Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: A new whodunit about a true yarn whisperer
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Knitting Machine Talk
 Standard Gauge Machines
 Neck finishing help,please!!!
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

luna06
New Pal

Yugoslavia
2 Posts

Posted - 09/29/2007 :  12:46:20 PM  Show Profile Send luna06 a Private Message
Hi!

My name is Teodora and i am typing you from Serbia.I have two brother and one singer memo matic knitting machine.I have problem making nice neck finish.Can anyone help me and explain me step by step or maybe with picture how to finish neck line to be nice?

Thank you

marvma
New Pal

USA
15 Posts

Posted - 10/01/2007 :  5:45:16 PM  Show Profile Send marvma a Private Message
Hi Teodora. I am Wendy from Michigan in USA. Before I can go further, I need to know how do your necklines look now. What sort of garment are you trying to put a neckline on, and how do you want your neckline to look? One easy way to finish a neck line is to just do a hung hem. What this means is to hang your neckline on needles, but you need to know how many and I am not sure how to tell you this. If your pattern does not indicate how many, then hold you garment up to the needles and sort of guess how many you will need. Hang for your neckline on these needles. Bring your needles all the way out to the hold position. With your main color, e-wrap every other needle. Put your yarn in the carriage and carefully knit across. Knit about 6 rows, depending on how wide you want your neckline.
Increase tension 1 full number. knit 1 row. turn tension back. Knit as many rows as before the tension increase. End with your carriage on the LEFT, you may have to knit one less row to accomplish this, but that's okay. Now, pick up from the e-wrap row. hang stitches on every other needle. Pull all your needles out to hold position. Knit one row to the right. Now, if you want your neckline to be stretchy to fit over your head in case of small neckline, do a double peg bind off. (with your latch tool, transfer stitch to tool. yarn goes to the right and behind the second gate peg from the needle the stitch was on.) If you want a neckline that is not stretchy, do a regular bind off. There are many, many other simple necklines to do. I have found some from the internet in the past, but I don't have the links right on hand. So, there you have it. Remember to practice this before you try it on a real garment. Keep the faith, share the peace. Marvma
Go to Top of Page

luna06
New Pal

Yugoslavia
2 Posts

Posted - 10/06/2007 :  12:39:20 PM  Show Profile Send luna06 a Private Message
Thank you Marvma.I am not sure if i understand but i will try to do it step by step.My English is not perfect so that is maybe reason why i don't understand.For me it would be usefull to see some pics.Thank you for your time and advice.It is nice to know that there are still good people who are willing to help.THANK YOU!
Go to Top of Page

stellal
Seriously Hooked

New Zealand
956 Posts

Posted - 10/06/2007 :  9:12:42 PM  Show Profile  Visit stellal's Homepage Send stellal a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by marvma

Now, if you want your neckline to be stretchy to fit over your head in case of small neckline, do a double peg bind off. (with your latch tool, transfer stitch to tool. yarn goes to the right and behind the second gate peg from the needle the stitch was on.) If you want a neckline that is not stretchy, do a regular bind off.

this is great advice, can you explain a little more about the double peg bind off, i have a student who was seeking a stetchy bind off, and I am not able to help her with this, maybe you can?

Stella
I don't spend nearly enough time knitting. I don't have nearly enough yarn stashed for the future. My knit to frog ratio is around 2:1 and on show here www.Knitknitfrog.blogspot.com
where I even video my knitting!
Go to Top of Page

marvma
New Pal

USA
15 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2007 :  5:47:23 PM  Show Profile Send marvma a Private Message
see if this helps your student, Stella: when you make a regular bind off, you pull one stitch onto the latch tool. you go to the next stitch, usually work from right to left, take that stitch onto the latch hook. to do this, put the hook of the latch tool into the hook of the needle, then pull the needle all the way out to hold with the latch hook. Now with your free hand, push the needle all the way back, this 'transfers' the yarn to the latch tool. the latch tool is still behind the gate peg. with your free hand,bring the antennae yarn in front and between the last gate peg, insert yarn from antenna into hook of latch tool. pull this yarn threw the 2 stitches on the latch tool. One stitch is bound off. This does take some practice, I use my left thumb to push the needles where I need them, and the yarn from the antennae is held between the palm and the fingers. Wow, this is much harder to explain than I thought it would be!!! This is shown in your manual. Now for a double gate peg bind off, instead of going one gate peg, you go 2 gate pegs. I shall endeavor to find somewhere on line that shows this better. Keep knitting, Keep the faith, share the peace. Marvma
Go to Top of Page

marvma
New Pal

USA
15 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2007 :  6:41:42 PM  Show Profile Send marvma a Private Message
some sights I found that might help. I will continue to look.

<http://www.jessica-tromp.nl/tips_for_knitting_machine_machineknitting.htm> about 3/4 down the page.

http://www.fiber2yarn.com/catalog.php?item=741 a video to show how to finish hand and machine knits, $39.95 American dollars. Might be helpful for learning bind offs and sewing techniques.

http://www.paradisefibers.com/videos/videoclub.asp Another video. about 3/4 of the way down. "MK02: Machine Knitter’s UH OH Video with Leslye Solomon (no rental available) $34.95 A handy reference manual for machine knitters, this video helps you get through those frustrating moments when the machine seems to be against you. Leslye helps you understand your machine."
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.58 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?

line subscribe to Knitter's Reviwe