send ~bananaKnits~ a Private Message
quote:
I hope you didn't think I was being critical of machine knitting because I'm not. I love my machine.

No not at all, usually machine owners/knitters love their machines. I often get remarks from non machine knitters like Oh that's cheating! Of course if you ask any machine knitter we know that is just silly!

Happy Knitting,

Go to Top of Page

Bernie
Chatty Knitter

Canada
115 Posts

Posted - 10/14/2007 :  03:02:40 AM  Show Profile Send Bernie a Private Message
Hi: I've heard many comments about *cheating* for machine knitting also. And people saying it's not really knitting. I just compare it to using a sewing machine to make clothes. The reason I have so many machines are for the different gauges. I have punch card and electronic machines and love them all. Even with the machines being noisy, doesn't bother my husband, he can sleep right through a bad thunder storm. I also do a ton of hand knitting. My children are all grown, but next week I'll be teaching my 4 year old granddaughter to knit on a machine. She's eager to learn so that's the best time.
Bernie
Go to Top of Page

~bananaKnits~
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
516 Posts

Posted - 10/15/2007 :  12:30:12 PM  Show Profile  Visit ~bananaKnits~'s Homepage  Send ~bananaKnits~ a Yahoo! Message Send ~bananaKnits~ a Private Message
Bernie that's wonderful! I was about that age when I first learned how to knit and I've knit ever since 60 years! I don't have a granddaughter (yet) but hoping that someday I will. Knitting has been one of the most rewarding hobbies I've had over the years.

Some times I knit a lot and other times I let it rest but always a lot of fun to construct my own clothing.

As far as cheating as I said it's just silly. I sometimes ask those who say cheating why are you using knitting needles? That's cheating use your fingers or sticks you've made now that is true knitting. I feel that the machine is just another tool to get the job done. Plenty of skill is required for machine knitting.

Happy Knitting,

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.52 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.